🥒 🙅‍♂️ I'm Not Putting That In My Mouth

How long was the waiting list for The Hand?

Never have a bad meal at the Kohinor in Portswood, since it went South Indian a couple of years ago. Same people that ran The Gate in Civic Center Rd.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

Would always recommend terravina in ashurst

going to the hand and flowers (Tom kerridge) soon, really looking forward to that

How long was the waiting list for The Hand?

not sure exactly, I think 12 months or something daft. It’s been in the diary for ages.

Oh FFS another really useful thread hijacked by tales of Tokes and his Dogging adventures.

Originally posted by @Intiniki

I quite like Turtle Bay for cocktails but they’re limited in veggie food and sometimes the food is ridiculously spicey. But love the sweet potato fries.

True, they are. I really like the Rastafari Rundown so tend to have that most of the time.

I’m a vegetarian and thinking about it, it’s generally a lot easier to eat out in the city now. After a few years of being restricted to one or two options, I often find it overwhelming to have to actually pick something.

As tips for quick but decent food, Chalk Valley (burgers) and Mexigo (just guess) - both on London Road - do ace grub for about the price of a footlong Subway. No comparison.

Is Emon’s Indian takeaway still going at the very bottom of Shirley Road? Used to get delivery at least twice a week all through the 3rd year of University. Best Indian ever. Giant chunks of chicken, amazing sauce. Lamb Jalfrezi good enough to make a grown man cry. Damn, I’m hungry.

God, I miss decent indian food.

The Goat in Highfield Lane was suprisingly good. A ‘pub’ feel but better than pub food. I had the burger so nothing flash but well made and cooked, Mrs G had very good fish and chips with crushed peas. Yummy fries and the desserts were excellent. Vanilla pannacotta with rhubarb compote and homemade bakewell tart with sour cherry sorbet. mmmmmmm!

Is the Goat the old Highfield Pub?

The Quay Inn in Wareham, if you’re ever over this way, is well worth a visit of an evening. Decent food, due to that it can be quite busy, and on the Wareham rivir so a nice constitutional after eating if you’re that way inclined.

Originally posted by @Intiniki

Originally posted by @Goatboy

The Goat in Highfield Lane was suprisingly good. A ‘pub’ feel but better than pub food. I had the burger so nothing flash but well made and cooked, Mrs G had very good fish and chips with crushed peas. Yummy fries and the desserts were excellent. Vanilla pannacotta with rhubarb compote and homemade bakewell tart with sour cherry sorbet. mmmmmmm!

Is the Goat the old Highfield Pub?

yes

I’m walking from Salisbury to Christchurch in a few weeks time. Staying in Ringwood. Anyone got any decent recommendations for:

a. an ale pub

b. food?

Eight of us went there recently for a special birthday celebration. You have to book about 6 months in advance if you’re looking for a table at a weekend. Nice food but a tad over-rated I thought. He has taken over a pub a few hundred yards from the Hand and, apparently, you can just walk in - no booking necessary. How true that is, I don’t know. It claims to be more of a bistro / pub grub place.

Tried this one on Saturday for a spontaneous lunch:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d7057068-Reviews-Melo_Restaurant-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html
Authentic Iranian food with optional shisha pipes. Generous portions. Only downside is the noisy, ugly road outside.
I’d give it a four out of fiv

1 Like

A couple of faves in Winchester:

El Sabio, a tapas place on the horrible one-way system (used to be a pub called, if memory serves, the Mash Tun). Always had very good food in there, all pretty standard tapas fare but high quality and it’s somewhere I’ve always enjoyed being. Friendly, nice atmosphere, that sort of thing.

River Cottage Canteen - only eaten here once, on my birthday in January this year, but it was bloody good.

I’ve also always had really good food at the Wykeham Arms; many people reckoned that it had gone downhill some years ago, but I’ve been there a number of times in the last few years and it’s always been excellent. It’s also where I went with Mrs Fowllyd on our first date, so there’s more than a little sentimental value there.

So possibly a Salad bar is replacing La Cantina! Are Sotonians really into their salad?

Daily Echo article

1 Like

I have been in our city for the last four days. Had a couple of culinary experiences worth sharing. First off, we did a repeat visit to 7 Bone, the hipster burger place opposite the Gordon Arms on Portswood Road. I was impressed on my first visit. Still does an excellent burger; zero complaints from our party of seven.

This morning, we visited Halladays Tea Rooms on Bedford Place. Completely spontaneous. We were about to partake of the over-priced breakfast buffet at Jury’s Inn, but fortunately, the staff were so incompetent that I ended up getting pissed off and deciding to take my biz someplace else. Glad I did.

Excellent, generous breakfasts that fed five, looked amazing and turned out to be loads cheaper than the hot-plate shit at the hotel. Both are recommended.

Had a meal at the ‘Dolce Vita’ Italian restaraunt in Hamble last night and I can highly recommend it…they also serve ‘Birra Moretti’ lager which I tried for the first time and really enjoyed…much better than Peroni.

Also had a afternoon tea there and also recommend it. The Fat Fig nearby is also good for Mediterranean food.

Last night I ate piglet cooked in a hole in the ground, fermented fish in coconut milk and some sort of mollusc that looked like a massive cockroach.

I also played my best ever game of petanque beating the reigning local champions and made a filthy joke in French.

Happy days.

4 Likes

That really is a ‘I’m Not Putting That In My Mouth’ dinner for me.