Kodi media streaming devices

Kodi is a superb piece of software, maybe the corps should seek an actual modern way of revenue streams as this isn’t going to go the way of limewire etc etc

1 Like

Kodi the Mogul Slayer?

Viewing figures for Sky Sports’ live Premier League matches have dropped by a massive 19% this season despite showing the Manchester derby and several high-profile Liverpool games live.

They claim to be unworried by the figures as they have still broadcast the ten most-watched Premier League games this season, but that will be little consolation after Sky and BT Sport paid over £5billion between them for their new three-year contracts.

The rise of illegal streaming is a massive threat to Sky Sports, whose managing director Barney Francis said in July: “It’s our biggest season ever. Our opening set of fixtures offers our viewers some mouth-watering fixtures and we’ll show every club at least once by the end of September.”

1 Like

Funnily enough, I can’t remember Saints being on Sky so much - they’re on again this weekend…

That being said, I generally can only get to 1 or 2 games a season but want to see the action…streaming sites fill that need. With a good ad blocker they’re pretty good these days.

That being said, if we could get every match, every week like you can in the USA (or similar for all games in Germany) then I’d pay for it (they can then drop match ticket prices to get bums on seats for the atmosphere)

Rant over.

1 Like

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

Funnily enough, I can’t remember Saints being on Sky so much - they’re on again this weekend…

That’s more to do with playing on a Sunday than anything else.

That being said, I generally can only get to 1 or 2 games a season but want to see the action…streaming sites fill that need. With a good ad blocker they’re pretty good these days.

Kodi obviates the need for ad-blockers completely on account of not being a browser :slight_smile:

That being said, if we could get every match, every week like you can in the USA (or similar for all games in Germany) then I’d pay for it (they can then drop match ticket prices to get bums on seats for the atmosphere)

Rant over.

Be careful what you wish for. That deal works with overseas markets because it’s unlikely to cost us anything in attendance, save those rare people that jet around the world to see Saints. Over in Italy, where clubs sell their own rights individually, attendances plummeted, never getting back to their peak.

Easy to see how it happens. It might actually be happening now as a result of stuff like Kodi.

Originally posted by @pap

Kodi the Mogul Slayer? _ ** ** _

Yep and who’s fault is that ?

1. Sky, who’s pricing is so expensive because they’re paying so much for the screening rights.

2. The clubs themselves, who are raking in fortunes from Sky but won’t cut ticket prices for the fans.

People want to watch football and see their team play. If they can’t afford either of the above routes, they will find alternatives.

Not only that but most people don’t even see illegal streaming as being wrong. After years of being fleeced on two fronts, even the most honest just look at it as payback.

1 Like

Pap, you make some good points

But, I have to agree with Steve’s arguments.

My kids and their friends don’t see “mainstream” media as the way forward - their viewing is internet based and there is no “morality” about how they source the programmes they want to watch. I’ve argued the case with them, but no change in views. The “media” need to wake up to the new way in which their future paying customers view programmes

Just my opinion.

3 Likes

But if clubs used the extra broadcasting wealth to halve ticket prices, for example, would attendances still suffer ?

I think most fans would rather go to an actual game if it was at home and they could afford it. As for the die hards who travel to away games, they’ll continue to do it just for the outing, irregardless of if it’s on TV.

1 Like

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

But if clubs used the extra broadcasting wealth to halve ticket prices, for example, would attendances still suffer ?

I think most fans would rather go to an actual game if it was at home and they could afford it. As for the die hards who travel to away games, they’ll continue to do it just for the outing, irregardless of if it’s on TV.

I honestly don’t know how much price incentivises. The Sunderland game was cheap as chips, but poorly attended. Makes a huge difference to the family that needs several tickets. It’s probably the cheapest component for anyone that does beers and/or travel as well. Price reductions on tickets may not be a huge incentive to those people.

If we are going to do reductions, I’d sooner see that directed toward people that really can’t afford it, kids. Back in the day, I could go to Saints games on my pocket money, and I didn’t get that much. Think it was three quid in for a boy, but I’d probably give the kids their own stewarded section. Could be a goer, especially if safe standing is back on the agenda.

Exactly this.

Times are changing and business, in whatever field, has to keep up or implode.

There’s always going to be a buck to be made out of the Premier League. It’s down to the broadcasters/clubs to figure out what the modern day customer wants and adapt their business model to suit. The ball’s in their court and they need to act if they want continued success.

Streaming is not going away, all they can do it to reduce the need for it by offering a decent, affordable alternative

1 Like

Sorry but I disagree Pap. I think the poor attendances for the Sunderland game was more about the sheer volume of games lately. Some people have done Israel, Milan, City last sunday, Chelsea this sunday (sold out despite being on TV) and then there’s Inter and Prague coming up. Something had to give and it was the shit League Cup game.

I think most people who went to the Sunderland game, more than likely went because it was cheap as chips and they could get tickets easily, as no purchase history was required.

