Getting logged out all the time

I’m trying to isolate the code that automatically logs people back in to see what is going on, as I’ve been logged out loads today.

Not only did I get logged out it would not accept my password so had to request a new one ?

1 Like

Take a hint phil bro

1 Like

Cheers Bearsy love you too.

NB after resetting all internet in Philippines it is now keeping me logged in :laughing:

First time today - did not need to login again! Well done Pap! :clap: Unless its a fluke, to be repeated as often as a Gaston goal :wc:

Had to log in again this morning ?

I thought it was just me.

Originally posted by @JBoy

I thought it was just me.

Nope - happens to me every day and sometimes lots of times each day :cry:

It was a fluke, had to login today

I have only had to log in once though.

Does Pap’s server (not Bletch) do an Automatic update at say midnight which logs everybody off?

It reboots every night at 2am.

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @PhilippineSaint

I have only had to log in once though.

Does Pap’s server (not Bletch) do an Automatic update at say midnight which logs everybody off?

It reboots every night at 2am.

When I get booted out at 09:00 am Philipine time tomorrow morning theres the problem ?

still get logged out

It’s disgusting. I can believe I pay a fiver per month for such shoddy service.

1 Like

This thread should be stickied to the top. It reminds me I have to log in.

I think I have a fix for this. Shouldn’t take too long to effect, but I pretty much guarantee you’ll all be logged out.

For the techies, here’s the explanation. Most web servers are fairly efficient. If no-one is actually using the site, then there won’t be any processes running to grab pages and suchlike. The next time someone asks for a page, the web server will fire up on demand and serve the content.

What appear to be happening is this. Each site on the server has a unique identifier. This tells the server which site is which, and also helps with automatic relogging in. If you do not specifically set this identifier, then the system will (quite helpfully) generate one for you. We are not specifically setting this identifier.

So I believe what happens is this. Whenever Sotonians spins down and these processes stop, the consequent restart (when someone asks for a page) does this unique site ID generation thing, except now it is a different ID from what the site was recognised as before. This means that all information pertaining to persistent logins, etc - is lost - meaning we have to relog.

The solution is to give Sotonians a permanent identifier, specified in the configuration. This should mean that when things spin down, user accounts will be honoured when it spins back up.

3 Likes

I’m scared and confused. Is the solution to make everyone logged out all the time so that we are equal?

1 Like

I blame Jeremy Corbyn. Already, his influence is being felt…

Fear not, Lone Wolf.

I was just referring to the fact that by making the configuration change, everyone would get logged out once. I believe that’s a one-time thing though, and shouldn’t happen in the future, even if we do make further changes to the configuration.

So I take it that everyone has had the day of not-getting-logged-out bliss that I’ve just experienced?