:pl: :burnleyfc: Burnley v Saints :saints:

Glass is mainly empty like my fridge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can see an amazing improvement. We are playing with a system and the players know what their roles are.
However, having thought about it, I foresee a problem.
The players are focusing on the system and playing passes to where the system says they should be played. The wind, rain and sheer awkwardness of Burnley meant that those passes often went astray OR were simply poorly hit.
As a result, we looked unnatural. Almost Puelesque in playing and thinking about a system rather than expressing ourselves on the ball.
Apart from some efforts by Redmond, creativity was squeezed out of us.
It was turgid.
Now. Iā€™m not melting down, because it is a work in progress. The lesson I hope Ralph learned today is that he cannot replace PASSION with a system.
Against better teams the system will work better.
But, as we all know we need quality alongside the developing Bednarek & Valery.
What a horrific trip for so many, and what a bursting of the bubble.
At least Norwich showed some fight & passion last night.
We gave up & I think the players threw their toys out the pram

Iā€™m twisted, thereā€™s 20 people inmy house loving it and I am on here you cunts.

2 Likes

Thought we were the better team, but again, we seem to have problems with our scoring of goals.

The normal start to the season it is then.

2 Likes

because weā€™re weak southern cunts.

The weekly post award for #sfcjingoism goes to this poster.

I think you need to look up the meaning of ā€˜jingoismā€™ baz, that post is equally positive as it is negative.

Its meant as a moderate slight not as an exact, call it biased bollocks then.

Thats pretty hard to agree with donā€™t you think?

Why donā€™t you ask Kevā€™s opinion as to why he thought we were the better team and open up discussion?

1 Like

Why do you think we weā€™re the better team, for me it was 50/50 first half and all theirs the 2nd, we couldnā€™t cope with the high balls which negated and meant our midfield was made irrelevant.
Our defence hasnā€™t improved and these are the type of games we need to get something from, or at the very least we need to be in with a shout, we werenā€™t.

2 Likes

HOUSE!
I claim my prize in the weekly Bazza-buzzword Bingo.

1 Like

Least weā€™re above chelsea

2 Likes

We did indeed bump into each other at Ministry of Ale. Mobbed up our crews together and strolled through Burnley unchallenged towards the next pub, only to get seperated enroute when Letsbeā€™s crew of well honed and healthy eating crew decided to stop at a chippy! My crew marched on ā€¦ got lost and ended up at The Cricket Ground which was to have been our final port of call pre match!!

4 Likes

We steamed in regardless to The Bridge Bier House (which I had directed you to) and drank proper ale and saw the City VAR show.

1 Like

Slow-starting Southampton

Southampton made a slow start to their Premier League campaign as they were beaten 3-0 by Burnley at Turf Moor. But it should come as no surprise for Saints fans as they have not won their opening league fixture since 2013-14 when they beat West Brom 1-0.

In fact, Southampton have a miserable opening Premier League weekend record with only two wins in 21 attempts - a winning return of 9.6%.

• tight game for an hour
  • wind was against us second half and they started playing longer balls.
  • lost way we wanted to play after 1st goal

I personally thought we played the better football and looked very good in possession, but again lack cutting edge. In 12 minutes, they showed cutting edge, so I suppose if it comes down to winning games, which it is, then they were the better team.

We were also the much better team in the EDL cup final, and the much better team in the second half, and still lost.

Many times over the last 2.5/3 seasons we have been the better team and lost or at least not won. I cannot put my finger on why, but the stats back this up, with our 483 shots last season giving us only 45 goals, with a conversion rate of just 9.3%.

We should be winning more games with the chances we create. Again in the Burnley game we had more of the ball and more shots, but lost, not just by 1, but 3 goals to 0.

Weā€™ve been saying we should be winning more games for the last 3 managers and 3 years, it tedious and as excuses go it wore thin 2 years ago.
Either we have a crap team or we donā€™t, we have a crap defence thats for sure.

Itā€™s bloody strange and annoying. We are creating the chances of a top 6 side, but not converting them. For me the team play well, they play the right way, easy on the eye, passing is good, and most of the time good to watch with a good tempo (ok not every game, but we try and do things the right way). We are even creating chances, plenty of them, but why not converting them. Are we really that unlucky? Itā€™s not as though we have not had decent strikers at this level in the last 3 years. Iā€™ve looked at our forward line and wondered why we have a problem in front of goal. But it has not been as good since we lost Pelle and of course Mane.

So its not the players, its not the style of football, nor the manager? What is it? There is an answer there, I can tell you if you want?