:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Not really.

This is closer to the mark on that score.

Can someone interpret the chart from that article for me?

Hereā€™s the version of the chart from the ONS site.

Doesnā€™t it seem to show that migration from outside the EU has increased by more than the reduction in net migration with the EU?

I could be wrong but thatā€™s how Iā€™m seeing it.

Anyone working here from outside the EU has to be on a Tier 2 visa at least, and that involves doing mid-skilled work in professions that are short on staff. Nurses, dispensers, that sort of thing.

It requires paperwork, and now costs anything other than small firms a grand a year, per head, due to the Immigration Skill Charge.

Practically, this means that rest of the world peeps canā€™t come here for unskilled work, or skilled work in sectors in which we arenā€™t acutely short on workers.

The majority of EU workers in this country do unskilled work, much like the majority of UK workers do. Take EU supply out of the equation, and demand for the remaining commodity is going to increase.

1 Like

Always good to see the poorest gain more in wagesā€¦ but I will wait and see what impact this wage inflation has onā€¦inflation and also as goods and services increase in cost, whether such wage increases actually improve standards of livingā€¦ There is currently a shortfall in low and medium skilled labourā€¦ but I am more concerned that within the next 24 months the economic impact will see a recession and shrinkage of the labour market with the resultant surplus of low and and medium skilled ā€˜pushing down wagesā€™ā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah, I see that and what you say makes sense.

And I can see that as employers would have to pay ~Ā£360-Ā£1000 to employ them for 12 months and (~Ā£180-Ā£500 for each additional 6 months), theyā€™d probably have to be in areas of skill shortage.

I wonder what will stop businesses from paying the skills charge to non-EU workers instead of increasing the wages of UK applicants?

Or is that what they are doing to make up for the shortfall in EU nationals?

Because, as much as the chart shows labour movement (as opposed to non-working people migrating) it could be viewed that we are simply turning to the rest of the world for our labour instead of the EU and that, whilst initially net migration fell after the referendum as EU nationals didnā€™t come here, it hit a sharp up-tick as migrants from outside the EU have replaced the drop in EU nationals - such that since early 2017 net migration is actually increasing.

Whatever the explanation that is an unusal trend, but Iā€™d recognise that I might be seeing a corrolation that isnā€™t there.

2 Likes

Lol-a-lot.

This is so well done it surely has some official Remain campaign money behind it.

8 Likes

that is brilliant

1 Like

ā€œplease I have a childā€
Couldnā€™t have been anyone elsešŸ˜‚

5 Likes

Who cares who made it

:lou_lol:

Made me chuckle

If only youā€™d pick fruitā€¦

1 Like

3 Likes

Donā€™t think youā€™ll find many fruit farms in that there London to be fair.

1 Like

For that point to work, you kind of have to make a big leap.

And that leap is that the British people want the same things as the British government.

Unfortunately, jumpers had that notion cut off at the knees on June 23rd, 2016.

Can you explain more clearly what you mean Pap. I read what you say but donā€™t know what you are really saying.

(Itā€™s not a dig at you by the way).

Yeah, no probs, @Cobham-Saint.

David Cameronā€™s government was so sure that the British people were going to vote Remain that no effort was made for a Leave outcome. He specifically forbade the civil service from doing so, so sure he was of achieving a vote to Remain.

He took our votes for granted. The British government of that day indisputably wanted to Remain. The British electorate of that day voted Leave.

So Ken Clarke may be ā€œon the moneyā€ when he says that no British government had ever had its opposition unheard.

But he fails to mention that the electorate had no chance to make their opposition heard for over forty years, and when they did, they rejected it.

2 Likes

Gotcha.

Ta @pap makes sense to me now - cheers.

A story. It is cyclical.

All the GCC Nations rely on Migrant Labour. Outside of the ā€œUnskilledā€ section for the moment, they have people like me & Eric who do stuff that is either technical or needs a level of experience or skill.

Every few years different countries implement a localisation programme and many skilled people leave. Recently this leaving has accelerated. Massive redundancies of higher level management in Oil Gas Banking and Retail.

Now, every time this happened in the past, there were three effects, the locals lacked the experience and mistakes were made (especially in 2006-8 in Banking) the second effect was that where there were skill gaps, much younger graduates were recruited (we call them MBAā€™s) no experience, sharing 6 people to one room etc. And amazingly, the economy saw a DOWNTURN. Why? Because those higher earners were gone, and none of the locals went to restaurants bars clubs Malls etc. So commercial activity fell off.
In each of the previous cycles, the MBAā€™s climbed off the floor, tourism replaced some of the lost economics.

About 3 years ago we started a new cycle, but this time besides the redundancies we saw a number of major blows.
The dispute with Qatar impacting on trade. The imposition of VAT (which allowed retailers to over inflate price rises) the trrade squeeze (eg a loss of major export market. almost flattened economic activity here.
This time around, SO many people just left voluntarily. One bank alone has a HUGE number of loan defaults sucking liquidity out of the system.

So a loss of skilled and experienced labour, replaced by cheaper staff with zero disposable income. And locals who will not take on unskilled work. Coupled with a loss of trade.

Which is actually a small scale model of what could happen in the UK.
Brits in general have not wanted to do unskilled work. Now they will have to. Will the productivity of an undereducated 17 year old school leaver in hospitality equal that of a motivated EU citizen?

Multi-Natioinals will have to move support staff to the maret they operate in - you have seen that with Banks moving jobs - those people are good SPENDERS - let alone tax payers.

Overall we now see the adjustment, firms ARE trying to find experienced staff (at last) but their cost of labour has risen. SO they HAVE to recoup that with increased prices which causes more inflation so we all stay in watching Netflix and shop at the Outlet Mall not Dubai Mall.

We donā€™t have Stagflation (the Government ARE implementing as many measures as possible to keep things moving forwards) but we have had a rough 18 months.

Personally, i can see a similar pattern happening in UK. Yes you will lose EU labour and wages will rise. But then you will not want to pay the new prices and so will cut back and (a PERCENTAGE) of higher skilled/paid jobs will become EU based which again will reduce internal economic activity (let alone revenue collections)

You arenā€™t dead yet, and the Government will need to take SOME action to help capitalism manage the economy :roll_eyes: but then I doubt they will even notice.

It isnā€™t ONLY about a Brit earning 75p an hour more next March. Iā€™ve seen it on a small scale. Disposable income (and debt servicing for you lot) will be as key as how many ā€œEastern Europeanā€™sā€ Tommy Robinson has sent home

This type of thing wonā€™t help

Not quite - letā€™s not do a Trumpvision on this - the 17mil that voted leave did not want the same as the British Government is more accurateā€¦ whether that is the 'will ā€™ of the people debateable ā€¦ itā€™s the problem with things like the ā€˜will of the peopleā€™ if shouted often enough folks hope it will stick and becomes accepted as the truth when itā€™s just another Roger the Cabin Boy

Although this has to be expected, so many properties were purchased by overseas investors looking to park their money in safe assets. I recall many stories about how those properties were almost Zombie units - investors did not need tenants as they capital gains were enough for them and a better rate than they could get elsewhere in Stocks and Bonds.

When you look at the percentage drops it seems it is more those that are taking a pounding. And some would say serves them right PLUS it gives more property back on the market to people who may actually live in the community.

Hell, there may even be some people living in the area so they might even go to the shopsā€¦

Brexit Conflicting Statistics at every turn