Cultural appropriation

Boston’s clam chowder?

Pink vomit…

Kentucky Fried Chicken. :open_mouth:

I have culturally appropriated the magical human sect of Middle Earth.

I can only apologise.

3 Likes

Your card has been marked Sir. Clean shaven at next meet up please.

:lou_wink_2:

Apparently Levi Roots has waded in saying the recipe was a mistake. This from the man who brought us Reggae Reggae pizza.

The only thing the cultural appropriation achieves is proving that those making the accusations are massive hypocrites.

1 Like

And anyway wasn’t there a story that Levi Roots didn’t concoct his recipe & he nicked it from someone, maybe his mum. That’s a sort of appropriation too isn’t it?

:lou_wink_2:

Aye Misappropriation of in the language of MOTs - thieving cunts

There’s a lot of “it’s pc gone mad” type answers on this thread and I can understand that. However, to put another side to the argument, when someone (famous) takes a national dish and puts their own spin on it and puts it out there (whether it’s jerk chicken or curry or whatever) I can see how that can be annoying for natives of those countries. There are people who can cook those meals authentically. If you want them then ask but to take the recipie like Jamie has done, change it and then use your fame to say this is how I do it…well that’s rude. British people/ Europeans have taken things from the colonies for centuries… You need to look at it from that perspective. When your culture has been stolen and then when people say they can do your culture better than you can…well that’s imperialism again.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree but thought I’d give an alternative because this all seemed to be turning a bit Daily Mail.

3 Likes

Hey @Fatso, would a local Indian, Bangladeshi, or Chinese person really want to eat the “authentic” muck we buy from our local takeaway?

Even different European countries have different takes on what an Indian or Chinese meal is (Don’t have a Chinese (meal) in Lisbon for instance.

I’ve not really found anything like the UK’s one-pot masala curries back in the motherland of curry.

I’m now just going to argue for the sake of it because I really couldn’t give a shit about it all.

Indian/ Chinese takeaways in this country are still run by Indians (or whatever) and Chinese. They are not stealing and offering improvements. They’re adapting the food for another market. It’s not the same thing.

You’ve eaten in India and find the food different to restuarants here? That doesn’t make yoy an expert. India is a huge country with lots of different food. There’s food in one part of India that would be seen shit in another. Don’t think you’ve experienced Indian food just because you’ve been to India. There is no India. It’s not like here. It’s fucking massive and diverse.

You’re not really seeing the point I’m making… which is when Europeans take culture from former colonial countries it’s more sensitive than you could understand. I may be doing you a disservice… are you of Indian or Jamaican descent (or another former colony)?

2 Likes

…uhm not so sure Fatso, The Italians I am sure just laugh at the shitty Dominos Pizza…, What about the original ‘Hamburger’, a bit fat pork an beef minced thing from Northern Germany…

Thing is this ain’t about being ‘PC got mad’ but just reality that culture evolves because we DO mix it up - sometimes the outcome is shitty, sometimes its greater… all those dishes started as something else and evolved into what they are and will continue to evolve at a quicker pace because of international travel and a culture that is more willing to try new things and interpret them in our own way… being precious about it is like doing a Canute.

What is more important is just being respectful of the origins, acknowledge what you have taken and adapted… and where from… imho like

I appreciate that some might be more sensitive than others about it because of past colonisation… but we do have to slowly move on and the best way we do that is cultures integrate…

Funnily enough I could argue that you are doing me an absolutely massive disservice as I have an Irish heritage (& a tenuous cacker one as per other thread) - Am I allowed to say Ireland was a British colony or is it a bit too white so not allowed? My paternal grand parents definitely believed the British were colonising scum and wholly responsible for the death and diaspora of millions.

I hate all that Guinness/ leprechaun/ craic shite that everyone buys into btw. The food ain’t much better, so feel free to suggest improvements - jerk irish stew maybe?

Anyway, you’re talking cultural sensitivities. On the assumption that you are not descend from a previous colonial past what really makes you an expert to pontificate on other cultural sensitivities? (Apart from it’s open season for it on the inter web).

Mapotasi has put it more eloquently than me.

Not having a dig btw.

I did stay out of this thread fur a long time and have said that i really dont give a shit about it.

Im second generation immigrant from former colony.

1 Like

And good for you, and I’m saying that positively.

Britain is historically a country full of immigrants and their offspring - you and me both then.*

Shame the media continues with the myth that to be British you need to have a pure unadulterated lineage such as Boris has oh, wait!

*I’d add in Bletch but he might be going “home” now the caravans have turned up at his gaff

Lots of Indian restaurants are run by Bangladeshis and loads of Italians are run by Greeks because there isn’t any money in Greek restaurants. Margaritas in Southampton was one example. In fact Picolo mondo in town is not owned by Italians as well.

There is also that Piti Piri place below bar whose owners don’t look particularly Portuguese.

1 Like
5 Likes

So in a multi cultural society I can’t sell Jerk Chicken. So equally a French Chef cannot sell Roast Beef.
What next, will I be locked up next time I serve South African steak to mates?
My favourite and long gone Indian in Salisbury- The Asia - was owned and managed by Pakistanis. Should they now be attacked by the Twitterati?

Terrible terrible insult to the Irish???

Aren’t there more important things to think about than the name of a bit of nosebag? In my life, yes, so i really couldn’t give a fuck about the name for some overpriced rice.