šŸ—” šŸŽ§ āŒš Goaty Gadgets

's alright @cb-saint , am cooking a beef bourguignon and have necked the left over Burgundy on top of the Amstel 4 pack while listening to todays footie on 5 live. Nice.

I have 50p with young teenage mutant on a Lincoln win btw.

Not so much a gadget, more a bit of software I picked up that allows you to do pixel art. I am still a child daubing with crayons, of course, but Iā€™m having tremendous fun learning the ropes. I said to @intiniki in another post that constraint begets creativity, and it really does. Iā€™m playing with vast sprite sizes and palettes compared to the graphics people of the early 80s, but 32x32 still really ainā€™t a lot. Itā€™s enough, especially with Asesprite.

I love things that do a single job really well. Iā€™ve often suspected the hybrid. TV/Videos, Midi systems, Washer Dryers, Pub restaurants were all shit. It was only when we started getting smartphones and their successors that we actually had successful hybrids, and even then, thereā€™s a case to be made that each app is just a single thing doing a single job.

Itā€™s purpose built for pixel art. You can load palettes from loads of old consoles and computers, so if you want to make a SNES era version of your missus, you can. I cannot promise that sheā€™ll be very happy with the results.

I actually bought one of these on your recommendation. It works. Thanks

1 Like

Received these today.

https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/isolate-mini

Bit of an upgrade to the ones Iā€™ve had for several years. Hoping they deliver. Bring on the gigs.

1 Like

Got a PS4 Pro over the weekend, bringing my total of PS4 purchases to three. The girls have the older units. Itā€™s nowhere near as powerful as it needs to be to run everything at 4k. Thereā€™s a lot of smoke and mirrors used to achieve 4k when it does, but even so, a tremendously good machine for Ā£350.

Two things Iā€™ve been playing with this week:

Got a bit of a pen\knife thing going on at the moment:

CRKT Ryan Seven pocket knife

Tactile Turn Slider Pen

How many have you killed, @goatboy ? :lou_sunglasses:

Iā€™ve only just started writing.

1 Like

Some recommendations please from you techy lot.

My 4 year old nexus 10 is dead. Iā€™ve tried all the suggestions on line to resuscitate it but itā€™s not working.

So what non Apple 10 inch tablet gets your vote. Like to use it on holidays and playing films/tv shows.

My 6 year old laptop is also on itā€™s way out. Any non Apple suggestion for a replacement would be appresciated. I dont do gaming and just really use it for photos and internet.

For your new tablet, if only a ten inch will satisfy you, go for the Google Pixel. Stock Android, which means you get fast updates and you donā€™t have to put up with manufacturersā€™ attempts at differentiation. Only downer is that it doesnā€™t have SD expansion, but then neither did your Nexus 10. Around Ā£480.

If you can cope with eight inches, I am very happy with my nVidia Shield (2015). Nice and cheap. 169UKP for the tablet itself. Expect to spend another 40 notes on a 128Gb SD card and case.

Laptop wise, take a look at the Dell XPS 13. I bought one for the eldest for Uni and she raves about it. Very light and capable for what youā€™re after. About a grand.

Those new Microsoft Surface Books are very nice too. Pricey (around Ā£1200-2000+), but youā€™d kill two birds with one stone. Itā€™s a tablet and computer, and its getting very impressive reviews.

1 Like

I rescued the mega charger @goatboy recommended from my room in Southampton.

Charging five USBs damn quickly, my only reservation is the brand name.

Anker.

Itā€™s emblazoned on the side of the product, and itā€™ll only take a wag with a silver pen a W to cast aspersions about my attic activities.

And donā€™t try convincing me that itā€™ll never happen because no-one is childish enough to do that. Iā€™m planning the exact same trick if I ever see the Goatā€™s charger in the wild :lou_sunglasses:

+1, pap.

Iā€™ve got loads of anker products in various sizes and charging capabilities. They are great. Would certainly recommend.

1 Like

Can you bring them to your next pub visit?

Iā€™ll bring my silver pen :lou_sunglasses:

If youā€™re ok spending Ā£600 the Xperia z4 has probably the best screen, 2k stunning picture. Only 6.1mm thick and 393g.

This lot will chuck in the keyboard and guarantee the latest Android system installed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://m.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z4-tablet&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwib8-2P4oXTAhUCC8AKHYsWCOMQFgg1MAQ&sig2=XKGqMTRnPFzVEnue-6kqOw&usg=AFQjCNHqG5zKMG_XcrqIQgb0ggsDfFTWqg

Used them before and found them very helpful.

1 Like

The xperia is also lovely.

SD card expansion available and all.

Got a DroiboxMXG. For 30 notes, itā€™s a genuinely astonishing machine. Itā€™s basically Android on your TV. Kodi lightning fast. Full HD. Decent browser performance.

Just got myself one of these. Itā€™s the pap of the torch world. Tiny but gives out loads.

Olight S1 Baton. Like the magnetic endcap. The output is amazing from such a small torch. Easy to scroll through the functions too.

I like.

2 Likes

Easy to scroll through the functions??? has it got google maps or something?

1 Like

What do you do with all this stuff Goat, are you like a James Bond or something?

ā€¦or a serial killer

:lou_sunglasses:

Just the one button which operates multiple functions: 3 different power outputs, moonlight mode, strobe, plus timer function.