FIFA vs PES

Apart from the one I had last night, I’m never touching one of them again.

1 Like

Funny you should say that but my daughter is named after her.

A bit heavy handed there Lou, I’d save handball and elephant polo.

1 Like

You named your daughter Coxford?

1 Like

Last year, I felt it was neck and neck, despite really liking the way that PES played. This year, there’s no contest on the pitch itself. PES feels like the more natural game, mostly because of the fluidity of the players and the ball. Anyone that has played FIFA recently will have noticed a bit of lag between telling the player to do something and them actually doing it. We’re talking milliseconds, but it’s noticeable and can often be the difference between a successful pass and an interception. PES doesn’t seem to be afflicted by this.

The ball itself feels suitably chaotic. The game rocks some pretty bitching collision routines which know how it has bounced off a player’s leg or what not. It makes for an experience where the ball doesn’t seem like it is entirely glued to your foot, and the same kind of idiosyncratic goals that appear in real life appear in game.

I can only really recommend the PS4 version. The PC version is a port of the PS3 version, which isn’t ideal. Not sure whether you can re-skin the graphics on the XBox One. But yeah, if you’ve got a PS4, PES is the football game to get imo.

Video from myClub mode in PES. That’s why the players are different (and why Bale is back :cool:).

You can see the imported kits though.

1 Like

You can’t give Heston that kind of room ffs.

2 Likes

I’m getting sorely tempted to edit one of the leagues into a Sensi style custom league. They were beautifully funny. We need more of that shit in today’s football games.

4 Likes

So, I have some massive, potentially game-breaking issues with FIFA this year. Those that say it’s the same game every 12 months are bang wrong this time. My issues thus far:

• Supposedly world-class players consistently failing to make simple 5 yard passes. This means the turnover of possession is ridiculous and often resembles pinball;

• Far too many penalties, and for silly things. Anthony Martial tripped over and fell backwards into Jose Fonte in my box yet was awarded one!

• Opposition teams are able to sit so high up the pitch that you can barely play out of defence. Yet even with ‘high pressing’ on, your own players sit well back from the opposition;

• Hold-up play is near impossible due to the increased physicality of the players. Likewise if you do try to hold it with a striker, the AI intelligence for making runs off you is poor (even when you attempt to manually force it);

• I’ve never played purely using pace, but every player now runs at the same speed;

• The middle of the pitch gets so congested that the easiest way to get forward is to run down the byline and put endless crosses in. Turns out David Moyes’ tactics are as dull to play as they are to watch;

• All in all, I feel like I’m playing World Ball-Chasing Simulator.

I’ve seen people say that you need to play tika taka, but possession football is my modus operandi and I just don’t see how you can do it in this. Not when players’ range of passing and first touch control is universally appalling.

On the plus side, goalkeepers seem to have improved slightly and it’s nice that your defenders are actually able to block shots, rather than everything magically passing through them.

Going to give it another couple of weeks of play before I consider trading it in. Really want it to be good as I can see what they’ve done in many respects. The implementation’s just so ham-fisted!

Towards the end of a cycle Football Manager I used to do similar. I’d make a daft team like this, give them a massive stadium and pump them full of money. Was fun for a while, and my adolsecent self would usually titter away at Richard Head (my Drama teacher at school was genuinely called Richard Head btw) & Wayne Kerr leading the line for England.

1 Like

Some footage of the second half between myself and Juvenile Unit #2 this evening. My video trimming skills are shite, but it starts off with a goal from Clyne.

Right, so having played enough of the game to have a proper view, here are some things I loved about PES.

The collision system adds so much it is unreal. Sliding tackles are viable, and apart from scoring a goal, they’re one of the most satisfying things in the game. Going through a player and getting just enough of the ball for it all still to be legal happens a lot. You’ll get booked if the player has no chance of getting the ball, like - but it is tremendously satisfying to dispossess a speeding winger by sliding through him, emerging on the other side ready to chase for a loose ball, leaving him writhing in agony on the deck.

Pochettino would love this game. Loads of opportunities to press up front, with even forward players being able to stick a leg in. Tons of mistakes to be exploited up the pitch, on both sides.

I’ve also managed to ditch my habit of holding down the sprint button at all times and having a shagged out team by half time. This really does allow you to let the ball do the work.

Other things I like; it isn’t called FIFA, meaning I haven’t just given a load of money to FIFA. Also, I think it only goes down to Championship. “Hampshire Blue” don’t exist :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m a good few games into a Master League season at Regular difficulty. It’s still mostly last year’s squad, but I bought Theo Walcott and am playing a high pressing 4-3-3 with either Wanyama or Schneiderlin as the sole defensive screen. I’m writing about PES now instead of playing it because my next opponents are Man City, and I’m bricking it a little bit. Most of my goals are coming from pure speed. Walcott can get onto most things, and is easily past his last man. Pelle is deployed as loose ball winner and battering ram. Tadic and Mané sit just behind threading balls to one of my three front men, all of whom can hit the back of the net.

But still, that City game. Time waits for no man. Let’s get on it.

Had FIFA94 then switched to the various incarnations of ISS and then PES for years until FIFA clearly became the better game.

Two things about FIFA16 that are really annoying. The keeper punches loads of crosses unnecessarily. Ludicrously easy to give away penalties.

Having said that I just beat some wanker online away at Old Trafford. 3-2 after being 2 down. Pelle, Long and Tadic with the winner. That felt pretty sweet.

1 Like

I won my City game 2-0 in PES, but then croaked to a 4-4 draw with West Ham at their place. If I had to fault PES, it’s that the ref is far too forgiving on sliding tackles. But for my 4-3-3 counter press team, that’s just fucking lovely.

Wanna hear a funny story of KRG doing something really stupid (yes, KRG is really stupid, and does stupid things a lot, I am sure you have noticed this)?

So enthralled was I with paps regular updates and poorly edited videos, coupled with glowing press reports I decided to take the plunge and by a PES game for the first time in about 10 years. Went on the PS Network, searched for sports games, skipped past FIFA '16 and downloaded PES.

Wait for the game to download, fire it up. What do I see on my screen? PES fucking '15. Yup, I bought the wrong fucking game. For some reason PlayStation network place the older one before the newer one in the shop. With '16 being under the fold, not the first fucking game you see.

useless pricks.

Oh I ended up getting the new one. So if anyone fancies a game (ps4) shout me up.

All that fancy computer bollocks… this was a proper game!

…even if your team were freakish clones

1 Like

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

All that fancy computer bollocks… this was a proper game!

…even if your team were feakish clones

Striker was for posh kids. Blow football all the way.

2 Likes

Christmas '75… get in… used to have to spend hours retriving the balls from under the sofa… Being a kid in the 70s had its moments.