šŸ“ŗ Documentaries

Werner Herzog movie, itā€™s more interesting that the guy was a failed US californian actor but sought fame through getting close to Grizzly Bears. Werner Herzog is known as a dour German documentary filmaker. He was eventually maulled to death and Werner documented it.

They look so cute

I went to see grizzly man with a slightly mentally unhinged friend of mine at a local arts cinema. We got shouted at by a serious man as my friend laughed at some of the footage deemed to be sad.

Backcountry, these bears arenā€™t cute :frowning:

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Started watching based on your shout, TiCK.

Compelling and a half.

3 episodes in and I just want to get rid of the relatives and keep watching it.

No spoilers please!

Where have we got to Bletch? Iā€™m up to episode 8 - been absolutely no let up - am going to try and finish it tonight then it will be really important that I discuss it with strangers on the internet.

Right, finished it. Incredible.

People need to watch this.

TiCK, just finished episode 8, and I am fucking fuming!

I wonā€™t tell you how I felt at the end lest it betray the outcome.

Struggling to think of a better documentary series though.

Oh, fuck.

Just finished it, TiCK.

We probably need a thread to chat about that - or at least we should couch everything in spoiler warnings.

People. Donā€™t read the spoilers. Watch it.

I feel fucking angry and frustrated by that.

I guess Iā€™ve become used to happy endings, and was expecting something positive at the end. But to watch all the sieving of the evidence, and then to see juries and judges time and time again reach the wrong decision was quite baffling.

I have to remember that weā€™ve seen everything from the filmmakerā€™s perspective, but even soā€¦

The evidence of procedural and evidential wrong-doing is surely so bloody obvious.

Lt Lenk can go fuck himself.

Kratz can go fuck himself too.

And Brendanā€™s first state defender needs to be beaten to death violently.

Mass collusion to fit up a man/men for crimes the likely did not commit.

Very angry.

1 Like

12 mins in "limited liability*

26 mins ā€¦ Fuck you Monsanto

46 mins its ok, lets all have tea

1 Like

Stop wasting your time, people. Just watch ā€˜Making a Murdererā€™ and be done with it.

SPOILERS COMING UP

Len Kachinsky (Brendanā€™s first defender) - what can you say?

Iā€™m taking pleasure in imagining the thud of the baseball bat as I slowly beat him to death

Ken Kratz - squidgy-faced soft-voiced lying arsehole

Colburn - cunt

At least I know when theyā€™re all lying on their deathbed and their lives are flashing past they will know they are not going to a good place.

Brendan - Jesus - who thought that kid deserved to be stitched up like that? Unscrupulous cunts. Disgusting.

1 Like

Marxism and cricket. Perfect.

Film about the industrialisation of food, itā€™s worth watching :slight_smile:

There are some images of animal cruelty, but donā€™t delete SaintBletch :slight_smile:

Sotonians is full of people that like their history. Here are some very good documentaries to take a look at. First up, an eleven part series on Vietnam. Itā€™s fairly straight-laced; mentions that Hanoi always denied the Gulf of Tonkin incident, but doesnā€™t delve deeply into any conspiratorial material. The transition from JFK to LBJ is dealt with as a change of policy in the main. None of that really matters though; itā€™s the personal accounts that bring this war home, captured relatively recently after events. Iā€™m only 4/11 episodes in, but Iā€™ve already seen some interesting stuff.

A former army soldier mentions that he joined up as an idealist, stating that he thought it would be better to fight the Communist Vietnamese in Vietnam, rather than San Diego, and it all sounds depressingly familiar. The same soldier talks about his early misgivings about their South Vietnamese allies, stating that he found their apparent unwillingness to fight irreconcilable with the bastard hard never say die VC, essentially the same people. He also questioned the disproportionately huge amount of US landmine casualties compared with their Southern Vietnamese, never seeming to step on them at all.

So far, most numerical talk of casualties has focused on the 50K+ US personnel that were killed, but there have already been hints that the documentary will be even handed when the war enters its murderous Nixon/Kissinger phase, along with its expansion into neighbouring countries.

The other documentary Iā€™ve found, in some ways a pre-requisite to Vietnam (the French war that preceded American involvement was as much about regaining national prestige as anything else), is Eye of Vichy, a look at France during its occupation by the Germans. Itā€™s not about what France was really like; itā€™s more about what the collaborating authorities wanted people to believe. Almost all of it is propaganda footage produced by Germans or French collaborators. Interesting, but also chilling to consider how quickly Franceā€™s values were usurped.

Loads of stuff here:

1 Like

Including this: