🏳️‍🌈 Homophobia in Football

I think the best response I have seen to “does your boyfriend know your here?” was the fans pointing to their partner who was there with them!

3 Likes

I have never been to an actual match ever. But one of the things I hate most is the chanting. I know a lot of it is that ridiculous tribal stuff but some of them have been blatantly racist and homophobic over the year’s (a particular one was about a south korean Man u player springs to mind). It’s not “bants”. Doesn’t seem charming at all. What’s the line between naughty and abuse?

6 Likes

There is no place for homophobia in football.

There is space for banter and a laugh, it shouldn’t matter if someone is gay and it shouldn’t be seen as a symbol to knock someone down or take the piss, end of, the liberals don’t control this though as my mate is gay, a right winger and detests the stereotypical gay norm as the norm doesn’t exist, people exist and that’s it, not colour, not faith and not sexual orientation. People exist that’s all.

1 Like

Who is going to start the thread on we shouldn’t be nasty to the Gingers then ?

Happy Birthday PS!

1 Like

Calling black people ‘chalky’ used to be acceptable ‘Banter’… think most would agree we have thankfully moved on. The problem with suggesting its all ‘banter’ is that it allows those with prejudices to hide behind an ‘acceptable’ mask. There is no place for it and suggesting football triablism should be granted some sort of exception from what is considered unacceptable generally is just a cop out…

3 Likes

I love fun me.

Do you know what? Blow me down but I actually agree with all you ‘PC lefties’ on this one.

Harmless as “does your boyfriend know you’re here?” might seem - its still predicated on the idea that having a lot of gay people in your town is something to be (if not outright ashamed of), then certainly embarrassed by. The actual chant itself is very soft and playful, but you are still literally making fun of them simply for having lots of gay people/fans around. Like, that’s it. That’s the reason for the joke. That’s the thing you’re laughing at. Hm.

Put it this way, imagine if you started singing it and your 7-year-old son or daughter who you’d brought to the match started asking a few innocent questions about it.

“Why are we asking them if their boyfriend is here?”

“Because Brighton has lots of gay people son - those are men who like men”

“Oh… is that bad?”

“Well, no, its fine, we’re just making fun of them a bit”

“Why are we making fun of them if its not bad?”

“Well…”

I suppose another good experiment would be to ask whether one can invent a similarly harmless/banter-y chant that references a town having a large ethnic minority population rather than a gay one. (Nothing along the lines of “town full of n*ggers/p*kis” but just something that seeks to gently mock them about it in the same way DYBKYH does).

Is it possible? I don’t think it is.

My final point that’s sprung to mind just as I type are the infamous racist looney-tunes cartoons from the 50s or whatever (look them up on youtube if you haven’t got a clue what I’m on about).

Now, granted, they’re aimed towards children which I suppose does make it more severe - but broadly, the racism is in the same kind of territory as the homophobia in DYBKYH - they’re not calling for violence or hatred against black people or anything seriously extreme, granted, but they are making fun of black people in a “haha-aren’t-they-silly? haha-blacks-do-the-darndest-things!” kind of way. Its not nice - and they’re still predicated on the idea that simply being black and existing is something to be laughed at.

Same with the gay songs really.

9 Likes

Liberals are people too.

They are just about indeed.

1 Like

The hissing noises made towards Spuds fans, songs about the Munich plane crash and Hillsborough. Gotta love those cheeky football fans and their “bants.” You are right, it isnt a bit of fun, it is moronic. At least they have stopped throwing bananas at black players now.

1 Like

And we’re the best!

There’s no PC brigade or Thought Police ffs, “bumlove” really?

2 Likes

Sorry, been without internet for a few days so just catching up…not sure why @cobham-saint has been downvoted after the first few posts. Like him, I think I must be missing something. Even if I am, I’ve posted long enough on here to know that CS is one of the good guys and any other good guys turning on him need to have a think about what they’re saying and who they’re saying it to. We’re all good guys here. Big cuddles.

6 Likes

Indeed Cobs is sound… He just copped a misinturp… happens to the best of us. Must not be confused with an uttakant which is typically reserved for the genuine racists and homophobes… thankfully we dont get many of them round these parts, but they do surface now and again…

4 Likes

Sorry chap, @cobham-saint a complete misunderstanding and not reading what you were saying. You are correct if there is an article on racism, then they do not mention the offending comments in the article, as they offend. Seriously I hold my hands up, as I quite clearly had my mind elsewhere and on my wine and takeaway.

:lou_sad: Indeed, I should have known better.

5 Likes

Love you guys

… .in a manly way of course

:lou_wink_2:

6 Likes

Calling @areloa-grandee this is your thread for a laugh isn’t it?

:lou_is_a_flirt:

1 Like

Barry, why do you do it? Is your life that empty that you have to fill it by being a twat on an Internet forum?

2 Likes