:Brexit: Brexit - The Aftermath

It was a joke, calm down.

Its happened now, just got to get on with it. People will make of it what they will. But, like the anti-vaxxers and those denying COVID, I won’t be going out of my way to have much to do with them if I can help it.

#triggered. :smile::smile:

There are those who will moan & those who just get on with it.
I’ve seen the stories about businesses- the Eel guy the small School equipment exporter.
They are moaning.
I’ve also read about the Sausage maker. He is actually more screwed as raw mince is now simply banned not like the school kit just needing separate CE & UK Approval.
So Sausage guy read the rules. Noticed a loophole, he is already gearing up to expand exports because he CAN export frozen mincemeat.
He realised his product had limited shelf life with shipping fresh which, when he called his clients, limited their stocks. Frozen stuff? No problem. It was only in UK that people see frozen sausages as being cheap low quality.
Dude did his research, got on with the new way, recruiting more staff.

This for me is the key, it has ALWAYS been the case in Business, adapt or die. Britain came a long way in innovative solutions & tech, so yes there are barriers. Yes some will be insurmountable but moaning about it isnt the solution
6-9 months is too soon. It can take that long to get a new product through CE, UK Regs, ISO, VDE etc.
But there will be opportunities and failures

3 Likes

I think this is a bigger question than its given credit for

I could somewhat understand it IF it meant that free from the EU, we would have regained our political freedom and were finally going to to have a more just and egalitarian Government that had somehow managed to work out the ideal of economic credibility and success enabling a more inclusive and socially responsible distribution of wealth… but we know that will not be the case, no matter what of Corbyn’s broken dreams.

The establishment is now even more entrenched, one that is further to the right than Thatcher, and one that IS sadly representative of the majority in England as the last election showed us. I suspect that the left is in for a nasty shock. Those up North who 'traditionally voted labour, will not be easily swung back, given how its now much more acceptable to hold certain attitudes and beliefs under the guise of ‘sovereignty’

I Have said from then outset, that it does not matter who or where our political decisions are made, but rather what those decisions are, and the last 12 months has show us that in full technicolour, as Boris and his chums have stumbled and bumbled though the COVID crisis, without censure or any opposition with the teeth to leave an impression. No worries, its mostly a few extra wrinklies that have died hey…

So we await what our new victory of sovereignty will bring us… my hope is that that the younger generations who voted will be more open-minded when it comes to future alignment with our EU neighbours

(Source. www.yougov.com)

We may come to live with all the change and accept it as the new normal, but that does not make it better, just because we make what we can decisions in Westminster…

Why is having concerns ‘moaning’? It is a valid point of view.

Why is ‘getting on with it’ any better, if it means accepting a more difficult and challenging situation? Some business will die through no fault of their own, as it will be impossible to be competitive… yes others will spring up, but to suggest such a black and white argument is somewhat naive… as well a tad insulting to those who have more restricted options…

I suspect Frozen sausage guy will put his prices up as transport of frozen goods becomes more expensive with higher chill demands at -18C and longer customers clearance times… and its hardly a huge export market… his wholesale partners may be fine with that, but will the end customers? (its never just about tariffs)

Business is about evolving to continue to provide a service or goods that there is a market for/or create the market… and over coming administrative obstacles… we were told that without teh EU, we would be free of EU regs and admin… most business that export now have more to do and with that comes additional cost…

Fair enough. Lockdown must have had a deleterious effect on your stand-up career.

The gigs supporting Bobby Chariot are gone. One needs an outlet :man_facepalming:

It’s down to choices

You can use your energy to continually voice concerns about the outcome, knowing that you have no chance of it changing anytime soon, or

You can use that energy to look at our new relationship with the EU and work out how best to exploit it, or if that proves too difficult, seek out new markets

I know where my time will be spent

3 Likes

Yes, but that is the dreamer view. “We were told”.
The reality is 1000+ pages.

Obviously there is no black/white answer other than adapt or die. Find loopholes or close.

Everybody lies.

My company does 95% of its business with EU and US customers, so creating new opportunities is not necessary… and we should remain relatively unaffected by the changes except on expected increases in finial transaction and payment costs… we also have offices in Belgium and Spain so can bill through them if needed or customers prefer dealing with a ‘European’ firm (to answer Polskis point, we did our homework a long time ago…)

But its not just about business… this is the point, I thought Brexiteers were champions of this being NOT just about business but about our way of life… how ‘sovereignty’ will bring all these benefits and how important it all is… does anyone want to share how sovereignty will make a REAL difference to mr average in the street?

No they dont… but just because they did during the Brexit campaign, does not make it right… and establishing new markets should not be about finding ‘loopholes’… being creative is one thing, but freezing your meat is not exploiting a loophole, its merely conforming to EU rules… which is kind of funny when you think about it.

Real difference? To the man in the street?
Yeah.
It is already there.
You cant find a Builder/Plumber for love nor money
:wink:

1 Like

Whatever floats your boat

As Chertsey said, it was a joke, although i do understand that as the months go by and the folly of what this country has just done and the lies and repercussions thereof become clear, you would want to get the thread closed.
One thing’s for sure, whatever happens in the long run, the rich will stay rich, the poor will stay poor, and the people with power will make the poor blame each other for it.
And multi millionaire tax avoiders residing in Monaco will receive Knighthoods.

3 Likes

Boris Johnson’s father applies for French passport! Priceless.

1 Like

Quite amusing. Would love to be a fly on the wall at their next Johnson family gathering. Oh, wait…:man_facepalming:

The Brexit threads are among my favourites. I don’t want them closed, especially as we Leavers are on the downward slope. All we’ve got to is wait and watch more Remain predictions turn to ash, just as most of them have done before.

I asked if the thread should be shut down because within 24 hours, we had a hilarious, but simulatenously violent and aggressive “joke” dropped on us.

If that’s starting as we mean to carry on, perhaps this shouldn’t carry on.

If you don’t keep voicing your concerns you get ignored and whatever fuckwittery the government are currently up to at the time will continue unchallenged (even if they just ignore everyone apart from their mates anyway)

People will be doing this anyway as we no longer have any choice. Doesn’t mean that people have to be happy that it has come to it. It almost sounds like your comment has come straight out of Tory Party Central :wink:

Purposely inflammatory commentary yet again @pap ?

:wink:

From whom?

I wasn’t the one suggesting getting the guns out.

Comedy is not in my blood, it would seem

1 Like

Maybe you should go back the comedy genius thread then - Bill Hicks was not adverse to jokes about guns…

And whilst we are at it, would you mind reminding us all of all the Remainers predictions that have ‘turned to ash’ given that Brexit does not start until midnight so it’s a bit premature to suggest that…