:metoo: Harvey Weinstein

What would you do?

Weinstein and his liberal credentials, even the NYT are saying it, it seems Sotonians don’t have access to media from around the globe…

We only read local newspapers for local people. Why the fuck do you read New York Times, B?

Expansion of the mind dear boy. as good as the Southern Daily Echo is for its ground brealing stories of sheep rustling and a possible extension being refuted by a sandal weaer named Ponsonby sometimes I need a little more substance and meat for current events.

The New York Times, really?

Bag o’ shite. IMHO.

Each to their own I guess

How in the fuck have you turned this into a thing about liberals? I know you like plenty of attention but fk me your priceless. Even Glasgow/H can have a conversation about something with out the me.me.me. Like the catalonia thread you shape it around you like a fur on a ho ( pardon my yank) . Honestly there are thread I don’t bother posting on because you’ve trolled the guts out of any discussion on the subject. You weren’t bullied off of sweb. You kept shitting in your bed. Even those that agreed, believed or were interested in what you had to say became put off.

It’s like that shiver you get when someone makes a twat of themselves. You shiver because they didn’t need to do that and you could see it coming.

Your post’s are generally far more interesting than mine and your an intelligent bloke, why not discuss the subject and expand the discussion rather than not so skillfully shape it into the same lame arsed shit.

Must do better @barry-sanchez

9 Likes

I think the polite suggestion was that if you live in a glass house, don’t go around the neighbourhood lobbing stones everywhere.

What have Weinstein and his liberal credentials got to do with sexual assault?

1 Like

Wasn’t really aware of the bloke before this story broke.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs I do wonder why he was able to “get away with it” for so long.

I don’t know the real facts though I suspect there continues to be many women willing to do anything to get fame and fortune but unfortunately fat rich influential men who will take advantage of that.

I’m bemused why the story has come out now and why everyone is rounding on him all of a sudden. There must be more to this and more people like him out the doing the same.

I’m categorically not saying what he allegedly did is right btw.

1 Like

Thing is these are all allegations. As far as I know he hasnt actually been charged, tried and found guilty of anything yet. He admits to behaving badly but denies any accusations of rape. He could well be guilty as hell on all counts, but shouldnt he go through the process before he is hung out to dry?

The only thing that surprises me is that it came out at all.

This is less about Hollywood and more about the things that people will generally do to secure or maintain their positions in hard-to-get-into industries. Post-Savile revelations, we had celebrity after celebrity speak on how Savile’s vile proclivities were an open secret, much as we’re hearing here.

It’s not just entertainment or sexual abuse either. There are journalists out there that will line up with the Establishment for fear of losing their place in it. Compare Owen Jones at three different points in time. When he started working for the Guardian, during the ill-fated chicken coup and now.

The only difference between “now” Owen Jones and the “fresh from Chavs” version is that the past incarnation doesn’t have to make mealy-mouthed excuses for all the shite his 2016 counterpart wrote about Corbyn during those troubled times. I bet he wishes he didn’t.

People get into these excellent jobs and once there, find it very difficult to give that up for the greater good. This attitude collectively enabled Savile, Cosby and Weinstein to continue abusing for years after it could have been stopped, sometimes after they’re too dead to face criminal charges.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

You asked the question. I gave you an answer. There isnt only one solution of sending your spawn to a private school.

You could always get back on thread and take this to a new thread?

4 Likes

Proof that you don’t read the Echo.

I’ve been reading it for the last six weeks. It’s like Grand Theft fucking Southampton down here, topped off with regular bulletins about how vital organs of the local traffic systems, such as the Millbrook and Redbridge roundabouts, are going to be entirely fucked.

It’s gangsta in Southampton.

“Botley way” has gone down the banks.

3 Likes

That’s completely irrelevant but yes, I’d watch a guy whack off in the shower if it meant a better life for my family… that’s what you meant right?

5 Likes

But that wouldn’t make you a hypocrite because you do that anyway.

Fatso, given that you’re usually heavily involved I think you should be aware already that I tend to be the watcher not the watchee.

1 Like

Good post Soggy.

Hollywood in casting couch revelations shocker.

Nope no news there.

Clearly however old Harvey really pissed someone off and perhaps his (and his wife’s) reaction is more geared to “how did I fvck that up” than to “oh I have now joined the true society of PC hipsters”

THAT is the story IMHO

Or perhaps in the last 48 hours the planet and society in g eneral really have become a meritocracy and looks timing and luck no longer come into play (nah that’s me being cynical)

While “Professionals” and “established” names are now leading the eviction of Harvey from society (rightly), somewhere on a highway heading to Hollywood another dreamer will be on a bus hoping for his/her big chance and prepared to do anything to get it.

And the innerweb is full of this stuff

@dubai_phil As I said, liberal tolerance until the tide turns and now they’ve gone gangster on Weinstein, anybody with any conviction would have said about this years ago, like the Saville saga, the Catholic Church, a legend once wrote,

“He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once.”

Agree with you totally mate.

But let us not forget there are predators on both sides of the fence - those that use that tool to get up the ladder as much as those at the top who abuse their position like Harvey