📽 Films I have seen

Aaand Shut the fuck up :lou_facepalm_2: sorry

Practice video, without the high budget high speed chases

Exactly Dude :laughing:

And also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHphfIAkAfg

The greatest car chase scene

Seriously, before health and safety became a thing :laughing:

Way too much French Connection there buddy :laughing:

I haven’t been a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, or his musical friend Hans Zimmer :slight_smile:

Dunkirk is his greatest film and the comparisons to Kubrick are pretty close. It’s his best film by a long shot, the soundtrack is just something else, the increasing noise of the Stuka bombers and constant ticking of the soundtrack … The German enemy aren’t ever seen in person … Just a constant threat.

3 Likes

I saw it last week, and still that ticking soundtrack :confused: It’s a movie that stays with you …

1 Like

Atonement … Joe Wright’s first movie, kinda showing off with the long choreagraphed take :laughing:

It’s technically great but doesnt feel real imo

Also, it’s 1.30am Ted :confused:

1 Like

True Detective … Single take

Good to have you back Ted…every forum needs a decerning nerd.

1 Like

Up at the crack of dawn on a Friday morning and off to the local IMax Laser to see Dunkirk.

We only go to movies early (if at all) here simply because in the evenings I cannot be assed to pay good money to listen to arrogant morons show everyone they have friends on FB or chat about Neymar’s transfer.

So cinema was only about 30 people yet still two twats sit in front of us and decide to jabber. Luckily Mrs D_P (who had been reluctantly dragged along to a war movie snapped their heads off they shut up and we were away.)

So, let’s say first up I don’t give a shit about any PC crap regarding the film. It’s a FILM not a documentary. Not as if Lawrence of Arabia was particularly PC with Alec Guinness as an Arab or that other Epics have been “exact” in their detail.

That was a stunning visual and sensual experience, expertly crafted to take a BIG picture down to smaller bite sized chunks.

Even Mrs D_P was gripped by it and, like me found herself about to applaud at the end.

Thoughtful, emotive, entertaining and the past hour has been spent explaining a piece of history that far too many (outside of England & France) did not really know about.

So hats off to Christopher Nolan. That was an Epic way to spend a Friday morning.

If you haven’t been, go see it in IMax while you can. It is a sight to behold and downloading ain’t ever going to do it justice.

2 Likes

Thanks mate :laughing: It’s a compliment, of sorts. I’ll take it.

Saw Dunkirk today and was looking forward to it after many rave reviews. Good special effects but very much like an old British was film with CGI. They shove in a few famous actors who don’t have to do very much, although Mark Rylance at least put in a shift. WTF was Harry Styles doing there? At least he was cast as an arse and not a hero. It is ok, but Saving Private Ryan raised the bar for war films and this doesn’t come close. I get that it is the story of Survival told through the eyes of a few, but you never get an idea of the scale of the operation. They were hoping to save tens of thousands but ended up saving well over 300k. An awesome feat but you wouldn’t know it watching this film.

Should add that the Spitfire had enough ammunition for a continuous 16 second burst but Tom Hardy seemed to have an endless supply of ammo.

1 Like

You say you get it but then pull it up for not doing something it wasn’t trying to achieve in the first place? I watched it again today at the BFI IMAX in London and was overwhelmed again. There’s not many films that hit me emotionally but this is one of them, and I imagine I will watch it again before it’s run is finished.

1 Like