🗡 🎧 ⌚ Goaty Gadgets

Just got a Bluetooth speaker. It’s not just the fact it bangs out lovely sound. It’s the potential prank ability. I have recently heard of a man that paired his device to his neighbours’ speakers, played spooky noises. Apparently they moved out. I’ve no idea if that story is true or not.

Mine will be :slight_smile:

Has bloody better Bluetooth connection than me, that’s for sure, put a wall, or object in the way and my devise thinks I have gone to the bloody moon!

Good bit of kit this.

I like the fact that I can recharge it from a power pack or solar panel. This should come in handy if I have to hole up anywhere.

Speaking of holes, the reactive technology is excellent. If you are (for example) digging a hole, the beam is less intense as you point it down into the earth to see what you are doing. When you look up to scan the treeline and make sure nobody is watching you, the beam becomes more intense. Works much better than I anticipated.

You can also create different profiles on an app (which links to the headlamp via bluetooth) so you can program specific settings for differing situations without having to faff about. Need to examine those cable ties closely? Switch to your preprogrammed ‘close security’ setting;)

Like the red light function (good for retaining night vision).

Comfy and secure headstrap. It won’t get dislodged in a struggle.

Seems to hold a charge well but not really tested maximum duration yet.

Overall I am v. happy with it.

3 Likes

So would this be OK for digging a deepish hole in the pitch black night, in a frantic way? I was only asking this because I find when digging a hole, you are jerking forward then back quite a lot and the one i have keeps coming off. Really no good when in a hurry. Works fine when I have a little more time or an accomplice, or helper, whatever you want to call them!

I always worry that the accomplice will work out why the two of you are digging a hole that wide.

2 Likes

That’s why you always take a dummy in a body bag along.

1 Like

I find an animal can work as well. Needs to be a realist size though. Deer work well, just need tucking in the right way, I have heard.

And you can always eat them afterwards too! Digging is hungry work.

2 Likes

Treated myself to a new penknife as I lost my old CRKT Pazoda and was a bit wary about carrying it anyway as it’s a locking knife.

Almost shelled out for a spyderco UKPK but plumped for the Boker Plus Worldwide at £32 (£20 cheaper than the Spyderco).

It’s solid and sharp and as safe as it gets for a slip joint (uk legal) knife. 90 degree stop and v strong back spring so hopefully no accidents.

Also bought new sharpener as pic. Top kit.

I’m not a nutter by the way*

Always handy to have a penknife. Use mine every day for something or other.

*Not strictly true.

3 Likes

More than one way to skin a Goat. :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Main gadget of 2017 has been the new laptop. Already paid for itself with the help of a second rate developer, blisteringly quick for work and able to play games nicely and all.

A lot of the time, it’s not what technology is that’s important. It’s what it enables. I’ve spent a few Saturdays playing networked games with P2, as Young Adult #2 is known in this context. We’ve played a bit of Borderlands, a LOT of Phantasy Star Online and I had a go at showing P2 her first RTS last night. She is not yet impressed.

Next up, we’re playing 7 Days To Die, a crafting game set in a zombie apocalypse. After an extended hiatus watching reality TV, P2 is back. That lappy might be the best gadget I’ve ever owned :lou_sunglasses:

My ever evolving and rotating everyday carry:

Hanky by Pratt and Passad

Garmin Forerunner 220

Kinzd minimalist wallet and clip

LED Lenser P3

Rite in the Rain memo book

Zebra Mini TS-3 pencil

Uzi tactical pen/fisher spacepen refill

Boker Plus Worldwide Penknife

Leatherman Wingman

3 Likes

Yeah I have a similar pocketful of essentials too…

Dog-poo bags, a couple of doggie treats and a comb. Of course a lot of you won’t have need of a comb.

8 Likes

The best gadget I think I have bought are a set of global knives. Ten years on they are still capable of slicing half my finger off without me realising.

I’ve got these too. Top kit.

I’ve had to come over here, I’m in danger of getting guested on the weekend rugby thread

7 Likes

1 Like

Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, and then came the rules

3 Likes

@cb-saint

:lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Fuck off. Cooking Sherry indeed. More like a Lustau fino en Rama

Actually the culprit is King Goblin

2 Likes