:metoo: Harvey Weinstein

Don’t worry Bear! It’s not personal! I think they’re just a bit upset and saying things they don’t really mean! It’s a well know fact that women prefer big fat gross men because they’re better for cuddles!

1 Like

Many men (and probably some women to) in positions of power, the world over and throughout history, think they can just take whatever they want from whoever they want. Whether that be sex from a young attractive woman/man, money from those less fortunate, self-esteem from those less powerful, they will take it because they want it.

It’s always gone on and will always go on. Many men seem to have an uncontrollable need to feel power over other human beings, and the easiest way for them to do this is to belittle, degrade, and strip away confidence from those ‘underneath’ them. There’s no way to stop it because every single part of every society suffers from the same problem in some way - and that’s people who think they can do what they want without prejudice.

“Power tends to corrupt…”

Now I’m going back to the more lighthearted stuff.

2 Likes

That is true i reckon ostrich. I always go for the positions of power. Doggy. Piledriver. Even good old missionary.

1 Like

I agree Ostrich. What I struggle with that, not that it still goes on in this day and age but that people still let it happen. We are told that it has been an “open secret” for years. For it to be so, hundreds of people would have to turn a blind eye. Many of those people have now crawled out of the woodwork and are jumping on the pitchfork brigade bandwagon. Perhaps they (the ones who are just making some noise) ought to think about why they didnt speak up sooner.

This isn’t a problem with one person (or even one industry) IMO, this is a problem with the partiarchy. Why didn’t women come out with all this before? Because they wouldn’t be believed. That’s why it takes an investigative journalist to get justice rolling and why leaving things to the justice system is sometimes not enough, when the justice system and the police system and all the other systems are just as skewed towards systemic mysogyny as the Hollywood system.

Why are so many stars ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ now? I’d imagine a lot of men in Hollywood, in the media, etc. know that if they can offer Weinstein as a lightning rod for all this approbation, the fury will pass and nobody’s behaviour will have to change.

8 Likes

Exactly, Dinger. Very well put.

1 Like

Still waiting to hear why it is the liberals who have allowed this to go on so long Barry.

Barry just likes to drop his liberal bomb and demonstrate he fails to understand …again. It was not liberal attitudes towards these sexist and misogynistic abuses of power that let it go on, but a culture of fear. In fact one could argue the polar opposite of a liberal attitude. Fear of not being taken seriously, fear of career and life ruined, and sadly a belief that its ‘a necessary evil’ to succeed, which is what those despotic power crazed twats like Weinstein wanted these young women to believe.

A liberal attitude Barry, is not about tolerating this sort of thing, or sweeping under the carpet to avoid a shit storm. One does that because of fear. A Liberal perspective would be there is nothing to be concerned about as the behaviour is an accepeted norm… The BBC did not allow Saville to get away with it because they were soem sort of Liberal elite… but because they were shitting it about the consequences of these stories and the impact it would have. That is not liberalism, that is fear

1 Like

Cracking post, but this part in particular sticks out.

Really good example of this is Ben Affleck.

2 Likes

Or Jason Momoa!! (sorry @intiniki :lou_sad:)

Rose McGowan accuses Weinstein of raping her and is kicking off that Amazon Studio chief Roy Price didnt believe her. My question is why didnt you go to the police (assuming that she didnt as the artcile doesnt mention that). Surely that is the place to take the accusation rather than a studio head?

She is quoted as saying, “I told the head of your studio that HW raped me. Over and over I said it. He said it hadnt been proven. I said I was the proof.” No you are not the proof. You have made an allegation which may or may not be true. The evidence will be gathered and the police will decide to charge or not. If it goes to trial a jury will make a decision based on the case given by the prosecution and the case for the defence. That is the way it works. You cant just say I am the proof and expect the whole legal system to be ignored.

Are you absolutely sure about that SOG?

About whether she went to the police or not or about whether because she said something happened that is “proof” ?

Ive read a few more articles about the allegation but still cant find anything that says she reported the alleged rape to the police. I did find this though In 1997, according to the New York Times, an incident between McGowan and Weinstein in a hotel room during the Sundance Film Festival prompted the ex-mogul to pay her a $100,000 settlement.

I think I said this? Liberal hypocrisy, Hollywood is known to be staunchly democratic and right on, not so right on for the careerist and person wanting to get on, why was nothing said?

Position over principles and fairs fair, the democrats shut their traps.

Yep. Have seen that. And he said that stuff in press conferences with female co-stars there. This is what we 're up against. Bantz about rape, abuse, murder. Hilarious stuff.

Liberals here allow injuctices to happen for fear of offence, no reason why it can’t happen in the higher echelons of the entertainment industry.

Who Barry?

Here? They talk amongst us?

What injustices?

I’m opening that second bottle.

1 Like

Because they get this kind of reply.

"Late in my career, I registered an informal complaint against the creative director who had a habit of verbally abusing female creative teams – including a team I had hired.Was it sexual harassment? It didn’t matter. It was vile.

The next morning I found a threatening letter on my desk from the company’s lawyers. My desk was moved to an office with no windows. Terrified of being fired, I said nothing more. The agency waited a discreet few months before sacking me.

“You put your head above the parapet,” I was told.

4 Likes

Sue Perkins was very good on Last Leg last night around shame. I cannot find a link.

But this was also mentioned.

2 Likes