:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

We’re in the eye of the storm, Cherts. Out enough to suffer a loss in the pound’s value. In enough, so we all have to buy from EU markets.

Also, history tells us that a drop in available labour results in wages rising and employees being able to demand better terms.

I think it more reliable to look at past trends than big up a dystopian future unlikely to happen.

Keep 'em coming though.

See Pap, a drop in available labour seeing wages rise only holds true when looking at specific labour needs, in specific types of role eg classic supply and demand. In post Brexit Britain, we will lose jobs in many sectors as many international companies decide to relocate certain roles and many of their staff who currently pay tax and NI here (often at higher rates) head back to EU… Sadly, filing Costa and office cleaning roles with the British teenager is not going to kick start a post Brexit recovery… we still await your’s and Jeremy’s miracle plan to resurrect whole manufacturing industries to replace our lost service economy and create a surplus in our balance of trade… see IF this was really possible, you would win over most remainers (although I still like the ideology of less borders, not more), but I am not so naive as to believe in fairy stories no matter how appealing they may appear

3 Likes

Past trends… please provide some facts Pap, not broadly stretched opinion presented as facts… not sure we have previously been through such a Brexit, so not sure which trends you wish to apply…

1 Like

But a bigger drop in the number of jobs available means the opposite? Also, a lot of the jobs that are likely to be vacated are skilled, which aren’t going to just be taken by your average Jeremy Kyle guest.

Your GCSE, black and white interpretation of supply and demand within the labour market is pretty laughable.

1 Like

Ha, this is what I was trying to say but in a far more eloquent way.

Bit harsh. One term of A Level Economics, at least.

So you disagree with the premise of supply and demand, then?

Could you confirm, for the record, that you believe things get more expensive as they get more plentiful?

I just want your understanding of the concept laid out.
Even if it is at odds with the entirety of history .

I shall allow conferring among your fellow genius level pals.

Supply and demand. Go!

So hard Brexit? No deals?
So we’ve heard about no flying, but what about Ferries?
No deals remember.
So what about the cross channel comms cables? Will they work? What about your data roaming on holiday?
Hell, will you even be able to log in to the internet?

Oh dear - the concept of supply and demand is NOT as simple as your O level definition Pap. As you see above specific need generates demand and as such supply limitations increase that demand … that is indeed a simpl context I believe you have understood.

… however, with respect to wage increases, it really does depend on which sectors that demand is in…, I repeat filling the Costa Coffee slots et al with local unskilled labour does not increase demand - there is already plenty of available labour… it does also not kick start our manufacturing industries - again you ignore that point -

You also ignore that fact that there are strong indicators that influx of cheaper labour does lead to eventual wage inflation… but that is a more complex economic model that I don’t think you are ready for just yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’re also assuming that, on a simplistic level:

Number of people leaving UK > Jobs lost through Brexit

I would say this is a misplaced assumption.

1 Like

Not borne out by reports and pay packets, me ol’ fruit and nut.

https://www.ft.com/content/122b2c84-17fc-11e8-9e9c-25c814761640

I am sure there has been a 10% rise in basic… but suspect that in many cases the number of staff has been reduced… I doubt many small businesses will simply absorb a 10% wage increase without seeing 10% growth… and in most cases these small businesses are under pressure given the economic climate… expectation will be 9 do the work of 10 with a rage rise… But sadly these jobs tend to also be in the zero to very low taxation bands so even with a 10% increase there is no benefit to the treasury or or economy, as these folks will still be likely claiming the same levels of tax credits. Yes its is good news that many in low paid industries get an extra £10-15 a week, but this is not going to elevate them into a better standard of living… only major growth can do that and you have still failed to address that question… where is our growth going to come from… we await to be enlightened… so far you have offered no more than David Davies and his ridiculous ‘‘there will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside’’ without either of you offering anything tangible as to what this upside will look like or how it will be achieved…

It’s unfortunate that the poorest are getting above inflation pay rises, is it?

Do you even bother to read anything properly… Jeez.

What was that you recommended about thinking before responding?

2 Likes

No offence, papster, but when I think of the poorest in society, I don’t think of people in work.

Also, if any increase in income is swallowed up by the increasing cost of anything we import - due to a lower value pound then we’re all in trouble.

And if interest rates rise to combat any inflation caused by wage rises then anyone that has borrowings of any kind will be net poorer unless wage rises and savings interest outstrip the cost of interest rate rises, and if they do then interest rates might have to rise to limit inflation and so on.

I am not dealing in facts.

Nobody is.

We’re all guessing.

And how fucking risky is that?

3 Likes

Well, we’ll need 85,000 people to pick fruit. I suspect people will be falling over themselves to get down to the Eastern counties to do that. Yesterday they were building Qashqais in Sunderland, today they’re picking fruit in Suffolk. Excellent stuff.

2 Likes

Sky poll shows 50% in favour of referendum on the deal negotiated, 40% against and 10% undecided.

Surprised it’s as high as that to be honest.

May categorically against it.

1 Like

To be honest Bletch I don’t agree with referenda on any of the Brexit issues because even the ‘Deal’ will be a huge complex document and many including myself would probably not be qualified to may insightful analysis of all the economic nuances (nor have the time) - and again, it might provide us with the facts of the deal, but not the likely impact - on which we will have the same old disagreements on interpretation and opinion (often presented as fake facts)…

It would by necessity be simplified and summarised thus loosing the important details… its why we pay those elected to represent us to serve in public office and stand by their often difficult decisions and not hide behind ‘‘Its what the people want…’’

Would be interested in public opinion (not referenda) on a simple question should NO deal be reached - go ahead with no deal or ditch Brexit… and then see how the politicians fail to acknowledge the will of the people…

1 Like

Jeremy Hunt couldn’t even remember the nationality of his wife. I wouldn’t have so much faith in those who govern us having any greater understanding of the issues than the layman.

4 Likes

Actually, to be fair to Hunt, he may also have a Japanese wife that he just forgot to declare.

5 Likes