:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

I just find the whole thing so amusing. I have a couple of relatives in the north who are arch brexiters and they are flooding Facebook with outrage about this.

Whatever you think of The Sun, they do have a knack of writing fantastic headlines. Sacre Bleu, indeed:

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t know, @bathsaint . Few outlets in this city stock the newspaper. I wouldnā€™t buy it if they did.

I wouldnā€™t wipe my arse with it, let alone praise the skill of their headline writers. ā€œThe Truthā€ didnā€™t go down too well, culturally or factually.

Some things are worth paying more for. Iā€™d happily pay that extra Ā£10-30 for a British passport made in Britain. I donā€™t want to be mistaken for a froggy when Iā€™m off to the costa brava. Thereā€™s something called national prideā€¦which it seems many of the leavers have forgotten about (ironically)

3 Likes

The BBC article also had a comments section which had more than a few rabid posters objecting about Johnny Foreigner being given the passport contract.

As itā€™s the ā€œorganā€ of our beloved Government I assume the feedback will mean the contract will be rescinded shortly and some bits of blue cardboard, plastic and a microchip will be assembled on an industrial estate in Slough by foreign migrants working on the minimum wage

Itā€™ll be a VICTORY and show the world we mean businessā€¦

FFS

8 Likes

All my passports are different colours.

2 Likes

Please do elaborate and share the rainbow @goatboy

7 Likes

Although a little tongue in cheek, I wonder why an option for individuals to maintain travel, work rights etc could not be worked outā€¦ EU contribution fee per head woudl be around Ā£280 per yearā€¦ + any local taxation if working abroard/vice versa, in effectā€¦

This is the thing though @areloa-grandee , pre EU free movement UK citizens could, and did, work in Europe. I worked in Toulouse for a year on my University placement ('90 - '91) and there were loads of Brits working for Airbus (??) and living in Toulouse. Working as I was for ESA I also knew of loads of Brits working in Holland and Spain.

Loads of my peers from school and University wen Euroraillling without any problemsā€¦

OK, fair enough, at the moment itā€™s probably a lot easier but, pos-Brexit, why wouldnā€™t it be the same as before?? (OK Iā€™ll add the caveat that EU employment laws means that you have to employ someone from the EU before you can go to an outsider!!)

Also, at the moment, if we go to Mainland Europe we still have to show our passports, Iā€™ve not travelled across borders on the Mainland for a while, do people still have to show passports between, say, France and Germany??

Sorry Knottarf, didnt mean to downvote you. Fat fingers! Will upvote another!

I wonder if Jerry got so upset when Norman Foster was given the contract to design the building that would become the hub of their newly unified country. Or whether Pierre got shirty when Richard Rogers was given the contract to design the pompidou centre. I suspect not, the lily livered ponces. No national pride, see, lettiing foreigners have an influence over their cultural and national identity.

5 Likes

Free movement for the wealthy!!

And with different names and photos?

4 Likes

Some really strong points here, Remainers.

I love the way yā€™all have appropriated bits of content from elsewhere and arguing them here, even though no Brexiter on site, at any point, has ever spoffed off about passports.

This is the Remain case in 2018. Still nowt in the way of positive argument. Still refusing to accept reality. Still inexplicably smug, believing that you are correct, without being able to state a single positive case for remaining in the EU.

Still, some unrelated people on comments boards elsewhere said things that confirm your bias. Sit back, consider your strategy in the abstract, and marvel at the circlejerk youā€™ve created.

Just realise that despite the wank, youā€™ve changed the sum total of fuck all. Mwah.

