đŸ“ș Documentaries

Eh?

I’m saying that when he originally hung around with Saville he didn’t know the depth of what he was up to. He now seems to be feeling guilty that he hadn’t cottoned on to it at the time.

Does that make sense?

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

Originally posted by @pap

Louis Theroux : Savile is on iPlayer.

Theroux did the “when Louie met Jimmy” doc back in the day. Feels guilty for not pressing hard enough at the time.

Well worth his time and yours.

Remember swing the original back I the day. Remember thinking Saville was odd but nothing more - I certainly didn’t realise quite how odd he was until the stories and court cases surfaced.

I still have difficultly understanding how prevalent kiddy fiddling was, as it just wasn’t something I was aware of. I think that in a similar way Theroux’s latest documentary is trying too hard to cover his naĂŻvetĂ©.

I watched Theroux’s revisiting last night and it was “car crash horrible”. I remember it being screened originally and as cob says Savile came across as a slightly creepy oddball. In the '60s when he first surfaced mainstream DJs were clean-cut anyone who didn’t conform were catagorised as “eccentrics” and Savile was one of them.

Cob’s also right about paedo activity, just wasn’t on the general public’s radar. We were a generation that walked to infant’s school with our mates as 6 or 7 year olds
went out to play on a Saturday morning and got back home at tea-time. Our parent’s gave us free rein through ignorance (?) of the sordid reality. I’m sure it was out there but the media of the '50 and '60s never reported it so if they were naive it was understandable.

One of the most shocking revalations from last night’s revisiting is that some of those close to Savile through his work for charitable organisation were still in his power. Still in total denial of this hideous monster’s real character, that his charitable work was just a front to give access to the vulnerable, that his “good works” in some way was mitigation of the untold damage he did to the defenseless.

5 Likes

It was a fine and in many ways brave documentary.One memory of Savile which still haunts me a bit when i recall it. In the days after his death when he was ‘lying in state’ at, i think, Leeds Town Hall? The six o clock news was covering it and a woman, screaming hysterically, was pummelling her fists on his coffin. She was, of course, unceremoniously dragged out with her heels dragging along the ground and carted away. God alone knows what this monster had done to this poor woman for her to get in such a state.

A really chilling part in last night’s docu was the look Savile gave Theroux when he was asked how he got hold of Theroux’s ex directory address. “I can get any thing i want, anything at all”. That and the revelation from his PA that Savile had a direct line to 10 Downing Street and Margaret Thatcher. There can be no doubt that he got away with it for 50 odd years because he was protected by the highest echelons of British society, right up to the Royal Family. His close relationship with Mountbatten makes for interesting reading for anyone who cares to look it up.

There was an article and a bit of a debate in The Telegraph a few days ago previewing the documentary. There was a contribution from a retired Army officer who, back when Sarah Ferguson got engaged to Prince Andrew, applied for a position on Ferguson’s private security detail. There were three people on the interview panel. Sarah Ferguson obviously, a bigwig from the Palace household staff, and ---- Jimmy Savile!! WTF!

1 Like

Adam Curtis: Hypernormalization

On BBC iPlayer 
 very interesting and has a classic line of Gadaffi sugesting he wanted to help free Britain from the rule of that harlet Thatcher

yet a quite disturbing picture of what the world has become and how it got there. The issues in Syria also put into perspective, and helplessness and hopelessless of the traditional politic - and the rise of fear as the political tool not of the terrorist, but of the disruptive and ambiguous politic of the west

World is fucked
 :lou_sad:

Talking of documentaries.

Remember Making a Murderer? (Sure we have a threade but cannot find it under TV).

Two of the lawyers are doing a talk on Sunday night at the London Palladium 7pm. I know someone trying to get rid of their tickets as they cannot go. Anyone interested? Tickets are in Southampton but sure that they’d post them. They were absolutely stung on a stub hub deal but maybe an offer of the face value would be appreciated. Send me a message if interested.

Yes! Adam Curtis is back

Watch it.

too slow Kid
 too slow :lou_lol:

Is a great doc
 but left me in a state of miserable helplessness
 :lou_sad:

4 Likes

I’ve watched the Adam Curtis programme and can confirm that it will remove any hope that you may have left.

3 Likes

I watched it after having a few beers, then didn’t get out of bed for 24 hours as there seemed to be no point, and even then only got out of bed to get more beers. I’m ok now though. I hear ‘Bitter Lake’ is good?

2 Likes

Bitter Lake is brilliant. It won’t cheer you up though.

I also watched the Mozzem Begg Storyville documentary on iPlayer. Very interesting. Can’t really decide what I think about it all. He was held without trial for years in horrific conditions. That is wrong and dangerous. But his movements are so suspicious that it’s difficult not to believe he was up to no good. His explanations about his beliefs are all plausible and make sense. But its a short step from some of what he says he believes in to some of the more unpleasant sides of fanaticism.

I watched an hour on Sunday and just watched the rest (whilst all the football was on).

Do I have to go to work tomorrow? Seems like a waste really. Could I go live somewhere remote please? Bitter Lake is next on the list.

1 Like

This sounds familiar.

1 Like

Adam Curtis’ films are not really documentaries more a crossover of opinion piece and long form stuff.

“Century of the Self”
 Edward Bernais, the birth of marketing and using freudian techniques to keep selling things. It’s really worth watching :smile:

the act of killing is on sky Atlantic right now. Watch it if you’ve never seen it.

I’m waiting for Question Time. Farage and Will Self

Thanks mate :laughing: Someone watches my documentary links

https://vimeo.com/149970851

53.50 and onwards