:covid_19: đŸ˜· đŸ„ Corona Virus the thread for all your fears ❓

From the BBC :-

The use of face masks among young people has fallen since restrictions were eased in England on 19 July, a new poll suggests.

The YouGov survey found 46% of 18 to 24-year-olds said they wore a face mask in a public place in the last two weeks, compared to 58% on 16 July and 64% on 2 June.

Meanwhile, the survey of 1,742 British adults, which was carried out between 21-22 July, found other age groups were still wearing face coverings at around the same rate.

Some 69% of all Britons say they wore a face mask in the last two weeks, compared to 71% on 16 July and 73% on 2 June.

Since 19 July, face masks have no longer been legally required in England, although government guidance says it “expects and recommends” people to wear them in crowded areas like public transport. Some transport providers, including Transport for London, still require passengers to wear face coverings to travel.

Meanwhile, the proportion of Britons thinking the government is handling Covid-19 well fell from 41% just before 19 July to 34% afterwards.

1 Like

So a shop update. After having visited the Smithdown Road ASDA and reported a low prevalence of mask wearing, I can report a different experience from the visit to the posh TESCO on Mather Avenue.

Most people were wearing masks except for younger people and the shop staff. I really don’t blame the latter. The peeps at the self-service checkouts looked more like the security blokes there to pick up the cash than shop workers.

“Posh Tesco”.

Oxymoron.

2 Likes

Had he said “posher Tesco” he would have been on the money

I find the best judge is whether they stock the full finest range, or cram the shelves with ‘Value’ beans
 Shopping can be so vexing at times when one cant find decent dried ceps

1 Like

Nope. In the pantheon of local TESCOs, Mather Avenue is particularly posh. Get yourself out to Deysbrook Barracks and you’ll see what I mean.

It’s all in and around Liverpool so I’m likely to get beaten or raped whichever Tesco I go to.

2 Likes

You’ve lived in the country too long. Carry on like this and you’ll be using your idle hours to track and murder “outsider city types”.

Take the silver corn cob out of your arse.

Solar.
Yesterday Outlet Mall Braintree I’d guess 2/3 wearing masks.
Just now in Debden Lidl, me & Daughter only ones also only English speakers in shop - Spanish, Greek, French etc.
Odd but seems to be localised

B&Q nursing - back on DIY stuff so at the moment going through the standard several trips a day.
Very few wearing masks, no one using disinfectant spray on trolleys or using hand sanitiser - only folk I saw doing both was me and a woman behind me.
No one seems to have any idea of keeping distant from you, but then again that was the case before things were relaxed.
I tend to swerve away and dodge anyone looking about 20 to 40, as I see them as the next batch of infection stats

2 Likes

An interesting point in time between Neil Ferguson’s nonsense forecasts and Nature.

Is the virus cyclic? Does it burst out in a new variant then fade away?
Is it Sunny weather & being outside with UV light?

When everyone had masks on it was near impossible to maintain distancing in shops anyway, because it interferes so badly with spatial awareness. I found that all the time, either people were bumping into me or vice versa.

Interesting article in the Telegraph today questioning the accuracy of the Covid hospital admission numbers. Last Thurs it seems on 44% of admissions counted as Covid had a positive test before admission. Many others were asymptomatic and being admitted for something else, and a further number caught it there.

1 Like

You’re only supposed to cover your nose and mouth, not your eyes too.

3 Likes

Is the South getting their turn of the delta variety - cases are falling but more and more people I know are getting it

Possibly

1 Like

Spectacle-ist. :rage::rage::rage:

Regardless of direct vision, it interferes with spatial awareness by impeding peripheral vision and to a lesser extent sound perception. Smartarse :smile::smile:

I have the same App and Test Valley has 758 active cases which is up 130 from last week.

Oooh the numbers of cases have fallen again!

Yeah, that will be a great comfort to the families of 131 people reported dead today. Only 131 :rage:

1 Like

428 cases in last 7 days in Elmbridge down 136 on last week.

9485 cases to 27 July and 300 deaths ( surprisingly low imho)

81% adult vaccination rate.

Will be interesting to see the infection rates in a few days time.