Personally, I don’t go to many games nowadays, purely because of the cost. When a cheap deal comes up for a meh game, well I’m just too out of the habit now to be bothered.

Your kids and their friends sound like they’re woke af :lou_sunglasses:

The exercise of setting their own media agenda is probably a fruitful one. It’s something I’m all too familiar with. I’m a legit lad when it comes to software these days, I buy everything. I sometimes have youngsters ask me why I use Paint .NET instead of Photoshop.

“Because you have to pay for Photoshop”. It just doesn’t compute.

Didn’t when I was a nipper either. I used a combination of double decker ghetto blasters and my mate’s freeze cartridge for C64 stuff. Teenagers with Amigas would go to each other’s houses, armed with a cache of discs, X-Copying all night. We didn’t even pay for SNES or Megadrive games. Some of us had those on disk too. At Uni, everyone swapped PC wares. Took a lot more time back then, but the same mechanics were at play. Kids (and some adults too) don’t see copying as theft.

Exactly this.

Times are changing and business, in whatever field, has to keep up or implode.

There’s always going to be a buck to be made out of the Premier League. It’s down to the broadcasters/clubs to figure out what the modern day customer wants and adapt their business model to suit. The ball’s in their court and they need to act if they want continued success.

Streaming is not going away, all they can do it to reduce the need for it by offering a decent, affordable alternative

I suspect people see streaming even less as theft, even if the rights holders may vociferously disagree. There are also people savvy enough to know the final recipient of the cash, that might morally justify themselves along those lines.

Think you’re right though. Streaming ain’t going away, and is in many ways superior to the top whack Sky package, certainly in terms of choice. I started buying games for myself at around seventeen. I could finally afford it, and more importantly, the benefits of buying outweighed the inconvenience of not. Streaming can be bloody inconvenient. Those that use web sites are at risk of malware, everyone is at theoretical risk of prosecution, quality is variable as is reliability. There are people that would be willing to pay a fee to swerve all that stuff.

Don’t know how much room the PL has to manoeveure. The deals seem fairly rigid. The PL can’t feasibly offer legal 3PM streaming without utterly devaluing Match of the Day.

1 Like

Don’t know how much room the PL has to manoeveure. The deals seem fairly rigid. The PL can’t feasibly offer legal 3PM streaming without utterly devaluing Match of the Day.

Sunday and Monday (and now Fridays) night football has already devalued MOTD to a certain extent. Some Saturdays there’s only 4 or 5 games played and they’re just be the Prems ‘also rans’ with Sky having creamed off the top games.

1 Like

Kodi the Mogul Slayer?

Viewing figures for Sky Sports’ live Premier League matches have dropped by a massive 19% this season despite showing the Manchester derby and several high-profile Liverpool games live.

They claim to be unworried by the figures as they have still broadcast the ten most-watched Premier League games this season, but that will be little consolation after Sky and BT Sport paid over £5billion between them for their new three-year contracts.

The rise of illegal streaming is a massive threat to Sky Sports, whose managing director Barney Francis said in July: “It’s our biggest season ever. Our opening set of fixtures offers our viewers some mouth-watering fixtures and we’ll show every club at least once by the end of September.”

http://www.football365.com/news/sky-sports-viewing-figures-down-by-19-per-cent

Won’t be Kodi that will be openbox.

Always said this, they need to look at other revenue avenues, streaming isn’t going away and they will never win that battle, I am never going back to them, at £126 a month! Not a chance, its our game not theirs.

1 Like

This is fact, the corps look at the piracy viewing figures or estimates and are glad in some respects it is going up, why?

Merchandise, they get em in the Disney shop or club store.

They can not even guess how many people are watching on the blag anymore, this is streaming mind and not card sharing, two different things.

Last week in the High Court, Justice Arnold agreed to a request from the Football Association and the Premier League, and supported by the BBC, amongst others, that broke new ground, technically and legally.

The order, which has the support of the major UK ISPs, is unusual in several ways. It permits the ISPs to block access to servers (such as those accessed by third-party software addons), rather than a website.

The blocking occurs in real-time, for a few minutes at a time: the duration of a football match. And the order expires in May - when the English football season ends.

Sits back opens popcorn & watches you lot trying to set up sling boxes or dodgy Dns’s to here so you can watch

Whoa there @barry-sanchez , comparing apples and oranges here, Openbox is an OS (or, more technically correct, a windows managaer) whereas Kodi is an application ported to many OSs.

Not read any further but I suspect that OpenBox will still need a Kodi like application for people to stream things.

Openbox is a freeview box that can use ccam lines to open up sky, kodi as you say is an app, openbox is a basic freeview box with interent capability, in essense an old card sharing system. I have Kodi on sitck, box and android boxes and I also have openboxes for sky streaming,I have basically any channel you want if you know where to look from German wanking fests to Columbian skydiving.

Fair enough @barry-sanchez I obviously looked at a different OpenBox.

Your Openbox looks interesting except you can’t seem to get HD from Sky any more, that for me is a deal breaker!!