:covid_19: šŸ˜· šŸ„ Corona Virus the thread for all your fears ā“

Way lander is that man to the in depth stuff - what I know is that you need two shots of it, itā€™s easy to store and distribute and itā€™s cheap as chips

And the EU want our supply

1 Like

Fixed. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s bad form. Itā€™s one thing to compete for orders, quite another to demand that a private corporation doesnā€™t honour a sale.

Will all depend on who has the most water tight contractā€¦ Also global companies like AZ sell more product at higher prizes in US and EU than in the UKā€¦ so its not going to be a matter of who signed first, but a commercial decisionā€¦

Iā€™m sure we can tie up the export to the EU in red tape for as long as we want. Seem to be making a good fist of it with our fish.

2 Likes

Trad vaccine I would take to be killed or weakened virus. The AZ vaccine uses an inactivated chimpanzee adenovirus (cold virus) that delivers a protein sequence of the Coranvirus spike protein. So while is it not as new tech as the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer, Modena) it is certainly not trad.

5 Likes

I am inclined to think that AZā€™s commercial lawyers are probably sharper than those of the EU. They will have drafted hundredā€™s of ā€œbest effortā€ supply contracts.

4 Likes

But its made in 20+ Countries and not sure how much and from where we are expecting our batches

Uhmā€¦ not so sure (As a market access consultant :wink: ) The UK is such a crap market given pricing levels and more challenging reimbursement recommendations than the big EU marketsā€¦ we may find our supply ā€˜drying upā€™ā€¦ in favour of more favourable markets for the rest of there portfolio?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the AZ Vaccine, itā€™s perfectly safe, this is a selfie shortly after I had itā€¦

1 Like

Before the punchiline, genuine thanks for the info. Your input here has been fascinating.

That said, Iā€™ve just checked potential side effects :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt that - AZ are supplying at no profit
https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

Read of this what you will

2 factories in the UK have ramped up productons, 2 factoris in Belgium and Netherlands are having ā€œteething issuesā€ but expect to ramp up production.

The EU want the vaccines that have been made in the UKā€¦

Beat you to itā€¦

1 Like

There is no profit in the AZ vaccine - price may vary slightly due to local costs

The EU have screwed it up - they ordered late, asked if they could have the same roll out as the UK. AZ said we will have a go but no guarantees - hence the best efforts clause

The UK got in first, so we were able to get contractual guarantees

A proper Politician would say yes.
Providing you take some fish with each shipment

4 Likes

And they havenā€™t even approved it yetā€¦

People often do, @BTripz. Old age.

But yes, file under life imitating art. The new movies are actually a much better fit for this scenario, btw.

1 Like

Its what EU technology local tech assessors such as the HAS in France, and IQWIG/ G-BA in Germany etc may do with other productsā€¦ its not something that is often talked about but company reputation (and supply chain and fulfilment play a huge role in that) play a big role in access and pricing negotiations ā€¦ if AZ ā€˜disappointā€™ the EU, these agencies will rememberā€¦ sounds far fetched, but plenty of examplesā€¦

Get our 100m sorted and then invite them to have a chat about our access to the financial services markets - they could do it in one of the AZ stock room, surrounded by millions of spare vaccines as a hint