šŸŒ Is the planet Earth doomed?

Well I would assume that most people would charge it overnight so it is ready for the next morning.

But yes your looking at worst case scenerio.

Pigeons toes will still get warm though :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah strange that UAE are well on the way to having their Nuclear Plant come online yet the Yanks are jumping around and shouting at Saudi for wanting to go the same way.

(I may still go back 1 day soā€¦)

OK, just talked to him.

The leaf comes with a standard 13amp 3 pin plug that he can plug in the house, takes 8 hours to charge.

He also got a government initiative to install a 32amp charger, that takes 3 hours to fully charge the car.

If he charges at home it costs around Ā£4

However he can, and does, use the free chargers at the various shopping centres. Hooks the car up and goes shopping.

A full charge will do 100 miles in summer, 80 miles in winter.

So petrol is about Ā£5.60 a gallon (working on Ā£1.25 a litre), a normal town car will do 35 mpg. So 100 miles is about Ā£15ā€¦

1 Like

No one read the last article i posted by the look of it. Jevons paradox be damned, weā€™re selfish and refuse to look at the reality.
Hereā€™s a shorter one that shows the problem(lie).

Hereā€™s a more hopeful outlook.

ā€œItā€™s the year 2040, and all new vehicle sales in the United States, the European Union and China are electric. Coal demand has cratered, renewable energy use has skyrocketed and energy storage has been deployed at a massive scale to complement renewables growth.ā€

Until you get a bit further.

ā€œFossil fuel use will not disappear any time soon. Our scenario envisages fossil fuels having a 77 percent share of global energy demand ā€” versus 79 percent in our base case ā€” as major markets such as China and the EU reach similar levels of fossil fuel shares.ā€

Thatā€™s from a Wood MacKenzie report, that i wanted to link, until i saw this.

So thatā€™s not going to happen.
We live on a planet with finite resources. We should remember that.

That report states

Renewables and natural gas show a trend away from fossil fuels

Natural gas is a fossil fuel ???

On the unit I am on in the South China Sea we produce about 38,000 barrels of crude oil per day and about 335m SCFM of gas per day most of the gas is either reinjected into the wells or send ashore to be liquified or used to make methanol. But we still have to burn off a minimum of between 3-7 m SCFM of gas per day which if I could harness it I would never have to pay fuel bill again. But present tech does not allow us to do so.

Do you mean this bit?

ā€œWind and solar now vie with natural gas to provide new electricity generating capacity. To some, these trends signal the worldā€™s latest energy transition: away from fossil fuels and toward a renewable future.ā€

If it is, some people think because gas is cleaner, they need do no more. This kind of person.

When you mention the scale of production & waste, itā€™s a great reminder of the mess weā€™ve got ourselves in and how unprepared for the future we are.
On the tech side, do you think that tech would be available now, if the potential profit margins made its development more appealing?

Gas is cleaner than burning MGO (marine gas oil) which we have as back up for our generators if the wells are shut in but it still produces co2 and other greenouse gases
But still will not be as green as wind or wave / solar power apart from the cost of actually producing the generators to get the electricity from the green sources.

NB I am not defending the use of fossil fuels just that at present we still need them.

The company I am working for is looking all the time for ways to reduce our carbon footprint and any ideas or tech that is available to reduce this we would try and use as much as possible.

But to put it in context.

We have to segregate all our waste offshore

ie Paper / Plastic / metels / contaminated waste / chemicals ect.

I can guarantee that the plastic / paper / and metal waste is all remixed together on shore and put into a landfill. The chemical and hazardous waste is treated and we recieve a certificate back from the final company when it has beeen safely disposed of.

I understand youā€™re not defending it and iā€™ve highlighted the addiction(ours, not yours). The problem is, weā€™re still debating an issue that has long past. Itā€™s too late to transition and no one in the west has the will to give up anything, even as the reality dawns(that word finite also shows up the truth behind that lie). We donā€™t seem to like inconvenient truths and itā€™ll be the death of us all. Call it natural selection in action(just hope we donā€™t take everything else with us).
The acceleration is gathering pace each year, just look at ice loss, ocean temperature/acidity and methane spikes. Weā€™re driving towards a wall and canā€™t seem to stop ourselves pushing down more and more on the accelerator. Lemmings, one and all.

