🧌 I'm going to say it womens tennis is an absolute rip off

If you look at the average height of women there is definitely a case for the little blesses to have lower nets.

Don’t make me do a Paxman or a @gavstar, mate.

You say women’s tennis is a rip-off. I would like to know how much you’ve been ripped off.

How much money have you spent on women’s tennis this year?

The princely fee of fuck all, my point was if you paid you’d feel shortchanged.

You don’t pay your license fee?
If you do, you’ve payed for privilege of women’s tennis. Same goes for any high fee, bombarded with adverts channel.

Well I could have been contrite and said that but it would mean little.

Oh I have long passed the age when I worry about that sort of thing. I know what I am and am not, as do those who know me.

2 Likes

As little as this?

We all pay(even those of us that don’t watch it) if we pay a license fee. If as you say Halep was outstanding, that’s what was worth the money(to some).
No sport is going to be the same when you compare the men and women, how could it be with the physical differences. Stop trying to compare and enjoy the experience, or if that doesn’t interest, find something else to fill your time.

How can they get equal prize money if we can’t compare?

Because they are not competing with men?

Why when they get the same money?

The women’s game is separate from the men’s game. Why compare the two? Why do you have to judge women as they relate to men?

1 Like

Of course you can compare

At the beginning of the womens and mens games there are 128 players taking part of each sex.
The prize money is split evenly between the two tournaments. Unless you get an Amatuer player involved when his or her prize money is split evenly with the people he / she is playing with at the time they are put out of the tournament.

Me too Barry me too. But we cannot know it all can we so we will all be ignorant of some things.

Article that helps a bit. It’s only in the big grand slams were it has parity but they play less.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2018/jul/14/tennis-pay-gap-shouldnt-be-gender-based

That proves that the womens game is reliant on the mens?

Not sure that ÂŁper tournament is valid -for example halep may have played more, Nadal has had a lot of injuries and would be more selective in choosing tournaments and focusing on the biggies with more prize money

That said there is no reason why prize cannot be the same in every tournament.

So essentially, we have a man not being ripped off by women’s tennis at all complaining about being ripped off by women’s tennis?

This is another one of those occasions when you’re getting outraged at someone else, either people that actually have laid down money to watch women’s tennis, or the hypothetical version of you that paid the money and watched a 55m game.

In either case, I don’t know why you’re bothering.

2 Likes

Maybe I like being outraged? Thats not the issue though is it.

Think in the normal world you are spot in with your previous about 50 vs 30 hours, the idea of equal pay is about the same hourly rate for both men and women, irrespective of number of hours and works and that is as it should be

But with sport, as with entertainment, remuneration has more to do with the level of sponsorship or commercial value of the ‘talent’ male or female. Women’s tennis generates a huge amount of sponsorship for the players as there huge numbers on women who play the game for fitness and leisure and thus high numbers of customers for all items endorsed by the best women players… and so it generates good TV revenues as well, so there is not much in it from a commercial value perspective, so the prize money should and does more generally reflect that… and not the number of sets they play

With other sports, such as women’s cycling, there is so little commercial interest so less funding available, less pay… same with football, sadly unless there are similar viewing figures (or commercial opportunities from sales of boots and kit etc, or other advertising), for women’s domestic matches, there will always be a pay gap… no different than the gap between Prem and L1… its all about the commercial value as opposed to the sex or quality, or athleticism.

In effect, yes women should always be paid equal for doing the same job, but with sport or other ‘talent’ based remuneration, its not always the ‘same job’ form a commercial value perspective… Tennis is one sport in which its much more the aligned

3 Likes