🐉 đŸ’ș ⚔ Game Of Thrones /spoilers

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this.

We can agree on BoB though.

Originally posted by @TheCholulaKid

We can agree on BoB though.

I really don’t think anything will ever come close if I’m honest. The most poweful, brilliant, upsetting and inspiring TV ever made.

Check out Generation War, not exactly the same thing but follows five Germans.

Definitely need a Soviet perspective on that as well. If all anyone knew of WW2 were films or shows, you’d think it was only the Americans that won it.

There is plenty of Russian and German stuff out there, just have to look for it. I’m having a brain fart ATM about the 2 I watched not so long ago. One about the German advance into Russia and the countless awful things that followed and one about Stalingrad.

The big difference, for me, is that I’ve visited Normandy/Holland/Belgium countless times and can feel the history. I’d love to do the same in Russia.

Bit of a sausage fest, tho.

No-one expects a Game of Thrones comment when winter is coming a lot sooner than the next series.

Interesting comment, tho’. What do we reckon?

“The fact that they put any ethnic minorities in that means that there should be space for bigger characters,” he told RadioTimes.com. “Because you’re not just saying ‘OK this is purely a white world, and here are very story-driven reasons why that’s the case.’”

He continued: “You are interspersing people of colour into it, and so therefore it’s a conscious decision to put them on the margins, as opposed to put them front and centre. Even if for whatever reason, it’s a world in which people of colour in those stories are subservient, or they are more in a helper role, that doesn’t mean they can’t have prominent storylines. All you have to do is shift the focus to focus on those characters.”

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/actor-david-oyelowo-criticises-game-of-thrones-for/419441

We are all people “of colour” are we not? Why cant he come right out and say what he means? It seems to me that the show does its bit for diversity. One of the main characters is a dwarf. Another lead character is a lesbian (or maybe bi). An earlier lead character was gay. Many of the characters are ugly. Many are different shades of “colour.” Martin writes of a world similar to the period of The Wars of the Roses. Were there many “lead characters” around Europe that time “of colour?” There are plenty of shows on TV and films that dont have actors “of colour” in lead roles are there are plenty that do. Shoe horning them into a story line just to keep some people happy is not the way forward. I went to see a film about The Beatles the other week. Guess what? There was no one “of colour” in the band and when they finally did put one in (Billy Preston) he sat at the edge and didnt get the same screen times as the white guys. Pah.

2 Likes

The internet has worked out the whole of season 7

Cheers for that Big Spoiling Bob

1 Like

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Originally posted by @BTripz

The internet has worked out the whole of season 7

Cheers for that Big Spoiling Bob

Can someone tell George Martin then as he needs to finish the feckin book before he croaks!!

He is up to his eyes in trying to produce stuff for the Beatles and being dead and stuff. Give him a break.

1 Like

Final season is going to be a mere seven episodes, wrapping it all up.

Guess they got tired of waiting for George RR Martin too.

:lou_sad:

1 Like

Will Sansa cop it?

Not a big loss to be honest, I really do not think Sophie Turner is a good actress.

1 Like

Been thinking about the rather short seventh season. It really isn’t necessary, and while a lot of people are going to lay the blame at George RR Martin’s feet for taking so long and writing about rolls of cheese so much, instead of just bloody getting on with it, the showrunners also need to take their share of the blame.

They abridged and composited from the start. I’m on record as saying that they did some of the character compositing very well, bringing focus to characters like Tywin Lannister that were otherwise off-screen in the books.

They basically covered a book a season, and now they’re out of books. There was no need. The show eventually began to show respect for battles, devoting entire episodes to their depiction. If they’d taken that approach with the battles of books 1-3, they could still have had an excellent show, proper cliffhangers and time for George RR Martin to get the rest down.

Fans of both book and show will get it all as long as the creator doesn’t croak. The showrunners best guess after the pretty narrow planks they ran down, and Martin’s cheese-wheel laden finale in the book form.

1 Like

Haven’t read the books myself Pap but from what you’re saying it sounds like they were caught out a bit in the early days, by how massive a success the show would become. Probably would have done things a bit different had they known. 
 more of a question than a statement really, I was a late starter and they were airing S5 when I discovered it.

Are the books very different to the show or simply more detailed ?

Read first one and gave up. Lots of waffle. Mainly about food.

2 Likes