🏳️‍🌈 Homophobia in Football

I totally agree that this problem wont begin to go away until players are brave enough to come out. I dont agree about football crowds. The fact that some Leicester morons displayed their ignorance show that the moronic level amonst some fans is still high.

wow, this is a whole new ball game. I applaud it, but I think a lot of football fans will carry on singing these type of songs, because they have been told they cannot. Of course they will quite rightly pay the price.

So, will “kick it out” make a fuss if for instance the terraces sing some sort of song about Shlong not having a very long dong? I suspect not.

He’s an ethnic minority after all, just a tad white - I am allowed to say that aren’t I?

Clifford Stott, a professor of social psychology at Keele University, is an expert on crowd behaviour.

_“Football fans have always chanted in a way that is sometimes on the edge,” _

No shit Clifford!

Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel, terrorism, rape - most football fans didn’t know there was an edge!

If we want to try and encourage younger fans to the game perhaps we need to move slightly away from the extreme end of abuse and consider whether we would shout the same thing at someone in the street.

I’m all for abusing opposition players - but we do need to have some limits, and in a civilised world they need to be self-imposed.

5 Likes

Trouble is, the average football fan doesn’t think abuse like “Hey, you can’t kick a football very well!” and “Your haircut is below average but I accept your right to express yourself!” is very effective in putting an opposition player down.

2 Likes

Seriously, I raised this on the “I wasn’t bored” thread, is this chant really racist?

“Romelu Lukaku, he’s our Belgian scoring genius with a 24-inch penis, scoring all our goals, bellend by his toes.”

No mention of colour, nothing, it could equally be sung about, say, Gabbiadini!!

1 Like

Yeah I’m not convinced they’ve picked the right battle here - is it racist against Belgians?

Or are we worried that France and Holland will take offence?

1 Like

How big is his cock? If his penis is 24 inches then it’s just a song based on fact. He should be made to get it out in front of an FA panel.

5 Likes

If it is, i’m sure he’ll find no shortage of work after he quits playing football.

1 Like

I’m not sure they could get it to stand up in front of an FA panel.

2 Likes

A valid point. They seem to suggest this song was written by Racists, but it could just as easily be an Ex Girlfriend. For all we know, he wrote it himself.

1 Like

I guess this is as good a place as any for this.

Need to get this sorted so that its a non issue… I would humbly suggest there are the same percentage of gay footballers as there are gay fans and no one really gives cares apart forma few sad old bigoted cunts and uneducated teens…

8 Likes

Agreed MoT. I am hoping for the day when ‘coming out’ is no longer a thing. I could give less than zero fucks about who is gay or not not gay, and I think the fanfare around coming out or being outed (especially for those in the public eye) doesn’t do them any favours - I feel it simply perpetuates the notion that it is ‘abnormal’ in so much as they feel the need to justify who they are and seek some kind of approval or validation - these things should be a given.

Sadly as a collective culture I think we are a long way from this* and the media doesn’t help as much as it thinks it does - too many fucks are being given with that ridiculous label ‘first active professional male footballer in the UK to come out as gay’, and does not normalise homosexuality in my view, for me true acceptance is giving absolutely zero fucks and if everyone felt that way homophobia would finally be a thing of the past.

Rant over.

*Sotonians in this respect is way ahead of the game it seems.

5 Likes

Poof.

1 Like

Interesting discussion on Twitter saying exactly the opposite - that they should have kept it quiet.

TGF takes the opposite view.

https://twitter.com/FootballerGay/status/1151095933754585089

Keep your personal life private?
I didn’t think he was telling anyone about his personal life, more who he is. CAs words are a bit disturbing. Should black footballers in the 80s been made to “white up” so no one would give them racist abuse?
Forcing the issue is sometimes the best option, then we’ll hopefully come to the point @gavstar mentions.
Keep your personal life private I read as, “don’t make me address this issue”.

As ever it looks like the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It shouldn’t be an issue but it is.

The one thing CA is correct about is the reaction of some rival fans.

How that reaction is handled is important. If fellow pros from the opposition (and the opposition club) visibly show their support and distance themselves publicly from their supporters’ reaction then it will change otherwise TGF is setting himself up for abuse.

To be honest I feel TGF is going into this with his eyes open. It shouldn’t be but it’s a really brave thing to do.

If we’re not at the point where the vast majority visibly show support i’d be surprised, so maybe it’s long overdue.
That last sentence still bothers me.

fascist.

Edit: FoldyB if you’re not too busy could you find that video of Rik again for me please that would be great thanks.