:covid_19: šŸ˜· šŸ„ Corona Virus the thread for all your fears ā“

It is becoming an epic example of sluggishness.
Even here, the consensus with locals is AZ should tell EU to do one

AZ have released the redacted contract presumably to avoid getting the shaft by the EU

Looks like it doesnā€™t help either side

The UK factories are included in the manufacturing sites and apparently the EU contract cannot be superseded by another - but I cannot see that from the contract

In AZ favour the contract says they will make ā€œbest reasonable effortsā€ to fulfil - that is even more watered down than ā€œbest effortsā€ so the EU mights struggle here

My neighbour opposite is the biggest pro EU person who could imagine to meet, lovely bloke, even he has to concede the UK has bested the EU on this occasion and theyā€™re being about it.

Moderna now told the EU to expect 25% less doses that promised

France are stopping new vaccinations to concentrate supplyā€™s for 2nd doses

Hungary have broken ranks and are buying Sputnik 5

This is a bit of mis-direction by our dear Kate there, as the key point is almost lost as she likes to use the inclusive ā€˜weā€™ in there, which in my obviously cynical POV looks like she wants a share of the creditā€¦

The reality is that it was the BIA (The BioIndustry Association) that convening in February last year to ramp up manufacturing capability and capacity. But its aim was not to give ā€˜UK folksā€™ more guaranteed access, but to ensure global supply capability.

Kate and the Vaccine Task Force did not go live until Mayā€¦ some would argue rather late in the day, and even as late as November 2020, only one of its objectives was UK supply, the rest was global supply and the set up of a permanent research and manufacturing capability to provide global service for ongoing and future pandemicsā€¦ a commercial decision

Its only since we have the supply shortage that she now seems to be presenting this as some sort of foresightā€¦

ā€¦ as mentioned yesterday, there will be a big influence of commercial reality and consideration of who they want to piss off leastā€¦

ā€¦sadly if there are legal disputes, it will simply delay distributionā€¦ ultimately they should do arbitration would most likely resolve in these situations, that both contracts are honoured and supply is aligned to a percentage of the ordersā€¦

The UK has done a lot wrong throughout the last 12 months, but it is hard to argue that we havenā€™t done well on vaccines - we have made a lot of big bets, far more that most countries and that has paid off

You note I said ā€œweā€ but I didnā€™t mean me. Just a figure of speech - I am not trying to share the credit to the vaccine programme

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: :desert_island: Barry Island - Home of the Whopper :hamburger:

I donā€™t know enough legally to be able to comment on which contract would take precedence

If one contract has a legally binding commitment, can that be overridden by a contract that has a best reasonable efforts clause in?

One down side for AZ - the governing law in Belgium

A post was merged into an existing topic: :desert_island: Barry Island - Home of the Whopper :hamburger:

@CB-Saint
I am not disputing the fact that we have taken ā€˜big betsā€™, I simply find the whole, ā€˜ourā€™ vaccines thing a bit distasteful. It should come down to greatest need, not legal contractual disputes etcā€¦ All the vaccines have been developed through international cooperation and are being manufactured globally under license to maximise local accessā€¦ but what if AZ had failed and we were in desperate need of vaccines manufactured elsewhere? Was if factories in the UK had problems?

Would I feel comfortable being vaccinated as say a 40 year old, whilst millions of 80 year olds are still unable to get it? Would our judgement on this be different if it was under 10s that were most vulnerable (as already posted earlier)? If this happens because of the contracts or by luck (which factories have issues etc) is anyone really that comfortable with the jingoism of ā€˜ourā€™ vaccines?

Ultimately as doctors take the Hippocratic oath to treat based on need irrespective anything else, as a global pandemic, surely we should be doing the same?

You appear to concerned for the EU not its citizens, I havenā€™t seen you concerned for the citizens or Burma, Burundi or Burkina Faso and the poorest nations getting their shots, there is no real fair way to do it, Iā€™d love to see one.

They donā€™t buy the drugs though do they?

They administer them.

The hippocratic oath has nothing to do with it.

because English are more valuable than others? Maybe I could are you including the Welsh or is it only certain English people who should be prioritised? What about EU nationals who live here?

You obviously donā€™t get analogyā€¦

They are here so of course they can get it, what are you blathering on about.

I used English to emphasise a point, my point.

I didnā€™t get the flu shot son this time round but like that comment it has fuck all to do with anything.

How is it more unfair if a British person dies versus a non-Brit?

I am posing a moral question based on the simple fact that vaccine supply may come down to contactual dispute or manufacturing issues

The contractual dispute is at the root of this discussion hence the focus. The moral question applies globally, and you missed/ignored the post where that was highlighted

The principle of treat all at need is what this is aboutā€¦ and ideally based on greatest need firstā€¦

so are English people more deserving irrespective of need?

(Not sure why this now shows as a rep to Slowyā€¦ all seems to have become a bit messed up ā€¦ )

It isnā€™t, there isnā€™t a fair way to do this, weā€™re not hoarding it, we ordered it, obviously if the courts decide otherwise weā€™d should honour that decision.

Oh so youā€™re Socrates now, sitting on the fence posing such philosophical as this? Bollocks.

Deflection.

Who has the greatest need? An 80 year old here or one in France? National interests will always come first hence how wank the EU really is in times of trouble. Germany buttfucking Greece?

Not all all, the people who are in England will be deserving of it like the UK if the Government are found to have been ahead of the game as such, that should be applauded not picked apart in your proxy argument.

Must do better.

Another vaccine milestone but some months away from availability

2 Likes