🏆 FA Cup 3rd Round - :saints: Southampton v Shrewsbury :shrewsburyfc: (Live on :bt_sport: Sports 2)

Does this mean that they forfeit the game and we go through, a la Tottenham v Orient?

This does seem monumentally unfair - we have the money to be testing as often as we like, and can get of top of an outbreak eg McCarthy, whereas Shrewsbury won’t have the same resources

It is unfair, I think the PFA could have been doing more to help lower league players, especially where health is concerned.

1 Like

Clear as mud.

Some reports suggest that if postponed matches cannot be rearranged before the fourth round, the affected team will have to forfeit, giving their opponent a bye.
Sky Sports reported on Tuesday that no club will automatically have to forfeit a game if they are hit by coronavirus, with each case to be assessed by the FA on its individual circumstances.
So everyone getting cancelled by Covid goes to VAR & Man Utd get given a penalty

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. The PFA have never looked after the lower leagues, they have to be shamed into helping old pro’s who have fallen on hard times, only after their plight becomes public. Whilst paying themselves high six figure salaries. I think Gordon Taylor was/is the highest paid union leader in the land, by a country mile.

The FA and EPL could chip in of course, it’s not as if they’re short of a bob or two.

Fucking Plague Shrews.

5 Likes

At this time the game still seems to be going on…perhaps waiting for follow-up tests.

Just saw elsewhere that it’s off. Can’t see confirmation. Postponed fir now, but if it can’t be played next week, we get a bye.

Off for now.

Yep Saints official site has confirmed it’s been called off.

Very unfair on shrews. Inoffensive, placid furry creatures (not sure how any football club can live with a shrew being their mascot). But I can confirm the biblical plagues did not include shrews.

(As they’re my local club, I feel obliged to put in a good word. It was even worse when they played at Gay Meadow)

2 Likes

I’m more relieved than anything. Although the Liverpool game won’t have taken much out of the players, after all we won at a canter with plenty of reserve players on the pitch, it still gives us more of a rest before an important cup game against a really big side.

1 Like

I don’t think there are ANY really big sides anymore…we fear none. :lou_lol:

3 Likes

From the mouth of the horse

Playing this game is now working out well. We don’t have to play Leeds whilst we’ve got a pile of injuries. And I think I was wrong thinking Bertie can’t use the Cup game serve his suspension - he can.

But it’s still hard to see how we can put together a decent team for Tuesday and rest players.

Forster
KWP Bednarek Stephen’s Vokins
Valery Diallo JWP Chauke
N’Lundulu Long

Gives us a good bench, giving Valery time wide gives him experience & he was always better going forwards.
I’d rest Armstrong Theo & Che if possible & give Ings time.

But wed have options on the bench!