⚽ European Super League

Liverpool fans spell out what they think:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2LsNxnjhl/?igshid=23ajtmb7yrgp

I’d much rather it be a 20 team Premier League where everyone has broadly the same resources and can therefore have a chance of winning through the use of superior tactics and recruitment, rather than there be 6 teams with double the money of the other 14.

Could be a chance to make real, positive change - add in a salary cap/financial regulations to keep it at a level playing field (the one good bit of MLS) and it’s still a compelling product. Invite Celtic and Rangers to come in and add 4 Championship teams and I’m all for it.

I’ll honestly be furious if the FA, UEFA and FIFA just bend over at the end of the day and let them get away with their brinkmanship in order to get a bigger slice of the pie. Just let them take their ball home with them and see how it works out for them - I think it would get very boring after a couple of seasons and would subsequently relish the 8-10 years it’ll take the Big 6 to all get back from National League to Premier League…

4 Likes

In truth it is way more than double the resources in the majority of instances.

Sorry not able to link the quote, but I like how one of the French sporting papers has tried to find real positives, as part of its scathing attack on this. Something like “Just think of the prospect of Ajax, Porto and Napoli, joining the likes of Leicester, West Ham and Rangers, in a genuine contest in future. The new Nottingham Forests and Aston Villas, but for 2020-2030”

1 Like

Blimey - have Uefa discovered their balls

2 Likes

So what does an England team excluding players from the “big six” look like?

But it will still be viewed as a second tier… just like the BDO in darts

Let’s put it this way - JWP is likely to be our best player

GermanFA not happy with it…

DFB TAKES CLEAR STANCE AGAINST EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE CONCEPT

The German Football Association (DFB) takes a clear stance against the concept of a European Super League. Football should always be about performance on the pitch; it decides promotion and relegation, as well as qualification for the respective competitions. The commercial interests of a few clubs should not lead to the abolishment of football’s long established solidarity and togetherness. Every club must decide if they want to remain a part of the harmonious, organised overall footballing structure, or follow their egotistical self-interests away from UEFA and the national football associations.

The DFB strongly supports the joint statement of UEFA and England, Italy and Spain’s leagues and national associations.

NOTHING on the FA web site…?

1 Like

I think I would be considering parking the bus against San marino

That’s not a terrible team, certainly not the keeper and front six!

Might actually be worth watching

I’ve just read something interesting that could upset the apple cart of these greedy bastards running the so called elite clubs in this country. Although national government may have limited powers to do anything about stopping this super league, local government may have stronger and long forgotten powers. Football clubs use the name of their towns and cities with the permission of the local council. If Liverpool Council decides it no longer wants Liverpool FC to bear it’s name, then they can withdraw that right. The club could still exist and play in the new ESL and would have to call itself something else, but not Liverpool. Red Mersey anyone? The same would apply to the Manc teams, Chelsea, Tottenham. Liverpool FC have already had their arses handed to them in court a while ago when they tried to copyright the name Liverpool. Given the importance of the brand, this would be quite a threat.

4 Likes

I suspect a ‘big’ donation to local council schemes and projects might be quite persuasive though…

1 Like

So cynical! But yeah.

Bet Liverpool are happy they are playing behind closed doors tonight - they would be getting dogs abuse from their fans

1 Like

More on the blast from UEFA:

Ceferin said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if there is any potential for clubs being thrown out of European competition - five of them are due to play in Champions League or Europa League semi-finals next week - and players being barred from Euro 2020.

Unbelievable stuff.

If players are banned from international competitions, that is surely going to fuck their work permit chances

1 Like

I totally get where you are coming from Mot, and as a fully paid up member of the cynical squad on all matters political I would normally agree. However, in regards to this matter I have my doubts. Given the strength of feeling and overwhelming hostility to these plans by their constituents it would surely be political suicide if they did. They may be immoral bastards, but they’re not fucking stupid!

5 Likes

Even the most myopic of politicians can see that this is not something you want to get on the wrong side of

5 Likes

Better?