šŸ˜† Comedy genius

3 Likes
1 Like

Am I alone in finding ricky gervais quite alarmingly grating? I never did get The Office, found most of his observational stand up pretty trite, quite liked An Idiot Abroad briefly but that got very stale very quickly, and his infamous mong impressions on soshal meeja rather appalled me (and I speak as someone not exactly known for my insistence on tasteful politeness in comedy.)

1 Like

Probably not alone. Iā€™d say half of Hollywood agrees with you :smiley:

1 Like

Canā€™t stand the bloke personally, donā€™t find him funny either

2 Likes

Have seen him do his stand up and really not a fan. Sat through a lot of his shows.

1 Like

Heā€™s a relatively local boy done good. I remember first seeing him on The 11 Oā€™Clock Show, thinking at the time that Ali G was going to be a hard act to follow.

Thought the Office was often hilarious, often excruciating, too often very true to life. Also loved Extras.

I suspect what I most like about him is what most of you donā€™t like about him. His rudeness. There is no denying it. Heā€™s a ruthlessly rude bastard that pillories everyone and that takes some fucking balls.

He also spends the vast majority of the time punching up. The ordinary folk of The Office are the heroes, not the twatty managers. All the Extras, as ridiculous as they can be themselves, are nothing compared to the swipe at luvvie culture.

He divides opinion, has written some truly decent stuff and still is pretty much the same rude cunt that turned up on the 11 o Clock show, back in the day.

That is not bad for a lad from Reading.

1 Like

More love for Matt Berry.

3 Likes

Bloody love Matt Berry. So much we even saw him do his live music.

2 Likes

Used to watch this show as a kid. Very uneven. Brilliant in places, but poor in others. Thanks to the YouTube age, we can have nice best of compilations without the shit.

I am sure that as theyā€™re alumni of Not the Nine O Clock news, @PhilippineSaint will enjoy this.

1 Like

Some love for Graham Lineham, who features in this clip.

3 Likes

I wonder how many careers this destroyed. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s funnier. The content, or the willingness of celebrities to say anything.

1 Like

This is a great interview with Morris.

4 Likes

I just dug this out. Chris Morris announcing the death of Jimmy Saville on Radio1, Boxing Day 1994. Apparently Saville tried suing the BBC because ā€œit ruined my Christmasā€. Worth a listen.

2 Likes

This should be Sotonians theme tune.

1 Like

Former saints man Bevis Mugabi has put himself forward for a comedy genius award

I love me some Peter Serafinowicz. This is an overlooked gem of a show, imo. Wrote it with his brother.

2 Likes