One of the things that attracted me to Discourse was its concepts of Trust Levels that define what permissions you have on the forum.
Everyone starts off as Trust Level 0 and as you contribute, stay around, read, like, get liked, etc. so you move up the levels. And all of this is handled by Discourse without any of the Mods having to do a thing.
So, like a proud parent, I was chuffed to see the following @trust_level_3 users all having been promoted to Trust Level 3 - just by being good forum citizens.
There are a few in here that don’t contribute much but got Trust Level 3 as they are on @TheSoviet, but outside of those, congratulations all!
What did we have to do to get to Trust Level 3, Beltch?
Glad you asked, to get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days…
- must have visited at least 50% of days
- must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
- of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
- must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
- must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
- must not have been suspended
What can we do as Trust Level 3 users, Beltch?
Glad you asked again. Users at trust level 3 can…
- recategorize and rename topics
- access a secure category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
- have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
- TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
- TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
- make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
- Daily like limit increased by 2×
Remember, Power Corrupts - Use it Wisely!
Trust Level 3 users can now do various housekeeping jobs, but don’t do them pissed! OK, @Fatso.
Also, remember that what goes up must come down. If you don’t contribute at the same level, Discourse may move you back down to Trust Level 2 so stay active.
Seriously, as weird and geeky as this might seem, it’s made my day.