🍽 🏬 Have you been to the new bit of West Quay?

You’re too hard on yourself, your patter needs to be lifted but its not that bad.

So to summarise:

1. Barry wants southampton City Council to spend more of our ‘poll tax’ on regenerating the city, building a giant white elephant for tourists to visit, preferably a monorail too which could link all the ‘disparate, just-about-OK’ pubs.

2. Barry then wants entrepreneurial residents of Southampton to open their own Laser Quests, quirky hipster (but cheap, please cheap, like the good old days) bars and non-chain restaurants serving meat and two veg to keep said tourists in the city.

3. Barry wants the Echo to stop printing paid-for advertorials (you’re deluding yourself Baz if you think that Taco Bell feature was anything other than a pretend article funded by Taco Bell themselves to promote their new store, not ‘news’ printed by the paper and for the reader).

4. Barry wants a benevolent businessman to open “Creamy Fabric of Sound” - the go-to superclub for Craig David’s world tour kick-off and other Garage greats (with a rock night on Thursdays featuring ACDC cover bands and the like).

How can anyone disagree with any of this?

11 Likes

Sounds like Paradise On Earth

1 Like

That’s about it Ostrich, money needs to be spent bringing in the tourists, what brings them in now?
Its bollocks.
As I’ve said many times others Cities have done it, Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool, why not Southampton?

Portsmouth has tarted itself up as have Brighton and Bournemouth.

No quirky talking points or sights, nothing bland and Southampton does that well, why not have a museum or sculpture or nothingness? A museum of traffic lights and planning regs?

the mthrfkn Football Club! Pride of the South! RED ARMY! RED (+WHITE) ARMY!

FFS Barry I know you are wrong with your opinions but I have told you this already: Southampton’s visitor numbers are higher than Bournemouth and Pompey (even including the “jewel” that is Southsea).

You may know six or seven equally blinkered people who agree with you, but a quarter of a million visitors proves how valid your views are.

Umm, I repeat I work and go out in Bournemouth! Can you explain where has it tarted itself up?

Oh I know, BH1 and the new Hilton hotel. BH1 being exactly the same as the Watermark in being a Cinecomplex and full of chain restaurants.

Oh, oh, Bournemouth has the Triangle, a collection of Hipster Bars and LGBT clubs and chain restaurants.

:lou_facepalm_2: :lou_facepalm_2: :lou_facepalm_2:

You haven’t linked this, visitors? Are they tourists or schoolchildren, do they stay overnight or come in from hotels outside the area?

Post the link, I’ve asked you.

Whenever I’ve been Bournemouth on night out it’s been gd cos they seem to have a lot of Hen Dos go there for some reason, and having gangs of drunk+overexcited women wander about is outrank all the nice architecture & taco bells in the world

I’ve been to the new bit of West Quay and i like it.

It’s a shame the Royal Pier development proposals appear to have stalled, partly because of uncertainty following brexit. Hopefully it wil be reignited soon as it would help regenerate that part of the waterfront.

You state your opinions as if they are facts, with no supporting evidence. I looked up some facts. You should try it.

You’re not confusing overnight stay with an overnight tourist are you?

Getting off a ship and having to stay the night and then at the first opportunity leaving isn’t a tourist or visitor, its a prisoner.

An opportunity missed and one the City has let go on for far too long, doctoring figures, how many come into the City?
Few as its shite.

Apart from posting an invalid link, no i didnt use wikipedia.

1 Like

So come on educate me, where are all these tourists?

Find out yourself, like I did

Arficus maximus, Bazza. How many Americans can usually lay claim to having a beer in front of 13th century battlements? Or Brits for that matter?

This’ll get @barry-sanchez 's juice flowing if nothing else does

1 Like

Thanks BT.

Ships come in they have to stay the night and then leave, thats not a fucking tourist ha ha!

We’re fucking desperate, the Preston of the South.