šŸ“½ Films I have seen

First time writer directer. Really good, really beautifully shot on location in Jersey. The performances are great. Itā€™s like a subversive take on film noir where thereā€™s this dangerous other figure.

1 Like

Ted Heath?

2 Likes

Airplane movies. Deadpool 2 Brilliant loved the whole self deprecating vibe.
Jurassic World 2. Why? Cā€™mon, we did those corporate bad guys thing when Jeff Goldblum was young.

Ted Heath is dead Pap, but my username is of course a tribute.

Iā€™ve seen The Day Today, @TedMaul :slight_smile:

Canā€™t disagree with any of this apart from maybe the final score, I would probably drop it down to a 4/10.

The thing of note to take from the film is that there are 8 types of fuck (Love fuck, hate fuck, sex-only fuck, break-up fuck, make-up fuck, drunk fuck, buddy fuck, pity fuck) who knew??

Note to self, in future take more notice of @Fatsoā€™s film reviews, might save on 2 hours that Iā€™ll never get back.

1 Like

My girlfriend would probably add ā€˜disappointing fuckā€™ to that list.

6 Likes
1 Like

Itā€™s a film by Panos Cosmatos, Itā€™s his second film, itā€™s really heavy on atmosphere and photography. The soundtrack is stunning ā€œJonathan Johanssonā€

His last soundtrack, He worked with Denis Villeneuve, Arrival, Blade Runner etc. Itā€™s that intense overpowering thing. He died this year

Enjoyed this:

3 Likes

Great little film, very original in the way its shot, quirky suits this perfectly. I rather like this.

Done my duty. Took Mrs D_P to her first ever non Franchise/SciFi movie this morning.

A Star is Born.

Obviously only went because Iā€™m in it. At Glasto with my mates - and we could actually see the ā€œareaā€ we were inā€¦

Itā€™s a reboot. It is very well done. It is a weepie.

A lot of reviews focus on the surprise of many that Gaga can actually act. For me the biggest surprise was that she can REALLY sing. Obviously because I live in this celeb free bubble down here I had no idea that Bradley Cooper was a successful Country Star before The Hangover and in fairness to him, he carries his tunes off damn well.

Yeah we all know the story, Boy meets Girl, Boy drinks too much. But it was enjoyable and yeah, the last song while not Streisand nor a song for the ages had one reaching for the sunglasses.

(Note there were only two guys in the whole cinema, I did nearly drown at some points in the movie and the theatre was surprisingly full for a 10:25am screening). IF you get dragged out to see it chaps, it IS worth seeing.

#emmyawardsmoment

Bradley Cooper played the drunk rock star and put the movie together very well. And I would happily go listen to him sing the soundtrack in a Tent at Glasto next summer (if it meant missing Bieber or someone)

I watched this (A Quiet Place) last night. Agree completely. Very tense and compelling. Brilliant

1 Like

The Angel on Netflix.
A docu-drama telling a true and incredible story. Superbly set in early 1970ā€™s sets and visuals are excellent. As the incredible story emerges the tension builds even though the overall story is so well known.
But I certainly didnā€™t know the details.
A truly great film rare I watch something with 50% subtitles. Mrs D_P never does.
Gripping, true, and a story of bravery and genius we should all know.
Brilliant story very well told.
Watch it.

Finally got around to watching Freddy Got Fingered this weekend. It got pelters from the critics. It is fucking stupid. It is also fucking hilarious.

Bohemian Rhapsody.
I donā€™t do musicals, hell, I only go to the cinema for Star Wars/Trek movies, so to go out to see TWO musicals inside one month has never happened before.

And what a good film this is. Yes, Ramiā€™s accent is a bit forced, yes, Frannie Benali would have been better as the older Freddie, but it told the story, which at the end of the day is why I wanted to go see it.

A Star is Born tore at the heartstrings and had some OK songs. BR tore at the memory and had some unbelievable songs. It wonā€™t be a sing-a-long Mama Mia type cult movie as the song clips are too short, but damn it gave us goosebumps.

The whole Live Aid scene was brilliantly recreated, captured the emotion of that day AND those 1980ā€™s mega concerts at the old Wembley Stadium. It made me SO SO bloody glad I saw Queen live, that I got the chance to sing We are the Champions (and BR) with them. It also made me so glad I went to the Old Wembley for gigs.

It isnā€™t a perfect film, Rami captures Freddie without being him, but Gwilym Lee IS Bryan May. As a critic Iā€™d give it a 7.5 or an 8 out of 10.

But emotionally? It was a 20 out of 10. Christ, even Mike Myers acted properly in it.

I bloody loved it.

All we hear is Radio Gaga Radio Bazzaā€¦
Daaaaaamn still giving me goosebumps 2 days later

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just finished watching Rocky III. Iā€™m not proud; it is generally considered the film in which the series took an artistic nosedive in a successful bid to enlarge the franchise, but it is also the movie in which Rocky and Apollo become friends, so itā€™s a must watch if youā€™re building up to Creed 2.

Emerging from the filmā€™s denouement, in which Sylvester Stallone totally destroys Mr T, I hear complaints from the missus. She is watching Iā€™m A Celeb and cannot hear it. Moreover, sheā€™s not interested in any Rocky III revelations.

Compliant, I nip out to get a cup of tea. On my return I said that I knew Rocky III was shit, but you could sometimes get more wisdom watching that shit than the shit she was watching.

ā€œOh yeahā€, she says, ā€œlike what?ā€.

ā€œWell Iā€™ve just been watching the Rocky films and thinking all the early ones are about white male empowermentā€. I do not explain my reasons. She knows what Iā€™m getting at. ā€œTell me what you learn from The Chaser wearing a gnome hatā€, I add :slight_smile: