đŸ“ș Documentaries

A look back on country practices from yesteryear.

1 Like

i watched episode 1 about a month ago and have just finished the rest in the last 24hrs. Like Bletch, I was expecting a happy ending and was astonished there wasn’t one, given the wealth of evidence to prove an unfair prosecution and trial. That really was madness. I have no idea how anything Brendan says can hold any weight given his obvious special needs and the fact that he changes his story regularly. What a fucking weird family though
clearly a bunch of wrong uns but that’s no excuse for abuse of police powers like this.

1 Like

David Attenborough’s Passion Projects ae currently on IPlayer. There’s a great one about a trek through Papua New Guinea in 1971. Madness.

This is an excellent documentary, focusing on all the times that the mass media has lied to Britons. Blooming interesting. I think with a lot of us just assume that people back in the day were totally clued into events we know inside out.

Lies, all lies.
Frau Farbissina

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

This is an excellent documentary, focusing on all the times that the mass media has lied to Britons. Blooming interesting. I think with a lot of us just assume that people back in the day were totally clued into events we know inside out.

Lies, all lies.
Frau Farbissina

https://youtu.be/GQtYLeJEmGw

I have to agree with the assertion that the UK is one of the most secretive democracies in the west. Whose fault is that? I tend to think it’s down to us, Joe Public. We’re not very good at demonstrating our disapproval at the Govt - I mean properly demonstrating in really significant numbers for a significant period of time. I’m sure we’ve been trained that way
and I think that’s what the establishment relies on, leaving them to do almost anything, with us only dimly aware. The internet and social media may change that & I think it is eroding the establishments old certainties of their place in the world. Tin foil hat off now

3 Likes
1 Like

I can’t find a link to the full film, but this is well worth checking out. It’s visually shot like a feature film, looks amazing and was pretty much the work of one guy Matthew Heineman who filmed everything and had no previous experience of filming in combat situations. It’s a bit of an eye opener into the reality of Mexican politics and the US war on drugs.

A quick review of George Galloway’s The Killing$ of Tony Blair.

Mentalists

It’s a completely different culture to the UK, to even discuss gun control is deemed liberal (read commie)

Woo

Deadliest Catch is back on Discovery down here. Looked new series to us

Top choice mate :smile:

An absolute genius. Genius is a bit devalued nowadays but this guy is one.

Louis Theroux : Savile is on iPlayer.

Theroux did the “when Louie met Jimmy” doc back in the day. Feels guilty for not pressing hard enough at the time.

Well worth his time and yours.

Remember seeing the original back I the day. Remember thinking Saville was odd but nothing more - I certainly didn’t realise quite how odd he was until the stories and court cases surfaced.

I still have difficultly understanding how prevalent kiddy fiddling was, as it just wasn’t something I was aware of. I think that in a similar way Theroux’s latest documentary is trying too hard to cover his naĂŻvetĂ©.

that post doesn’t make sense. You didn’t understand how bad Saville was but Theroux is trying too hard to cover his naivety? You can’t have it both ways.

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

Originally posted by @pap

Louis Theroux : Savile is on iPlayer.

Theroux did the “when Louie met Jimmy” doc back in the day. Feels guilty for not pressing hard enough at the time.

Well worth his time and yours.

Remember swing the original back I the day. Remember thinking Saville was odd but nothing more - I certainly didn’t realise quite how odd he was until the stories and court cases surfaced.

I still have difficultly understanding how prevalent kiddy fiddling was, as it just wasn’t something I was aware of. I think that in a similar way Theroux’s latest documentary is trying too hard to cover his naĂŻvetĂ©.

I think a lot of touching underage teenage girls wasn’t a serious issue back then. Lots of popstars and other stars probably got away with a lot of that behaviour. Not heard re the abuse against boys but heard from people now in their 60s who said girls got groped a lot. But when the perpetrator has very powerful friends who may also be doing the same you are unlikely to speak out and let people know if you have been abused.