Albums you didn't like at first, but like now

I am currently obsessed with Tame Impala’s new album. I’m talking multiple listenes a day. I am developing a bit of a boy crush on front man Kevin Parker.

Weirdly though, first few listens I was pretty disappointed. I loved their last album, Lonerism, and had been waiting eagerly for their follow up.

So, over to you folks. What albums have crept up on you with time?

Meh, that’s nearly all albums I like. I’m a slow listener when it comes to tunes, and am often distrustful of stuff I like straight away. Took me at least seven listens to realise Funeral was a good album.

The Division Bell - Pink Floyd

2 Likes

That’s funny because I loved it from first listen…it took ages for it to gain airplay but 6 months later they were everywhere. Felt quite superior over all the “Johnny come latelies” :lou_wink:

1 Like

As for ones I didn’t like at first…Casanova by Divine Comedy. I bought it from HMV in town and took it back as it made me shudder…sounded like the soundtrack from a musical. Over the passage of time I kept hearing tracks from it and loved them all and ended up buying the album again a few months later.

I’ve bought pretty much all Neil Hannon’s put out since. :lou_smiley:

1 Like

It’s not an isolated album, but I used to take the piss out of Enter Shikari’s output. Oddly in the last 3 or so years they’ve become one of my very favourite bands.

Coincidentally I had a ticket for the same Shikari gig as a girl I’d been talking to online. It ended up being our first ‘date’ proper and we’ve been together ever since. :laughing:

3 Likes

Almost ashamed to admit this one, but at first I didn’t ‘get’ Grimes at all. Heard loads of hype around ‘Visions’, but at first it did nothing for me.

Left it a while, then whilst grabbing a drunken late night meal, the restaraunt I was in was playing Visions. It just clicked, and now I’m also obsessed with Grimes (I generally don’t do half-measures with music, it’s mostly love or hate).

Didn’t really like The Stone Roses when it was first released. Much preferred Bummed at the time.

1 Like

Is that an album, or are you just giving us an insight into your personal life in the 90’s?

Foo fighters - one by one

Maccabees - First 2 albums.

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Foo fighters - one by one

C’mon, even Dave Grohl doesn’t like that album!

Originally posted by Sfcsim

Maccabees - First 2 albums.

I love the tracks off the first album, though not the album. Only serving to enhance my hipster image I am cultivating, I got into The Maccabees quite early. Saw them 2/3 times before they released the album, and listened to the early demos to death. When they put ‘Colour it in’ out, I felt they overproduced and slowed the songs down too much.

With you on the 2nd one though. Wasn’t really until the 3rd album came out I went back and listened to, and fell in love with ‘Wall of Arms’.

2 Likes

Donald Fagen - Kamikiriad.

Took a good few listens, but ended up being a real favourite. Otherwise, my judgement is exemplary :wink:

1 Like

I see what you did there. Just in case you weren’t just making a cheap joke.

Some great tunes on one by one! All my life, times like these!!

The latest Maccabees album is growing on me. They are a growing on band. I wanted to like them for years, but just could not get into them. Stuck both their first 2 albums in the car on repeat and really liked them.

Same with the Horrors 2nd and 3rd albums… I am no good with album names! Ha ha

Not a whole LP, but I remember that I hardly listened to the second side of For Your Pleasure for many years. It was only after many years that I realised just how brilliant the two long songs on that side are.

I thought the first Ramones LP was shockingly bad when I first heard it, but in remarkably short time I found myself loving it. I still do.

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Not a whole LP, but I remember that I hardly listened to the second side of For Your Pleasure for many years. It was only after many years that I realised just how brilliant the two long songs on that side are.

You and me both, Fowllyd - for years I only ever played Grey Lagoons, which remains one of my favourite Roxy tracks, from the B side of that album; but, like you, I’ve grown to appreciate the other two tracks as the years have gone by.

First year at uni and the Pixies “Surfer Rosa” was released. I really didn’t think that much of it … "Doolittle followed soon after and I realised they were genius.

2 Likes

It took me a while before I fully appreciated Bob Dylan. Sounds ridiculous to say that now, but I was a ballbag when I was younger and knew no better.

2 Likes

Hey, i’m still a ballbag and don’t really get Dylan, David Bowie or Pink Floyd

2 Likes