🌍 Is the planet Earth doomed?

Interesting debate in office today when one woman said this wasn’t right for kids to miss school for a day to protest. My view was it was fine to go and protest. She said that kids have to be in school for discipline and boundaries (no mention of learning) and that there were families where kids didn’t get this (you have to remember where we work does probably skew your view on kids) and that school is the place for it. I said it’s not and that it’s important to have freedom and that going to school is more about us being compliant for later life and work places. One person agreed with me.

3 Likes

Not sure about the whole thing, as kids will jump on anything. That said, anything that raises awareness in the people that are going to have to deal with it, can only be good. If they just get enough info to make them notice and look themselves, that’s a big achievement.
Compliant is the perfect answer for anyone that says discipline and boundaries :wink:

1 Like

I look forward to them taking the next logical step and refusing lifts to school in mummy or daddy’s gas guzzler and walking. Oh— hang on a minute!

3 Likes

Wearing my old farts hat:
Do you know how many times I was driven to school in a velocipede or charabanc ?
NONE…not once, not ever.

However I am now burning up all those Carbon Footprint credits to fuck the future of all those spoilt brats.

2 Likes

An interesting read …

On that theme, this is a blistering early Tim Roth performance. And yes, I know Tim Roth has a swastika tattooed on his head.

2 Likes

Well as it takes more energy to make a paper bag than a plastic bag they may be on to something

If we recycled the plastic bags properly it would leave less of a carbon footprint.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1100124557141192704

But yeah we can enjoy 20 degrees in February. Whoop Whoop.

I saw this back in the day and thought then he was one to watch out for in the future. Not exactly set the world alight, but has done some good stuff.

That’s a pile of turd, his role in Pulp Fiction mind you…

The mention of plastic on the Glastonbury thread reminded me of this(Mike writes very well put together articles).

Modern civilization has become so intertwined with petroleum-based products that their remnants are now found in our excrement. It seems no living thing can escape microplastics, not even the eggs of remote Arctic birds. This should come as no surprise if you look at the scale of the problem. Plastic production has grown from 2 million metric tons in 1950 to roughly 400 million metric tons today(more than 99% of plastics made today are with fossil fuels and only a tiny fraction of it recycled). There are five massive oceanic gyres filled with pelagic plastics, chemical sludge and other human detritus; one of these gyres, named the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, is three times the size of France and growing exponentially. The health and environmental effects are grim; organized society may not even be around to examine the long-term effects of these persistent synthetic materials:

https://collapseofindustrialcivilization.com/2019/02/19/the-inconvenient-truth-of-modern-civilizations-inevitable-collapse/

I was just sent this and thought the best place to put it was here.

Now whether the figures are true I cannot say.

But I can confirm that power stations are only 35-50% efficient in conversion of energy (I worked in them)

The electricity cables supplying your homes would be the minimum size for the current allowed so increasing the amount of current to allow for home chargers would require more infrastructure.

NB I am only the delivery boy :grinning:

THE PINEHURST PRESS NEWS & VIEWS
Interesting Take on Electric Cars
As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology. However, I
have been troubled for a longtime by the fact that the electrical
energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and
that means more power generation and a huge increase in the
distribution infrastructure. Whether generated from coal, gas, oil,
wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited. A friend sent
me the following that says it very well. You should all take a look
at this short article.

IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN
PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES,
WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND
BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR
MAINTENANCE!

In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of
those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg
in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity
to run it . This is the first article I’ve ever seen and tells the
story pretty much as I expected it to.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things
yet they’re being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put
engineering and math to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro
Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed,
He then got serious.

If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you
had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system
for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped
with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes),
The electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three
houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have
electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our
residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius
elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged
to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems
with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have
to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter “investment”
will not be revealed until we’re so far down this dead-end road that
it will be presented with an ‘OOPS…!’ and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are
eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green
person, read it anyway. It’s enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and
he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted
only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
"Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran
on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the
16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10
hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5
hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging
Time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned ,
so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16
per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the
Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a
gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32
Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs
$46,000 plus. So, the American Government wants loyal Americans not to
do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs
more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to
drive across the country.

Now I know you all know I work for getting oil out of the ground most of which goes to make fuels. So I have an intrest in keeping my job alive.

NB the pricings of the yank can be translated to uk european prices quite easily.

But you will also need the same oil out of the ground for lubricants for the various moving parts in your electric cars and to make the plastic that they willl mostly be built out of.

The bit in bold about gasoline tax probably is different in the UK as they certainly dont maintain the roads with all the tax they get from petrol and diesel. but your road tax for electric and petrol driven cars is certainly different and could be applied.

1 Like

So what it means is, even if my next car isn’t electric it’s likely several of my neighbour’s cars will be, fuckin’ up the whole street’s power supply.

Now where’s that Meme generator. :lou_facepalm_2:

Appreciate not your comments, PS, but using the Tesla fast charger as an example is selective at best. Most electric vehicles only need a 16A supply for standard charging, although it takes a long time to charge a flat battery this way. There are fast chargers available and even these only need a 32A supply.
Logistics are a big problem in the UK though. The adverts for EV’s show lovely spacious garages with secure charging points, totally unrepresentative of most streets in the UK. And charge points are not cheap. We’ve stuck one in a housing development we just finished and it was 3k with the VAT.

Totally understand the comments regarding the suppllys only being 16A or 32A chargers required @Numptyboi but if you add all of those supplies up to a single street in the UK the power grid to each street would have to be upgraded. Allthough it may stop the pigeons sitting on the power lines as there feet will be roasting.

1 Like

Besides charging stations there is a need for massive Edge Computing infrastructure to support driverless cars & IoT sensor tech.
And the yanks & Asians will just burn more coal & oil

Duterte is going for Gas fired power stations in the Philippines slightly cleaner but not as good as Nuclear which the yanks will not let us play with.

One of my work colleagues has a Nissan Lead (I think) the fully electric one, he says that he has a charger adaptor on the wall outside of his house that is totally unsecured, that is anyone can rock up to it and plug there car in!

He also says that it doesn’t cost an awful lot to charge the car up, I seem to recall he mentioned in the region of p not £ but I may be mis-remembering.

Also isn’t the load a worse case scenario, if everyone in a street was charging their cars at the same time the load would be high, but how likely is that going to be???