Is this racist?

Is it just me, or is anyone else having issues knowing what is and isn’t racist, or homophobic, or sexist anymore? I can’t see that a white man dressing up as a character from Pulp Fiction - who happens to be black - and thus using makeup to create that effect is racist. A number of years ago I “blacked up” as I had a Mr T costume. Again, is this racist?

Genuinely struggling now.

Simple to me… its not the current blacking up to try and be a Jules from Pulp Fiction that is particularly racist, but the fact the action is in effect the same as the historic ‘blacking up’ when it it was in effect a piss take, racist ignorance… so its done without any sensitivities to the historic context, and IMHO should be avoided

It’s ok for ironman is it ok for everyone?

I’m going with a yes.

So, you’re saying that it’s insensitive but not racist?

Vincent Vega is much cooler, anyway and he should have gone as him.

Not quite… its that to me being insensitive to the historic racist undertones of blacking up would suggest the person does not care too much about the historical context… It might not be done with racist intentions, in fact it could be done innocently, but to observers that lack of sensitivity could easily be interpreted as someone who does not care bout the offence it can cause…

I know you are not a racist Cherts, but would probably in hindsight advise against blacking up as Mr T no matter how innocent the intention.

Well, I did it about 10 years ago now, and don’t plan to do it again.

Going Chinese next time.

1 Like

He could have made a bit more effort considering the fuss it has caused, I wouldn’t have known who he was if it weren’t for the article. The hair’s all wrong.

I think you should keep your options open. Mahatma Gandhi could be a good look for you.

3 Likes

Don’t stop there. I think Angela Merkel is also within reach for him.

2 Likes

Or someone with slightly more appeal? Pol Pot?

2 Likes

Another racist he was, never really gets mentioned and when it does it gets brushed under the carpet.

Like it does with Churchill?

I suspect both of them might be better remembered for other things.

1 Like

Churchill was racist, no argument from me, man of his times like Gandhi, snowflakes can’t handle that though, why isn’t dancehall banned?

Because it’s not 1990?

But its homophobic shite being sold?

Dancehall - the reggae based stuff?

Stems from there yes, incidentally from a homophobic place, but the snowflakes don’t like that one either so it gets pushed aside…