🍴 Gorgeous recipes

With flava beans?

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas @Goatboy - forgot to say it’s not boned though.

That’s easy enough to remove when you butterfly it. Choose your weapon.

2 Likes

Surely lamb or beef are far better hung for some time and matured rather than fresh? And it’s definitely better with the bone in when you cook it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought so with fresh lamb tbh. Possibly if it’s mutton maybe? I’m not an expert.

Beef, that’s another story. Hang it as long as is decently possible is my mantra.

Agree about the bone-in (cooking a joint that is)

You could try this recipe, it is a roast but is delicious.

I am not sure why we are sold lamb as being an Easter meat, for the majority of British lamb producers the lamb will not be ready for market for a couple more months at least.

British lamb for sale at the moment will have come from Poll Dorsets (can lamb 3 times in 2 years) or from ewes that have been injected so that that take the tup early. The lambs will have been fattened on concentrates or maybe roots as there is very little grass growth so early in the year.

We lamb 70 ewes, started on the 16th March now have 4 to go. Ours will not be ready until July with the bulk Aug-Oct. We finish on grass only.

Could be NZ lamb but I don’t think they produce them to give that large a joint. With it being that size it could well be hogget meat (last years lamb). It will taste good but you will need to cook it slower and at a lower temp.

4 Likes

Cheers @Llwybr-Cyhoeddus - given the size of the shoulder bones and amount of meat it’s got to be at least a year old…the recipie looks good too. I have a week to think about what to do with it.

The weird thing is that getting it from Smithfield is that it smells and looks like proper meat from when I was a nipper - not the supermarket stuff that’s wrapped in sterile plastic with fake bright red blood

2 Likes

This is wrong but right in so many ways…

right I had some steak

And some old apple sauce (couple of days old )

Colemans mustard that needed using

So mix the apple and mustard cover the steak with it

Wrap the steak in pastry

and serve with roast potato’s Yorkshire puddings and sweetcorn

Did they like it ?

Poll to be added later :slight_smile:

So one that I want to try but need to summon the courage to do so

Take one 3 bone rib of beef (hence the nervousness)

Set oven to 60c

Put rib in roasting dish - no salt no oil nothing

Put in oven and leave for 24 hours

Apparently it comes out looking like anthracite and a general sinking feeling that you have just ruined ÂŁ60 of beef, but when you cut it, it is still red inside and impossibly tender

4 Likes

No poll needed they loved it.

It was actually very nice.

1 Like

Back in February we brought back a basic supermarket packaged smoked gammon.
Slow cooked in Polish Cider, served with mash, bread beans, home made parsley sauce and a gravy reduction of the cider sauce for the in-laws.
Only 2nd time they’ve eaten a Brit staple. They were gob-smacked.
Yesterday “Mum” wanted to reciprocate and do a Polish Ham.
She smothered it in supermarket packaged polish pork spice, baked it in the oven for 270 minutes and wondered why we couldn’t eat it.
A lot of polish food is good but very limited reminds me of home cooking when I was a kid.
Kaszanka (black pudding) is a delight, UK sausage sized, I cut it in half, grill it, spread it thin and almost cremate it to become a crispy delight on a full English, or have it broiled in a pot with a spoon at a street food market.
But generally they like their food dead, and fish, pork or chicken.
Haven’t found an affordable piece of lamb yet £20 a kilo with bone in was not going in the trolley.
Time to put some recipes on here I guesd

1 Like

I have no idea why but a lot of the world think we eat fish and chips and or curry.

Not knowing that we imported all the dishes from the empire and some of us know how to cook

From lamb to pork to beef, fish, Shellfish even vegetables

The filipino’s are some times astounded at my cooking and my dogs often go hungry.

1 Like

Mrs P_F is a good cook we eat all sorts but again another polish lunch out at family and again overdry chicken schnitzel with Dill mash & cucumber with yoghurt
Will get the Polish village Pate recipe up here later this week with pics. Nice change from Belgian stuff all the time.

1 Like

Polish cheesecake. Another one to get for you…
Imagine a Victoris sponge mix mixed with homemade white cheese and lemon zest then baked.
Yeah…

1 Like

The Americans have this WWII idea that British food is crap. Well, there was a war on FFS and the rest of the population were on starvation rations while the average Yank soldier ate like royalty. Their idea of crap British food still lives on…OH THE IRONY OF IT ALL. :lou_eyes_to_sky:
…but then Yanks don’t do irony do they.

1 Like

British food is amazing when done well, Yank food is garbage by comparison or my experience of it is.

If you can subsist on coconut shrimp and buffalo wings then the US is paradise

1 Like

Their version of Indian takeaway is shite - imho obvs.

2 Likes

There is nothing more disgusting than watching the American at home at an “All you can eat buffet” in Las Vegas…NOTHING. :lou_facepalm_2:

4 Likes