:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Look into it a bit more, it’s there.
Alternatively we could believe everything.
images(38)

Those things really do depend on who’s doing the negotiating. With Theresa May at the helm, I very much doubt it. Her heart was never in it, and if her Chequers proposal is anything to go by, we’ll end up in a worse situation than a hard Brexit or remaining in the UK.

If she’d had the backbone to threaten withdrawal from Lisbon before invoking Article 50, then she might have been able to invoke A50 having some things agreed.

As it was, she simply put the ball in the EU’s court, particularly with the folk here that want Vichy Britain on her case.

And you photo tops his Guardian article, does it?

Fess up man. You were caught spinning unsubstantiated bollocks. The opposite of what you claimed was substantiated.

Where would you suggest we look? The SoS Fantasy Cupboard of Wonder?

It may not have been a link to an article, might just have been a quote and after a quick look, not even sure which thread it would have been in, as there seems to be a few relevant ones at the time. You’ll find it, if you really want too.
Don’t believe this was it, but you’ll get the general idea.

“My advice as European negotiator was that this was the moment of key leverage and that if you wanted to avoid being screwed in negotiations in terms of the sequencing, if I can put it brutally, you had to negotiate with the key European leaders and the key people at the top of the institutions and say ‘I will invoke Article 50 but only under circumstances where I know exactly how it’s going to operate and it’s got to operate like this otherwise this is not going work for me.’”

Obviously only a typical sample, but interesting perspective - although BBC so probably wont be believed…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45098550

Wasn’t that pretty much the same demographic as for the original vote?

IIRC the youth didn’t bother voting (for whatever reason) so the “older” generations vote won the day.

Pretty much, They are saying the poll is 52%:48% in remains favour, although that probably fails to take into account that 50% of the young in that poll said that they might not bother voting in a second referendum, so the vote would probably be 52%:48% Leave again.

Does anyone know where the world’s smallest violin is? I’m motivated to play :violin:

And how many UK nationals remain out of work regardless?

Hmm, maybe @Pap was right about wages going up

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said the number of applicants per vacancy had fallen since last summer across all levels of skilled jobs, and said shortages were forcing many companies to raise wages.

1 Like

How about all the unskilled?
Still picking fruit?
The biggest drop seems to be in what they describe as medium skilled jobs. Is that people like nurses?

Respondents said they received an average of 20 applicants for the last low-skilled vacancy they tried to fill, compared to 24 in summer 2017 and 25 in autumn 2015.

This would suggest it is across the board

1 Like

Yeah, seen that, but medium skilled went from 19 to 10 if i remember correctly, so that’s the level that should see the largest and quickest increase in wages.
I’m still not sure who they class as medium skilled. Seems a vague definition. Anyone know?

Typically a low skilled worker can be productive on the job within two weeks of starting full time. A worker at a fast food restaurant, for example, can learn their job quickly if good training materials and guidance are available.

A medium skilled worker can be productive with less than a year of specialized training: Aircraft mechanic, for example, but will be expected to continue to grow in skill as time goes on. A chef, a CPC programmer, a hairdresser, an IT administrator, all are medium skill jobs.

3 Likes

Cheers CB.
So probably not nurses, but definitely support staff and carers. Be good for them to get a bit more.

1 Like

Yes, just as it will be good for everyone in a low paid job to get a bit more by their employers.

This malarkey of getting the taxpayer to foot the bill is krappenshite.

Certainly will. They are after all the people that keep everything working for the rest of us.
I would genuinely look forward to lots of articles about decent wages for the people that really keep things going.
Let’s see what happens to wages over the next couple of years.

I remain unemployed. Fuck the rest of you.

7 Likes

This is one of the benefits that I’ve been talking about for yonks. To me, it is no coincidence that we’ve had the lowest wage growth of 150 years since the accession of the Eastern European states, combined with the likes of Blair and Mandelson opening the doors immediately.

If they’d just have planned during the seven years available to them, I doubt British wages would have suffered so much or that we’d even be having this warm and lovely post-Leave vote discussion.

For the people eh@pap? For the people…fucking shite eh?