Greatest guitarist evers

So, for me it’s the man that plugs his guitar directly into your soul, no more in evidence than here…

1 Like

Anyone who says Joe Bonamassa can fuck off back to fiver mountain

1 Like

This mate of mine needs to be in there somewhere
Photo by me. When I was “the man”

1 Like

OK already.
One in perfick focus

Now name the band…

1 Like

Either Slash’s Snakepit, Velvet Revolver or Miles Kennedy and the Conspiritors

1 Like

Now, I am assuming you mean World Famous, so that cuts me out :joy:

This is sooo subjective to a guitarist. You talking lead ala SRV or Alex Liefson or rhythm ala Steve Clarke or Izzy Straddlin? Or songwriters ala Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan?

I can honestly say EVERY guitarist to own an axe has had a moment of brilliance along their career, just that 99% of them don’t get heard by enough peeps to catapult them into “greatness”.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I like Steve Vai. Saw him playing for Whitesnake in 1990 for Donington.

This is a good demonstration of his skills.

VR. Played support for Myse at a 2 day festival back in the day

1 Like
3 Likes

This guy, Tom Morello, obviously an acquired taste, but he certainly has his own sound…

1 Like

Agreed. You need to consider all the various genres, from finger style acoustic, jazz, folk, rock, classical, blues and within each there are those who have high levels of technical skill, innovators, song writers… most of the worlds BEST are session players that feature on so many records but are unknown… so many great players who are not MoR are unknown… the public go with who is most famous as you say, so Clapton, Slash etc why are great players but perhaps not as ‘good’ as there reputations.

Not a big fan of the Itchifani type shred merchants who can play 200 notes a second, technically able, but limited musicality IMHO

I won’t say they are better than others, but big fan of more innovative rock guitarists like Lifeson, Zappa, Morello, and the younger Robert Fripp before he just accompanied his Mrs jiggling her boobies on YouTube, as well as the melodic finger style of Richard Thompson, Martin Simpson etc

1 Like

No such thing as “The Best”, so many styles, so many genres. You can just have favourites. I’ve got lots of them.

3 Likes

Listened to some King Crimson last night actually talking of Fripp…

Used to see Martin Simpson often in London folk clubs in the mid-80s

1 Like

M’lawd, I rest my case …

1 Like

I rest mine… (he should have packed in the fags as well…)

Might be a bit folky for some, but any guitarist knows this is not easy to play. Nic drop tuned to a low Bb, very slick strings to get that ‘slap’ and to maintain the crisp patterns and clean differentiation especially during the little bridge licks is very impressive… big amps and effects, reverb and delay, sounds and loud and good, but is ‘easier’ to impress with