:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Vauxhall are part of the PSA Group.

Ah, well Opel is owned by PSA and Opel own Vauxhall so, in a roundabout way, yes.
So, is Bazza saying heā€™d be happy to see those factories and their associated supply chain close down? :confused:

So it would seem. :lou_eyes_to_sky:

Iā€™m telling you 100% its the get out the automotive industry wants long term in this country as the costs of labour, pensions and rights are too high.
Theyā€™ll be made up to go to Croatia, Turkey etc etc.

It will also lead to higher cost of new cars for the general public and that will lead to higher used car prices as more people will switch to used and higher demand will lead to higher prices

2 Likes

So much to unpick here, some subjects worthy of their own thread.

Loved @saintbletchā€™s post. Heā€™s right about elites profiting from seismic events, largely because theyā€™re already in the best position to profit from them. Iā€™ve no doubt that weā€™ll end up seeing some of our current Brexit Parliamentarians shoot off to the board of a chlorinated chicken supplier or whatever. That said, weā€™ve got enough Parliamentarians zooming off to cushy jobs as is.

Iā€™ve a lot of disagreement with @Map-Of-Tasmaniaā€™s claim that people didnā€™t see the big picture. If anything, I think seeing the big picture is why the public voted the way they did. They just didnā€™t see the picture AG does. Two years on, itā€™s fairly clear that apart from self-publicising morons like Tommy Robinson, we havenā€™t turned into a country full of racists. I also think you have to be arguing from a position of unjustified arrogance to say that you alone can see what is really going on, or that you alone know the motives or mental capacity of millions of people. The last point isnā€™t a specific dig at AG - I see people do the same on FB all the time, and theyā€™re genuinely not an inch closer to winning the argument.

My position remains the same. Itā€™s about democracy, and itā€™s about giving the British voter some say over policy areas that have been off the menu for four decades. As it goes, I wouldnā€™t be a massive defender of the way we practice democracy. Our governments rarely creep over 50% or the popular vote; the last time would have been Churchillā€™s Grand Coalition, and it hasnā€™t happened since.

The EU acting like a jilted, vengeful partner, hasnā€™t managed to convince me otherwise. The protestations of large corporations doesnā€™t sway me either, largely because I donā€™t subscribe to the ingrained slave notion that everyone must work, real plantation thinking there, that the super-rich would never subscribe to. Nor am I convinced by East Anglian farmers crying about the fact they cannot employ truckloads of folk from overseas to work on plantations of their own.

Why should the automotive industry care about higher prices? They donā€™t, they care about their shareholders.

You have missed the point completely about the bigger pictureā€¦ you are almost reciting word for word what Boris and his cultish clan knew folks like yourself would recite - This has never been about democracy, its a opportunistic power grab by some disenfranchised fuckcunt tories more obsessed by themselves without any regard for the impact of there glory chasingā€¦ that is what I mean by bigger picture. That and the fact that worrying about sovereignty is ultimately a waste of time if you are the king of the fucking desertā€¦ Gloating that 'we have not suddenly becomeā€¦ when we are still far away from being subjected to any real impact of Brexit is being a bit fucking premature in my bookā€¦ I will repeat, if given a democratic say on all aspects of our policy the British public would vote for the fucking death penaltyā€¦ Pap are you comfortable giving the British public a democratic say on everything no matter how ill judged or immoral or just selective questions that you happen to agree with the likely answer?

EDIT AG: Corrected sentence structure - but left original shit grammar

1 Like

But itā€™s not the manufactures that will suffer as they will still keep selling the cars just not as many in this country, it will be the people and the retailers who will be effected

3 Likes

If sales arenā€™t deeply affected they wonā€™t give a shite, German manufacturers on the other hand who subsidized their plants.

What about the German manufacturers @Barry-Sanchez ?

Theyā€™re shitting themselves about a no deal.

Aye because the likes of BMW invested Billions in Oxford to produce teh new mini here because we are part of the EUā€¦ post Brexit, such investment will be a thing of the pastā€¦ welcome to the new realityā€¦ but I am sure we will get some US manufacture to invest billions hereā€¦ because we all want their shit dont we

If anything, I think seeing the big picture is why the public voted the way they did. They just didnā€™t see the picture AG does. Two years on, itā€™s fairly clear that apart from self-publicising morons like Tommy Robinson, we havenā€™t turned into a country full of racists. I also think you have to be arguing from a position of unjustified arrogance to say that you alone can see what is really going on, or that you alone know the motives or mental capacity of millions of people.

This why people voted

I also think you have to be arguing from a position of unjustified arrogance to say that you alone can see what is really going on, or that you alone know the motives or mental capacity of millions of people

Itā€™s wrong to claim to know why people voted :joy:

Brilliant

1 Like

Is that irony?

3 Likes

God knows, but apparently entirely predictable responses (dismissed routinely as project fear) to evidently impossible requests is ā€˜punishmentā€™, itā€™s apparent that up is down and light is dark.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ireland saying that in the event of a no deal British aircraft will not be able to fly over Irish airspace.

As it happens Iā€™ve just sent off for form APS2 to get an Irish passport.

It turns out that as the son of someone born in Ireland I am already an Irish citizen. (I think).

But once Iā€™ve got my passport you Brits can keep out of my airspace.

Also, when we see things about EU states being vindictive, thereā€™s often more to it.

I have no doubt that some states will want to punish the UK but some are simply reflecting the changes they will face and perhaps taking a negotiation position over other issues.

Irish PM here saying that the airspace thing would simply parallel the UK withdrawing access to UK waters for Irish fishermen.

Is he punishing the UK? Perhaps.

Is he setting up a negotiating position? Iā€™d say so.

I was surprised to discover that the kids are talking about it at my sonā€™s school. How did I discover this? He came home the other day and immediately asked me if we had any Irish relatives. When I inquired why he wanted to know this it transpired he hopes to get an Irish passport.

2 Likes

I would also suggest that very positive progress made in NI was enabled by the soft or open borders of the EUā€¦ when people trade freely, work together across borders as colleagues as if the border is not there, it erodes prejudices and fearsā€¦ we see now how the prospect of a hard border in NI post Brexit is eroding a fragile peaceā€¦

Pap likes to recite the tabloid ā€˜project fearā€™ Monika as a unique campaign by Remianersā€¦ but years of bullshit and lies about immigration have fed fear into many who voted Brexitā€¦ despite there already being mechanisms in place to prevent claiming benefits if you have no job or not paid NI, etc yet how often were some brexiteers bemoaning the ā€˜immigrant benefitsā€™ ? - the numbers weee so low and insignificant yet bulshit spread was more true project fear - controlled by Boris with majority of the right wing media happy to provide free propaganda.

Surly even you pap with your staunch ā€˜principledā€™ stance on the issue must be at least a little suspicious of the Brexitā€™s aims given the cunts who led its campaign? Fuck it would have me worriedā€¦ but you seem stuck in the position that because Corbyn and others seem to have lost their collective balls to question the result (democracy has never been about what is right or about what is best for a country - just who can convince the majority to their will) no one should challenge the ā€˜democraticā€™ decision ā€¦

I will repeat my example used on many of my post on this issue which you have never responded toā€¦ would you be happy accepting the return of the death penalty because the 51% voted for it in a referendum? Would you be even more angry if this was held at a time post recent child murders?

The political climate, social challenges and the persistent scaremongering about immigration where the back drop to Brexit vote - yet despite this, you have joined those that say we should all just accept the democratic will of the people whatever the questionā€¦ the fact that a few braver politicians have been ridiculed for daring to challenge this ā€˜willā€™ is the real challenge to democracy