:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Out of interest, if we did have a second referendum and the outcome of that was Hard brexit, would the remainers accept that or would they continue to try and frustrate the process.

She actually speaks sense (for an MP)

In her article in the Times, she lambasted the PMā€™s Brexit blueprint, saying: "Weā€™ll be dragging Remain voters out of the EU for a deal that means still complying with many EU rules, but now with no say on shaping them.

"Itā€™s not what they want, and on top of that when they hear that Leave voters are unhappy, they ask, ā€˜Whatā€™s the point?ā€™

ā€œFor Leavers, this deal simply does not deliver the proper break from the European Union that they wanted.ā€

I always went on and on about true democracy only being possible when folks can make an informed choice - eg you know what you are going to get when you put your hand upā€¦ especially important for a ā€˜one offā€™ when its likely to be 30-40 years before you get another chance to ā€˜correctā€™ the previousā€¦ and therein lies the problem as even now we aint really got a scoobā€¦ so ideally we have elected politicians who do not see this as an ideological challenge, but one in which all pros and cons are neutrally evaluated with expert opinion (so fuck off Gove) and decisions made on what is BEST for this countryā€¦ not short term ( response to refugee crises and IS terror etc) but long term. EG. grown up discussions and solutions to immigration challenges dont, nor ever will require BREXIT in order to be resolvedā€¦ But when we have self interested cunts like Boris, et al who one day are champions of the EU, the next the biggest Breiteers when they see a vehicle for populist expansion of their own positions (knowing full well their own position and wealth will never be impacted either way) what chance does this country have?

Has it not been revealing that politicians from all sides who have NEVER given a flying fuck what people think, suddenly live in fear of ā€˜what the people wantā€™ irrespective of whether the ā€˜peopleā€™ ever had enough information to make an informed choice?

1 Like

I suspect she is just looking out for herself - Putney is a marginal seat that voted heavily to remain.

This was one of then interviews that prompted my post. It seems that our current course is such a compromise that it pleases neither side and tethers us to rules we canā€™t shape.

Politicians are divided and divided for political objectives. It strikes me that weā€™ll struggle to get something that would benefit the country if we leave it to the politicians.

1 Like

Nope, would continue to frustrate the hell out of it - wait for the kids to finish education and leave the UK* with a mighty ā€œFuck You! Enjoy!ā€ **

• to somewhere in Europe ***
    ** not You personally- obvs
    *** or maybe wherever that 2nd Irish passport takes me.

Trump said the other day that people (politicians) didnā€™t realise how difficult it would be to leave. That canā€™t be true, can it? Surely itā€™s obvious that it would be a nightmare. Itā€™s debatable that the fact that the current government seems unable to sort it out is wilful, just straight incompetence or that itā€™s actually impossible to get something that everyone is happy with.

My current suggestion is no more referendumsā€¦ Just leave, fuck everyone else and run the country like a hippy commune. Letā€™s all grow our own veg, make our own clothes and barter with each other. Fuck all big corporations, we donā€™t need them. Letā€™s live life thinking about our loved ones and the environment, make sure weā€™re all fed and happy and leave the rat race behind. Anyone who starts on about capitalism should be novochokedā€¦a death through nerve agent and an extreme sexual act, so that even those greedy cunts get to go out happy.

10 Likes

Your second paragraph is brilliant. I would make it both law and religious(all of them) text tomorrow. It is the only humane and plausible way to face the future.
Youā€™ve even considered the obvious reduction in numbers needed(60% should do it if weā€™re very very careful).
You do include all driving, flights and modern building in the never again list i hope, as getting rid of these would allow a limited electricity supply to all.
Block chain carbon credits for all, as the new currency, with none going to business or government. Now thatā€™s a bright future.

3 Likes

The official Brexit policy of the Monster Raving Loony Party is:
ā€˜In - out - shake it all aboutā€™.
Are they running the country now? I think we should be told.

