🥒 🙅‍♂️ I'm Not Putting That In My Mouth

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Last night I ate piglet cooked in a hole in the ground, fermented fish in coconut milk and some sort of mollusc that looked like a massive cockroach.

I also played my best ever game of petanque beating the reigning local champions and made a filthy joke in French.

Happy days.

Quelle est la blague?

Kraken’s Top Ten from in and around Southampton:

1. Zen, Below Bar. Brilliant sushi and sashimi.

2. Kohinoor, Portswood. The masala dosa and chili prawns are insanely good. As is pretty much everything I’ve ever had in there, to be fair.

3. Coriander Lounge, Below Bar. Really very good.

4. Marshalls (used to be Chambers). Kind of a Tex-Mex feel but really good grub. Excellent craft beers too.

5. Baan Thai, Portswood. Used to be called Sara’s. Small, intimate but excellent food.

6. Kali Mirchi, Shirley. I don’t go here often enough, never had a bad meal here and some eye-opening dishes.

7. Ceno, Portswood. They do excellent tapas style picky bits which are great. Very nice decking out front when the weather is nice too.

8. The Rockstone. Pub grub done very well.

9. Trago Lounge, Portswood. Where I’d head to for a decent fry up.

10. The Goat. Decent food on the occasions I’ve been, I’m not overyly keen on the atmosphere though.

1 Like

Have to agree with Kraken on 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

Marshalls just went into administration.

I have to say I’m saddened but not surprised about Marshalls. I like it as it’s never overly busy (except on a match day); but that doesn’t make a great business model.

Had a veggie sunday lunch at the Cowherds on Sunday and we were impressed that it was better than previous ones. The puddings were ridiculosly large. I essentially had a goblet of trifle!

They seems to have made the place brighter and refurb it a bit since we last went.

Was in Southampton this weekend and discovered Namaste Kerala is no more. Sad times. Apparently didn’t pay their rent.

Spent Sunday in the Dancing Man Brewery on a vintage stall. Didn’t eat but it was very busy all day with people having some nice sunday roasts. Really like what htey’ve done with the place. If I lived in Southampton sure I’d be there lots.

Jesus it’s cold in Southampton today. So I am in an ice cream place of course! Mundys on Bedford Place. Having a hot drink but it has little booths with games consoles and alcohol. So may be of interest to others.

4 Likes

Be careful, look what happened to the last goat (on the right) who drank that.

5 Likes

Pie-gate.

How do you eat yours?

Who ate all the pies…

At footie matches in winter I look for their thermonuclear warming characteristics rather than taste and actually eating them…

Edit: probably one for @OzSaintDave to kick off with?

You have to remember that pies in the Antipodes have much softer crusts than the nuclear bunker hardness of a UK pie. They’re much more similar to pasties in taste and texture. I wouldn’t eat one with a knife and fork though. That’s almost as bad as this:

1 Like

Well, yes. As you can probably appreciate, most Politicians do not like eating with their hands as it raises the possibility of spilling food on their expensive clothing and they just can’t be seen in public with dirty clothes!

Having said that, Big Mal does have it wrong, two hands all the way :lou_lol:

Or if you are really skilled, one hand whilst operating heavy machinery :lou_sunglasses:

Sauce is a must for me but personal taste and all that.

@Won-Ton Yes, our pies are deliciously thin in pastry, you must have sent the good convicts down who mastered that art :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Lived in Oz for a year and remember the Four n Twenty brand. Lovely. Although not a blackbird in sight.

Billy Connolly was always going on about an Australian dish called a ‘pea floater’, which he used to get from a place behind Sydney Opera House. I gathered it was a pie floating in a bed of mushy peas. Sounds good to me. Ever had one?

Terry Pratchett described a similar thing in his books so who knows it might be true

In South Australia we call them Pie Floaters which inheritantly is the same thing.

Its pie of choice (99% of the time meat) with a concoction of pea soup and depending on the time of night, varying amounts of tomato sauce.

I believe I did try it once under sufferance but most of it ended in the bin due to my dislike of pea soup and/or the amount of alcohol drank that evening

1 Like

Lightweight.

Yes, I’m not going to argue that point!

Potato top pies are great too.

But is that even a pie?

I get the EU has a view on this.