Favourite Sandwich

Quite so. You’re all going to hell.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Furball

I’ve actually sort of quit bread. I say sort of, because it got cocaine levels of addictive powers. But there’s evidence out there it’s not good for you.

The sad thing it means I can’t have raw onions anymore.

I simply couldn’t give up bread. Pretty much every day for lunch I have a sandwich; if not that then very rarely a bowl of soup with a roll. Then factor in that I’d never be able to have a bacon sandwich; beans on toast; naan with a curry; pitta with a doner; ham and cheese toastie; baguette to scoop chilli; toast with a fry up; crumpets; hamburger buns; steak sandwich in a ciabatta; the list goes on.

Nope, I’d rather be fat and unhealthy.

God, but I like a man who’s passionate about sausages.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Ha, just re-read Furball message - I though he was calling Hoofinruth fat ! Rather than all of us :frowning:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A handcart would be my preferred means of transport for this journey. That or a nice boat over a murky river. Can either of these be arranged please?

I’d rather give up electricity than bread.

1 Like

No. Sorry.

Fried bread with a fry-up. Not toast.

Or at least fried bread AND toast. How is toast on its own going to stop an adult, male heart?

You’ll be telling me that you don’t have black pudding with your fried breakfast next.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Ha, just re-read Furball message - I though he was calling Hoofinruth fat ! Rather than all of us :frowning:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A handcart would be my preferred means of transport for this journey. That or a nice boat over a murky river. Can either of these be arranged please?

the river Styx is a piece of piss. Drive to gatwick, one way flight to preveza, hire car, drive thirty minutes north. Voila. Don’t forget a couple of euros to pay him.

I love bread, but I feel pretty damn good when I don’t eat it.

No. Sorry.

I’m with the Goat here, Kraken.

There is something slutty * about the marriage of white bread, butter and fatty, processed pork sausages.

I would never eat white bread or cheap pork sausages on their own, but together…now that’s a different story.

* Can I say that, Lou?

2 Likes

Given that millions of people in many, many countries have used bread and wheat as staples for many generations, I’d be very wary of 'evidence ’ that bread’s not good for you. Look a little closer and you’ll probably find that said evidence is stuff spouted by ‘nutritionists’ who wouldn’t recognise a scientific study if it knocked on their door and said “Hello now. I’m a scientific study. I’m peer reviewed and everything.”

I could be wrong of course, but I can never help feeling that the whole ‘bread’s not good for you’ thing (along with various other food things, like superfoods and god knows what else) is essentially more fashion than fact.

Or, to put it another way, keep on eating bread. It won’t hurt you, unless you eat far too much of it. But then that’s true of anything. Except quinoa. You can’t eat too much quinoa.

1 Like

You disgust me, you filty animal.

Sausage sandwich with white bread and butter? Oh yes. But the bangers for me have to quality. I don’t buy supermarket sausages any more as butchers’ bangers are just infiitely better, and there’s so much wide variety. I can just about abide cheap bacon, but sausages are sacrosanct in this household.

2 Likes

You are, as Jack Nicholson observed, so right. A good, thick slice of two-day-old white bread, fried in copious quantities of fat, is a gift from the gods. Crunchy, succulent and mouth-damagingly hot. If you want it to be less arterially abhorrent, use groundnut oil instead of lard to fry it.*

*Actually, I would normally fry bread in oil and not lard. I lack the requisite death wish.

1 Like

With you on this. Cheap sausages have no place on this earth. Anyone who makes them should be flogged up and down the high street.

1 Like

You sound like the organisation I work for. Getting all serious and asking for evidence and stuff. Whatever!

But seriously, the bread/wheat one is very much under evidenced at the moment. Researching anything around food is tricky because it’s almost impossible to get a controlled environment.

But at the same time, that means experts take a very cautious line. They’re only very recently changing the advice from avoid all fat, to avoid bad fats, and sugar is only very recently being demonised to the level it deserves. So the eat in moderation line is fine, but it’s cautious. (I think they learned from the egg fiasco) And when some food groups are addictive, it’s hard to eat them only in moderation. I think better to experiment with food, and eat what makes you feel good. Which for me is lemons, raw onions, fish and tomatoes. :slight_smile:

I have not had a sandwich today, I have had a bad boy pot noodle for ouch instead! This must be much better than bread?

Is there anything real in a pot noodle?!

Most people have a Wheat intolerance which ranging from very mild to a full blown allegy. Ever feel bloated / tired after eating pasta?

Whilst its been in our diet for generations, that is nothing in evolutionary terms - quite simply humans were not designed to eat it.

The Ayatollah has a severe allegy and so we have had to cut it out of most things (I still have proper pasta and bread) but you be surprised where wheat turns up - oxo cubes, soy sauce, wine gums, most shop bought sausages and burgers, most ready meals

This is very true. I had 8 pints of Black Sheep last Saturday and woke up in someone’s garden at half 7 on Sunday morning. Fucking allergies.

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

Most people have a Wheat intolerance which ranging from very mild to a full blown allegy. Ever feel bloated / tired after eating pasta?

Whilst its been in our diet for generations, that is nothing in evolutionary terms - quite simply humans were not designed to eat it.

The Ayatollah has a severe allegy and so we have had to cut it out of most things (I still have proper pasta and bread) but you be surprised where wheat turns up - oxo cubes, soy sauce, wine gums, most shop bought sausages and burgers, most ready meals

Oh dear, poor her, that doesn’t sound like much fun.

I think most of us probably don’t realise how good our bodies should feel after eating. If you spend a week eating fish and veg, the idea of going back to the standard Brotish diet suddenly feels very heavy.