Cultural appropriation

Fucking thieving Irish - they appropriated the spud from america

2 Likes

I know, which is why i wrote…

I thought the whole issue was one of ingredients.
He appears to have used very little of the base ingredients of jerk, then added insult to injury by putting it in microwave rice(that’s worse than boil in the bag).
So he’s just stolen a name as a marketing tool, which makes him a bit of a sad, money grabbing, cunt.
Does anyone buy the carcinogenic tasteless mush and will the attention be good or bad?

• Brilliant marketing?
  • Marketing disaster?

0 voters

Point of order here.
I believe as described this is processed garbage food.
It is clearly described as Jerk Rice.
Clearly targeted to be eaten by Jerks.

3 Likes

Makes the precieved offence more believable when you put it like that🤔

He doesn’t say authentic jerk rice so I suppose he can use the term, is jerk actually ©

Just like my Sri Lankan junior watched a Netflix show called the Looming Towers (about the build up to 911) and he said it must be true because it’s based on real events!! :lou_facepalm_2::lou_facepalm_2:

I might buy some when I go shopping later this week (assuming it’s on the shelves) to see what all the fuss is about.

You never know, it might even be tasty…

So If I buy a packet of 'Tesco’s Jerk spice mix… which is full of shit and hardly authentic, would I be a twat?

No but you should be transported, in the bilge of a wooden sailing boat, to Jamacia. Where, on arrival, you shall be made to flavour test the different jerks until you can repeatedly identify the “proper” one!!

I make a decent Jambalya though… its not authentic but then I don’t claim it is - does this make me a twat?

Maybe, won’t be able to tell until I come around yours and try some :rofl:

1 Like

On a more serious note… I have to say I would find it a complement that the cuisine of my homeland was becoming more notable in other countries. The fact that it might not be authentic is for me not really relevant, as recipes differ even within the same village, let alone a country… what IS important is that the history and origin is acknowledged and that this is in an interpretation of it… Its what TV chefs like Kieth Floyd did so well, traveling to the countries and ONLY doing local dishes but with one or two twists he would point out… Many don’t like Rick Stein, but his travel cooking is also highly respectful of local nuance, but then makes his own version back home swapping in some ingredients - but he makes that point.

I guess I am not sure how twat Oliver presented his Jerk…

I’m going to try some with my turkey twizzlers.

3 Likes

I guess the British mentality of hating successful people in the public eye is in play here.
Helped by the fact he is a jerk.
Not sure Heston Fat Duck got as much shit for putting curry on the menu at The Little Chef

Is that the Besiktas or the Fenerbahce style Twizzlers?

What, specifically or just generally?

:lou_wink_2:

:mapoftasmania:

which bares an uncanny resemblance to:

:arsenalfc::bournemouthfc::westhamfc: :lou_surprised:

1 Like

I don’t think I can manage them now anyway. I’ve filled myself up with Thai tapas and Chicken Tiikka pizza.

I bet you’d eat a doner meat pizza.

I would

1 Like