Thanks for that.
From a very narrow perspective of having installed PV systems in buildings, my experience is that costs for installing PV systems havenā€™t dropped as far as he claimed, but he did say that it was the cost of producing electricity from PV as opposed to PV capital costs.
Our experience of PV installation is that they are expensive for the benefit. The cost and complexity of battery storage is still a major hurdle, so domestically and for small commercial use, it really only lends itself to hot water heating which can be stored in an insulated cylinder for use later. The tech has advanced quite a bit though and hopefully it will only be a few years before wholesale PV installations and good storage options are commonplace.

I have virtually 365 sunny days a year (sun will be out sometime during the day) here in the Philippines but the cost of putting in Solar panels and I have a perfect roof for doing so, is so exhorbirant It is just not worth it. I would be long gone before any cost savings of using it reflected on what I had paid out.

If the kids and grandkids were guaranteed to stay in the same house it would be ok for them as an inheritence (I suppose)

With regards the Methane spikes our company is looking at tech to be able to recover the methane from the ocean floor and then get it topside to utilise it. But its not going to be an easy solution and for the outlay they need to know where the fizures releasing it are. Another problem with this is you never know when you tap one source will it then back up and force itself through a weaker outlet. Leaving our expensive tech on the seabed with no supply.

The figures you see do seem to depend on the interest of writer in a lot of cases. Makes it very hard to work out the truth. As for storage, iā€™m more cynical about what we can do. Weā€™ve known about oil and its wonderful energy storage capabilities for centuries, but have failed to develop anything close to that(nuclear, but thatā€™s dangerous as fuck, mentally complicated and running out of resources).
Interesting to read how people find the cost/practicalities of new tech and i would dearly love to be proved wrong, so views from any perspective are welcome.

Burn the methane?
Thatā€™s so crazy. You raise important issues. The EROEI will be piss poor and the potential for unsafe release is more damaging than fracking on a global scale.
Shows the real fear of the addict.
I donā€™t think Lemmings rush to their deaths this eagerly.
Thatā€™s my last bit of hope burned off :disappointed:

Again, from my limited experience, we have very few Clients who would choose to install PV. What drives their installation is compliance with various codes. For example, the Building Research Establishment (BRE) produce an environmental assessment package for some developments. Some Councils will insist through planning consent that a project should comply with these and part of that process could involve using PV (or any other sustainable energy source) depending upon the score or rating required.
IMHO the B Regs are the tool to do this. They are under review all the time, but I suspect any form of Brexit will result in Government reigning in, or worse rescinding, these regulations to satisfy short term avarice as they seek to deregulate what they can. That gimp, Rees-Mogg has already said it and it fits with Tory rhetoric.
It would be a shame as there have been some real advances in clean and sustainable energy in construction over the last 10 years.

I never mentioned burning it at present Methane is released from fizzures in the sea bed it comes up through the sea and is released into the atmosphere naturally.

We want to tap it as it comes out the seabed and then contain it so it can be utilized instead of just dissapating into the atmosphere.

Agree completely on the future. That deal with America demands we open everything up for profit now and fuck the future(the orange gimp even said it).
Although iā€™m a cynic iā€™m also with you on the need to keep encouraging development. Canā€™t get anywhere without taking the first step.
Keep us informed if you hear about any changes. Theyā€™ll be buried under so many other problems, non industry people wonā€™t notice.

1 Like

How do you plan to utilise natureā€™s weapon of choice?
Methane is being released because of our burning of hydrocarbons. We really need to stay away from methane. This is the thing that will kill us all, not carbon dioxide.
Please get anyone that plans to make a profit from methane locked up, as they are quite obviously suicidal(on a global scale).
I may have posted this before(i like Regā€™s writing).
Quick write up.
https://regmorrison.edublogs.org/2011/09/26/methane/
Full version.

Methane is being released from the earths crust under the sea.

We are doomed

Sorry we warm the planet release the methane I want to catch it and use it which warms the planet and releases more

We are doomed

Edit due to me being an idiot

It is. Its also being released from other places like the permafrost(can we still call it that?).A hell of a lot is under the fast melting ice caps. How will these be captured i wonder and if weā€™re not going to burn it, what are we going to do with it. Where does the profit for the massive investment come from? Theyā€™ll want a return.
It sounds like a good idea, but doesnā€™t seem to have a logical conclusion.
Youā€™re taking too much blame here, so iā€™ve edited your edit.

We canā€™t change what has been, but we can stop compounding the problems. We wonā€™t, so as you say, we are doomed(by our own arrogance).

1 Like

Edit due to me being an idiot
[/quote]

Donā€™t worry. Youā€™re in good company. Take a seat.

:wink:

1 Like