đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡ș European Parliament Elections 2019

Well, you’re at odds with most political commentators.

I personally think that view is absurd given the recent Tommy Robinson associations and the slide toward outright Islamophobia in what remains of UKIP.

The Brexit Party won’t need to do any of that shit. The two main parties have given them all the campaigning material they need.

My odds of being correct have just shot up then😁

Use ukip as the worse example and no one looks at them. Doesn’t change who they are.

One party and certain elements in the other.

As usual Brits worried only about their small corner (as shown by this thread) :roll_eyes: :sunglasses:
Meanwhile, the problem of right wing & Nationalism continues to grow across Europe

BBC News - European elections a moment of truth for nationalists

1 Like

Some worrying percentages in these surveys/polls

Across Europe, three-quarters of voters think politics is broken at either the national or EU level or both. In France only 15% think the political system works well.

1 Like

I’ve repeatedly referred to these elections as an EU-wide referendum on the EU.

1 Like

I’d rather have a wank.

2 Likes

I just did :lou_is_a_flirt:

2 Likes

Why are they growing?

National interest will always come before a European wide project, immigration is the prime example of the day.

Because the political elite are deemed out of touch with the needs/wants/problems of the proletariat.
Which is kind of stated in the article and supported by the facts of the opinion poll research.

but but we’re always told that the political elite know what is best for us and, once we vote them in, we should leave the decision making to them :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

Exactly so people are so sick of politicians (expenses scandal it really started for us) that they don’t care now, scorched earth policy it is, capitalism hasn’t helped them or worked for them, good luck to them, the generation now in their late 50’s is the last of the golden generation, cheap housing, pensions and education.
Its obvious people are going to take advantage of that and use it as fuel on the fire, let the whole rotten pile fall down, sure it will be replaced by another rotten pile but at least Rome will fall for a day.

1 Like

Problem with ‘democracy’ init
 generates career politicians who play the system to their advantage and generate short termist 'solutions and policy
 longer term infrastructure and real deeper review of services in real need of change such as the NHS, are sacrificed on the alter of electoral rhetoric
 ALL parties do the same, irrespective of policy
 and folks naturally become disillusioned with the whole system, especially after periods of economic turmoil, which leads to austerity and so thus even more right wing and authoritarian governments - its cyclical, same happened in the 1930s

This is why I find the whole flippant attitude towards an imperfect EU rather dangerous. There are countless examples where the moment the system reins on integration are removed in response to populist trends, that things turn to shit
 even when previously held together with fragile or in some cases dictators, there has been at least a more stable climate.

The EU is taking a beating now because its an easy target when there are national issues and problems as a result of 10 years of austerity - as if not being in the EU would have isolated members from the global banking crisis - Because the EU is far from perfect and full of many of the same elite, it probably deserves the kicking its getting, but to believe its disappearence will be a good thing for all countries as they struggle with their right wing demons and the usual shit that goes with nationalism, is naive.

As they say, be careful what you wish for

2 Likes

Yeah, because Macron’s brand of Europhile centrism seems just the ticket :wink:

Be careful what you wish for indeed.

4 Likes

And on this note. Goodnight :grinning:

2 Likes

As per one of the comments, top trolling by BK :+1:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BurgerKingUK/status/1129748114129215491

2 Likes

Well, it’s crunch week. As of this moment I don’t know who or what I’m voting for. I’d feel within my rights to vote for the Brexit Party. Their single policy, to exit the European Union on WTO terms, is appealing to me, and I suspect will attract a lot of voters after three years of limbo.

Even so, that will be very much a case of short term nose-holding to secure an outcome. If the outcome you’re seeking is getting Brexit implemented, you need the big parties to listen, something they’re not doing at present.

The other option for me is spoiling the ballot. I can’t really vote for Labour’s pro-Europe slate of candidates, won’t vote for any of the rabidly pro-Remain crowd, and no-one is going to be voting for the Conservatives, even Conservatives.

Regardless of what ends up happening with my ballot paper, I am predicting that the Brexit Party is going to take more than 40% of the vote.

In Hampshire this weekend
 I’ve only seen these out and about. Usually the place is rammed with Tory posters.

Interesting to say the least

1 Like