🍽 🏬 Have you been to the new bit of West Quay?

That wasn’t disputed. Where are you going to put this fabled arena - that’s the question?

You also appear to be ignoring the socioeconomic factors involved and the actual demand. The North-West is served by the Echo Arena and MEN, yes. There’s enough demand in that area to sustain them because there’s no other mega-venues in the region. Down here, you’re competing with the several very large London venues and the aforementioned MK Bowl. Bands big enough to play those venues don’t tour the whole UK. Most will do a flyover (on their way to Europe) of Glasgow, Birmingham, London and that’s your lot. They wouldn’t add a Southampton date to that list. So you’re not only competing with those venues for footfall but also to book the acts in the first place.

Why would you need a metro when it takes about 30 minutes to walk from one end of Southampton to the other? And as I said, National Rail trains serve the districts well enough. I have actually touted the idea of a tram system (having been impressed with the likes of Manchester’s) but refer back to the point that Southampton doesn’t currently have the infrastructure in place - and these things take time. Plus everybody just jets about in an Uber these days, don’t they?

The waterfront has traditionally been a working area, as you well know. Then I post about the plans to create a focal point down there and you poo-poo them. Southampton can’t win, in your eyes - and that’s all there is to it.

9 Likes

No ice rink, no large music venue, no cathedral or large ancient church, no real high street, no centre, no bus station, no trams.

Bollocks, why would a tourist go and stay?
The war bombing thing is a total and utter red herring as many many other Cities had more ordnance upon them and recovered and did a better job than our slack wasters.

Now I know you’re taking the piss. All footballing rivalry aside, Portsmouth is a complete and utter shithole from end to end. Slightly redeemed by Southsea, if you include that (and many don’t).

1 Like

@ant there’s no point replying. Barry is a miserable old sod who just likes to hate on things.

7 Likes

Being realistic and saying when things are shite and wrong beats the shit out of blind false optimism everytime, give me a grumpy realist over a head in the cloud dreamer anyday.

Well one thing I am sure of is that there’s neither grumpy realists nor head-in-the-cloud dreamers present in this thread.

You debate like a politician, Bazza. Never answer the fecking question, no matter how logical (or grounded in reality) it was. Non sequiturs all over the bloody show.

If you can’t see what we have (or it isn’t for you) then fair doos. But if that’s the case then speaking as an authority on the matter is a bit rich.

7 Likes

Give it up Ant…Bazza doesn’t do discussion.

1 Like

How’s the whole ‘not going on about places you don’t actually live in’ thing going Bazza?

6 Likes

That went to shit the moment I wrote it Goat mush.

1 Like

I’ve heard there are some cracking up and coming covers bands to go and see in Liverpool.

3 Likes

Where has all that money thats spent in Southampton gone?

How are the joiners and the hobbit coming along?

I know a couple of people in the pub trade in town and its shite, on the outskirts strangely its pretty good, why? The council are shit and sit back on your poll tax money, ever wonder why they want to incorporate Hedge end Botley into that and Eastleigh are so against it? What do you get for your poll tax and general tax? Shit roads, shite public transport, a ghost town of a City and well fuck all, all the while Liverpool on far far lower tax returns is booming, why? Lowering rents for a start.

Are you talking about this Liverpool?

Between 2001 and 2006 it experienced the ninth largest percentage population loss of any UK unitary authority.[

Moving to outside the City? Have a look, just a guess.

Anyway, the the new bit of West Quay, is it any good?

Only asking seeing we’re now talking Liverpool, Madchester and all other parts of the south coast.

I’m pretty sure they weren’t part of Southampton last time I looked.

If you are on the move, a nice cream of asparagus cup-a-soup takes some beating…mmmmmmm - or with winter around the corner, a nice Oxtail.

3 Likes

I could never be accused of being a head in the cloud dreamer and I doubt anyone else on here is. But there is being a realist and being a curmudgeon.

2 Likes

Jesus. What year is Barry in? Poll tax?

1377…

I thought the Rickie Lambert thread on sweb was funny until I read this.

Seriously Bazza, I live just outside Bournemouth, I work in Bournemouth, I drink regularly in Bournemouth, I fail to see why you think it’s nightlife is better than Southampton’s