EU tearing itself apart over immigration

Ah, good old ‘facts’. If ever the Brexit thread taught us anything, ‘facts’ are in short supply but there’s no shortage of dogma and ideology.

Like your “facts” and perception on the effectiveness of the Maginot Line…

I didn’t mention it’s effectiveness at all. I refuted your claim (fact) that the French were stupid.

They were, for fear of offence they didn’t fully build the line, what fucking good is that? Have you got 3 fence panels missing in your back garden?

There were good reasons why they didn’t extend it - read your history. And they felt confident that they were covered in those areas where they had gaps. If I had three fence panels missing but a tank parked in front of the gap, I might be pretty confident.

Their mistake (not stupidity), if anything, was optimism bias.

So, this is relevant to the topic how?

So we’ll call it a stupid mistake then?

Only 19 posts into the thread and you’re already shouting FACT without showing any evidence. Isn’t that just an opinion?
You’re allowed your own opinion, but not your own facts Barry.
Now what’s the real cause of the potentially massive problem and who gains?

2 Likes

We desperately need a WW2 Thread. We could have the greatest WW2 resource in the world, if folk could piece together all the flotsam that tends to end up on these threads.

any yet I can’t help myself

My view is that not only was the Maginot Line a load of shit, effectively made obsolete by a war of movement the French were not equipped for, technologically, or psychologically. It was the embodiment of what they were about at the time. Defensive, clinging desperately to their Great War booty, determined that such a calamity would never befall them again. That’s the Maginot line.

You can’t be too harsh on the French. The Great War hit them like no other Western power. When every other antagonist shuffled off home and counted their dead, had to look their wounded in the eye, they at least returned to intact countries.

Large parts of France were ruined then and are still ruined today. An entire generation lost to the grinder of the Great War. Who wouldn’t want to curl up in a ball or surrender their capital at the first opportunity.

1 Like

Here he is, the saviour of the EU, the hero of the hour for the snowflakes, are you shitting a brick for the EU now? Now migration and self interest from genuinely right wing nations has come to the fore?
Well I did say, Merkel the vane whopper has this on herself and the Barvarians are about to pump her along with the Italians, Hungarians and Austrians, who want to be a part of this shit?

And, as I think I said in a previous thread months ago, it all depends on how you define ‘stupid’. If you use it in the usual sense of being unintelligent, dull-witted, mindless, witless then while those descriptions might apply to you, I don’t think that we can say they apply to the French in 1939.

Discourse. New jeans, same old arse.

6 Likes

Having French family its nothing but a source of embarrassment and their national pride, they got whalloped by the Prussians in 1870 lets not forget, they’re fucking stupid in not offending the Belgians and Dutch, what good is a wall with a big fucking hole in it?
Ignorance and arrogance and lets not forget the alliance of the South with the Nazis either.

It probably does apply to me but I would be wall from end to fucking end and then pronounce it impregnable and shout come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough.

I saw on Merkel top of this the other day.

Kicking the fuck out of it, she was.

2 Likes

Neither of which comes under the usual definition of ‘stupid’.

It does, please check, what the fuck are they teaching the kids these days?

C’mon now, @Goatboy. I think @Barry-Sanchez deserves credit for adapting.

Mind you, for the first few days, he was like a cat facing a cucumber every time he’s loaded the site up.

I’m personally very proud.

The teach them the meaning of words. You, evidently, never learnt this at school.

Blockquote
stupid
ˈstjuːpɪd/Submit
adjective

having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
“I was stupid enough to think she was perfect”
synonyms: unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, dull-witted, dull, slow-witted, witless, slow, dunce-like, simple-minded, empty-headed, vacuous, vapid, half-witted, idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, imbecile, obtuse, doltish; gullible, naive; informalthick, thick as two short planks, dim, dumb, dopey, dozy, crazy, barmy, cretinous, birdbrained, pea-brained, pig-ignorant, bovine, slow on the uptake, soft in the head, brain-dead, boneheaded, lamebrained, thickheaded, chuckleheaded, dunderheaded, wooden, wooden-headed, fat-headed, muttonheaded; informaldaft, not the full shilling; vulgar slangdumb-ass
“they’re not as stupid as they look”
foolish, silly, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless, mindless, scatterbrained, crackbrained, nonsensical, senseless, irresponsible, unthinking, ill-advised, ill-considered, inept, witless, damfool, unwise, injudicious, indiscreet, short-sighted;
inane, absurd, ludicrous, ridiculous, laughable, risible, fatuous, asinine, pointless, meaningless, futile, fruitless, mad, insane, lunatic;
informalcrazy, dopey, cracked, half-baked, cock-eyed, hare-brained, nutty, potty, dotty, batty, derpy, barmy, gormless, cuckoo, loony, loopy, zany, screwy, off one’s head, off one’s trolley, out to lunch;
informaldaft;
informalglaikit;
vulgar slanghalf-assed
“I promised never to make the same stupid mistake again”

Blockquote

Mind you, I’m pretty dumb as I can’t work out how to do blockquotes.

1 Like

ignorant
ˈɪɡn(ə)r(ə)nt/Submit
adjective
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
“he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid”
synonyms: uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unread, uninformed, unenlightened, unscholarly, unqualified, benighted, backward; inexperienced, unworldly, unsophisticated; unintelligent, stupid, simple, empty-headed, mindless; informalpig-ignorant, thick, airheaded, (as) thick as two short planks, dense, dumb, dim, dopey, wet behind the ears, slow on the uptake, dead from the neck up, a brick short of a load, two sandwiches short of a picnic; informaldozy, divvy, daft, not the full shilling; informalglaikit; informalchowderheaded, dumb-ass; informaldotish; informaldof; rarehebete
"an ignorant country girl"strong text