2 Likes

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-parliament_uk_5b4dea88e4b0fd5c73bf17b2

2 Likes

The very worst thing about Brexit is that for cunts like Johnson and Rees-Moog, Gove et al, it was always about recognising an opportunity for powerā€¦ a scheming group of smart yet morally corrupt cunts exploiting peoples fears and concerns to position themselves as the 'saviours from those ā€˜bastards in Brusselsā€¦ā€™ - Smart enough to see the opportunity as the country struggles economically with food banks, and the teh general 'establishment backlash (and as with trump in the US, cleverly convincing the gullible that they are not part of itā€¦ jeez)

The smug victorious brexiteers may constantly remind me ā€˜it was democracyā€™ - the ā€˜voice of the peopleā€™ā€¦ it may have been, but dont ever be so fucking naive that those cunts above were not pulling the stringsā€¦ they saw the timing was right (like the majority that would vote for the death penalty after another hideous child molester and murderer is caught). Yet whilst with the death penalty, politicians seem (rightly) to disregard public opinion/reactionary decision making, Boris et al recognised that the threat of pulling support would force Camoronā€™s (sic) handā€¦

What makes me angry is that so many folks simply dont see that this is just one big political game for fuckers who will never be effected by itā€¦ Those fuckers make me sick when I see their smug cuntish brayingā€¦ How folks cant see through it is beyond me.

MOD EDIT: To get link to work better.

7 Likes

Amen brother

1 Like

When you look at where the real money in our country is, you can trace it back to the those real epoch-defining events - typically caused by religion, wars or technology.

Things like the reformation of the church, the civil war, the introduction of a ā€œpeopleā€™sā€ parliament, the invention of the compass, our domination of the seas and our determination that foreign people with different coloured skins could be owned by another human being - have all been sea-change events that have lost fortunes for some and created fortunes for others.

I long ago determined that for many in politics on the Brexit side, they see this as their chance to stake or influence trade routes and make their fortune - with no thought of the consequence for the less fortunate.

2 Likes

Its the nature of capitalismā€¦ BUT, if there is any good in it, then we can see improved services for the less fortunate through economic growth and improved taxation revenuesā€¦ The EU with all its capitalist challenges and corruption had one advantage over ā€˜going it aloneā€™ - We had a fucking aggressive media hell bent on pointing out those failings, whether shit about Straight bananas, or exposing excess of the commissionā€¦ reasonable checks and balancesā€¦ We now have a situation where 85% of our media are wedged up the arse of the brexiteers puppet mastersā€¦ who is going to expose the morally bankrupt and corrupt shit Boris and his cuntish cronies will deliver?

I am sure some believe that Corbyn et al will deliver us to the promised land, but whilst they are too scared to challenge and expose the shit Boris is unto for fear of ā€˜challengingā€™ the voice of the people - they have no chance. Because by accusing Boris of the power grabbing, he tells the gullible they are gullibleā€¦ Boris et al have played a fucking blinder and there is now fuck all anyone can do about itā€¦

2 Likes

Brutal display of ā€˜unityā€™.

Ha, moan, moan, moan.

1. Itā€™s taken 5 years to negotiate this deal. We can start when we leave the EU. Five years later, we might have a deal.
  2. There are transition arrangements in place for many industries which could be up to 15 years.
  3. If the EU want to punish us, why shouldnā€™t they. It is entirely their prerogative. Brexit means Brexit. If that means all our trade with the EU stagnates or diminishes, so be it. Weā€™ve got our borders back and thatā€™s all that matters.

Of course, the real threat here, which some people in the press have mentioned, is the car manufacturing industry in the UK. Currently, the UK makes just short of 900,000 Japanese cars. Sure, large parts of the supply chain are in other countries, but about 60% of the car supply chain is, surprisingly, based in the UK.

So, with tariffs applied to both the import and export of components as well as the finished products, and the now tariff-free status of Japanese cars, what reason is there for these manufacturers to continue making cars in Britain?

It wonā€™t happen instantly, but over time investment will fall off, factories will be mothballed or closed as models are phased out and it will be goodbye to Nissan (approx 510k cars made in Sunderland), goodbye to Honda (approx 140k cars made in Swindon), goodbye Toyota ( approx 200k cars made in that thriving cultural bastion of Derby).

Added to that, Opel has massive over-capacity in Europe. Governments have been lobbying hard to keep the factories open in their countries. We have two major factories in the UK at Luton and Ellesmere Port. They are kept open because they are the most efficient of that manufacturerā€™s plants in Europe but that efficiency gain will be wiped out by tariffs. So, probably bye bye Vauxhall.

4 Likes

Peugeot and Citroen, shite motors anyway.

I suppose you put those who build them in the same category thenā€¦are they not worthy of employment?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t think either were made in the UK.