⚽ Great Nostalgia Footy

Today is the anniversary of Peter Shilton scoring against Saints in 1967. Like today, it was pissing down with rain and after being 1-0 up at half time, when Leicester’s 3rd went in my old man decided we were wet enough and we left to get the bus home.
When we got off, one of our neighbours caught us up and said “5-1!!”. When he saw we had no idea, he then said “Didn’t you see their keeper score?” Sometimes I hated my dad.
Anyhow, looking for the goal on yew tubby, I came across this, which should amuse those of my generation. Try to work out who was playing in some of them and also note some of our former faves including Satchell Face. There is also the forgotten 1966 commentary.
Enjoy

2 Likes

I think there was footage of Big Ron Davies scoring a couple of goals for Norwich (pre-Saints) from about 5.30 on.

And scoring for us in the 2-2 draw with Utd, when we had been 2 up. That was on Easter Saturday 1968 and was bracketed by us doing the double over Arsenal. 2-0 at home on the Wednesday, then a great 3-0 at Highbury on Easter Monday. Joe Kirkup scoring with a sliced cross from the touchline.

1 Like

I was there too…Mickey Judd opened the scoring. Mickey’s burgeoning career was cut short by a cruciate injury in the days when it was nearly always a career ending injury. He had already made his U23 debut for England.

It has been so long since Saints won at St Marys that this is arguably nostalgia inducing!

Seriously, it that the last time we won at St Marys?

Certainly in the league, and competitively. :tired_face:

Looked like Fraser was in goal given how slowly some of those goals tickled ove4 the line

1 Like

Nostalgia but of a slightly different ilk, I was pissed Saturday and was having an animated discussion with Ray Kennedy formerly of Liverpool stating that Southampton had a far better all time XI, now this I still feel we would probably run them close, me being bladdered on the free ale though meant I forgot Le Tissier, Bale and many others in our starting line up, he phoned up as well and signed loads of stuff I didn’t ask for either, nice bloke.

2 Likes

So how many of our players was he claiming as Liverpool players. :lou_wink_2:

He didn’t to be fair, Van Dyke wasn’t in there either, he said he probably would be in the future, Hansen was mentioned but I was pissed.

1 Like

Sounds like it should be a regular slot on BT Sport. Ray and Bazza’s Big Beery Ball Banging Barney, or some such name.

3 Likes

I’d watch it.

I’m waiting in for the removers, got a bit of time to kill so the telly’s on. Brighton v Palace, October 76, on a replay of MOTD :grin::grin:

Mullery and Venables in the dugouts. Mullery just had Manager of the Month, sponsored by Bells Whisky :smile:

Grundig radio and hi-fi on the hoardings, alongside AEG Telefunken TV, PontinLands and AALCO.

Pale blue disabled cars in the corner, a yard from the pitch.

Final whistle of a third division game, some of the crowd run onto the pitch and players shake their hands.

Lovely. :grin::grin:

Now Leeds v Man Utd, and would you believe it? PEARSON IS HOBBLING!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Saints/Fulham!!! :smile::smile:

Ted McDougall opens the scoring, 2nd minute.

Mel Blyth makes it 2 nil, and George Best sent off for dissent. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Amoco petrol and Whitbread Tankard among the ads :smile:

3-1, Blyth with another, both from clever free kicks taken quickly and not by the player the oppo were expecting.

Now 4, Ted McDougall again.

1 Like

With Angie walking round the pitch taking photos, wearing a very tight-fitting pair of leather trousers. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Stop it, I’m getting aroused :rage::heart_eyes::smile::smile:

Today’s Big Match Revisited is 24th October 1976, including Luton v Saints.

1 Like

What channel are these on? Saw a few a while back but can’t remember the channel.

Proper agricultural football - some like the old Football In The Mud in Hythe back in the day.

1 Like