Genuine and sensible parental concern or MORAL PANIC!?

Stanmore, mate!

1 Like

You donā€™t mention Stanmore and I wonā€™t mention Winnall. Deal?

Actually, I grew up in Harestock - full of the kids of Greenjacket squaddiesā€¦

1 Like

Oi, nothing wrong with army bratsā€¦

I wouldnā€™t even suggest that there was anything wrong with them.

(I wouldnā€™t dare in case they decided to beat me up).

1 Like

Exactly, thereā€™s more than one of us on here you knowā€¦

I had a similar feral childhood. However there were risks to this kind of behaviour. Swift justice was meted out by anyone in the village who caught you and reaffirmed by your parents when you got in. The local copper knew who you were and was quite frankly, fucking terrifying.

So whilst we did get up to all sorts of misdemeanors, you pretty quickly worked out right from wrong and that actions have consequences.

I also think that by having to amuse ourselves gave us a degree of self sufficiency at an earlier age, rather than the constant entertainment that parents seem to be obliged to spoon feed to kids every school holiday

6 Likes

Brand new greenhouse that Dad spent all weekend erecting, CB saint re enacting the best moments of Espania '82 with a leather ball from the 60s. What could possibly go wrong?

3 Likes

No one would cross us. We were fucking rock.

Actually, not. Soft as shite really and when we eventually got nicked for smashing milk bottles outside the house of the Constabā€™s main PT Instructor (and he rugby tackled me after a swift chase) it shook us up so much we dropped the act and started acting more sensibly. Taught us a lesson. Along with getting the cold shoulder for a month from the parents when they had to pick us up from North Walls!

Iā€™m not going to be popular for saying it, but I think todayā€™s kids are a pretty spot on, resiliant bunch. Itā€™s a fair chunk of the 25 to 50 year olds that are generally the whinging, self-obsessed lot, forever banging on social media, overexagerating their problems. I swear this generation of kids look at us, bewildered, wondering wtf we are whining about.

4 Likes

I agree with this sentiment, as it happens. Forget all the Dailymail whining about how the country is going to the dogs - most kids seem to work bloody hard at school (unlike me), they drink less and crime is right down compared to when most of us were kids.

5 Likes

Please keep your kids off Fortnite. They have swift reflexes and kill me a lot.

7 Likes

Is this not telling you something @pap ?

:lou_wink:

6 Likes

I used to play Fifa quite a bit in my 20s and early 30s. My kids now thrash me at it :lou_sad:

Iā€™m utter shite at Fifa, despite taking Le Havre to Ligue 1 and being in the top 3 on semi pro level.

I play my nippers sometimes. My 12 year old daughter challenges me. Iā€™m Saints and she is Accrington Stanley. Last game was 7-3 to the Stanley.

:lou_sad:

3 Likes

Tbf, given how shite Saints are, sheā€™s got a bit of an unfair advantage.

3 Likes

Has anybody seen those facebook things about throwing eggs at cars that was us 40 years ago why do they think it is different now?

Although the eggs would have been free range from the garden.

8yrs old is the watershed point for FIFA. Earlier you thrash them, at 8 it is close. After that you get mullered

1 Like

So back to this fortnite malarkeyā€¦ My 7, nearly 8 years old son has been on at me to let him download as several of his mates play it. To me it seems too young. Thoughts chaps/chapettes ?

I think my 9-year-old is too young, but he plays it anyway, when he thinks Iā€™m not aware of what heā€™s doing. All their kid friendly youtubers are playing it as well, so itā€™s pretty much ubiquitous.

Iā€™m retaining my disapproval and he knows Iā€™m not happy about it so I guess thatā€™ll be how things proceed for the time being.

As it happens, Forza (which I think Pap mentioned elsewhere) and Lego Worlds seem to be flavour of the week.

Iā€™d say 7 (I assume thatā€™s year 2) is too young and resist if you can, especially if he doesnā€™t have an older sibling.

2 Likes

That bloke in Vancouver who ran over those people played Fortnite. Thatā€™s not been officially announced but Iā€™m sure he would have done. The game breeds monsters.

2 Likes

Youā€™re an msm journalist arenā€™t you?

1 Like