ā€œā€¦Just realise that despite the wank, youā€™ve changed the sum total of fuck allā€¦ā€

Back at you too Pap

Mwah

2 Likes

Is this circlejerk like the pre-match drinking sessions? Iā€™ve never seen a thread started or had a fucking invite :lou_angry:

1 Like

Nah Give teh Brexit voters their dueā€¦ they have created an environment where more extreme POVs and hate crimes are on the up (Pap always keen to point out the ā€˜riseā€™ of the right within EU nations, yet fails to ever acknowledge the empowerment it gave our own ubercunts)

Its a common theme with Paps ever so ā€˜cleverly wordedā€™ attempt-to-be-patronizing-yet-meaning-fuck-all defence. A common theme is his total lack of acknowledgement of anything bad about Brexitā€¦ (Its just the Torys fucking it up inint guv). Remainers have always acknowledged the challenges and discomfort caused by the EU and its policy, but pap is spouting his usual ignorant bollocks when he suggests nothing positive about the EU have been used to defend the positionā€¦ it has frequently, its just that he fails to see any positivity in it because he choses not to, either head in sand or up the arse of 70s out dated doctrine, matters not.

Its like the NHS bus never happened and had no impact, that no racists ever voted Brexit, that there was no impact on the result by a predominently rightwing daily mailesque Little Englender propoganda, that untruths about volume of migrants did not effect the resultā€¦ Ogh and lets not forget his classic O level economics Supply and demand model - where Britain is the only country in the world where nothing else impacts on wage levelsā€¦

There is a shit load wrong with remainingā€¦ there is just a shit load more wrong with brexiting in IMHO - but in Papsworld where your shit smells of roses (most likely why he smears it on his bollocks), There is nothing wrong with Brexit that Corbyn cant put right as we take up our position as a global manufacturing force once again exporting to a tarrif free global market the highest quality and highest demand products the world has yet to seeā€¦ We will all be better off, the streets will be paved with gold and we will be the envy of those filthy foreigners once againā€¦ Elgarā€™s finest pumped through tannoys in the streetā€¦ as we wave our blue hardbacked passports in the faces of any EU tourist daft enough to still want to come hereā€¦ or maybe not.

We are stmbling away from something that we never truely embraced, then complained we had no influenceā€¦ as opposed to thinking about and making it what it should be, if only we were at its heartā€¦

2 Likes

They tend never to have to show passports when travlling say between Spain and France or Germany and NL etcā€¦ I agree that we will still be able to go through some admin to get a visa etc to work and if you dont work, living there wont be a problemā€¦ until you want healthcare when the only option will be to go private etcā€¦ or if you want your pension to continue to rise with inflationā€¦ whhich you are etitled to after having paid all thos eNI contributions for so many yearsā€¦

For folks like me who are half ā€˜foreignā€™ and always felt more European, its a bit shit. The bit that I feel strongly about, but many dont seem to acknowledge is the symbolism of the unity is much more important imho than some believe. The opportunity that freedom of movement creates and what this means for freedom etc is mostly overlooked in favour of the obvious yet not insurmountable admininstrative challenges it brings. All the main challenges that many of the little Englanders who voted Brexit (and just to be clear, that is not saying all who voted Brexit are little Englandrs) are real, but could be managed if there was a will as legislation is already in place to ensure most of itā€¦ but its all pointless now.

Some have made the bed for all of usā€¦ and we have to put up with lying next to those who wet the bed, or smear shit on their bollocks come what mayā€¦

4 Likes

Ah yes, symbolism. Being part of the EU is your way of saying that weā€™re all connected, all the while knowing that your privately educated scions will probably never need to deal with the pressure of class sizes, or have to compete with graduates for minimum wage work.

Personally, I think you can avoid being a giant racist without being part of a political union with an unelected executive. You just have to be prepared to engage with the people that are already here.

Iā€™m certain that the elitist education youā€™ve provided for your kids is giving them all of those opportunities, and that the school is a rainbow of different cultural experiences and whatnot.

Again your classic confused response numerous unrelated and threadsā€¦ You make yourself just look like a complete twat by trying to bring someones educational choices into this debateā€¦ running out of ideas given the rather limit contraints of your ā€˜ideologicalā€™ stance?