Albums you didn't like at first, but like now

I’m with you on Pink Floyd, or at least their post-Syd stuff (which is, of course, most of it). Always seems to me they got less and less imaginative and more and more whiny as time went on (yes, Dave and Roger, it really is a terrible life being a massively rich rock star). I like a fair bit of Bowie’s stuff, but by no means all.

Dylan I just love. Always have. But it’s been a few years now since I’ve actually killed anyone for speaking ill of him. I’ve mellowed.

Same here with Pink Floyd. I like Animals.

That’s good to know. My dislike of Pink Floyd probably stems back to living in a shared house in London and having to watch the live at pompeii on video. Bowie seems to change style with whatever’s popular. I won’t argue about Dylan, he’s a legend … In case you find my address and kill me. You may be an ironic Bob Dylan serial killer and finish me off with a harmonica or something.

2 Likes

Ha I actually didnt know the album, but couldn’t resist a cheap gag. Sorry TCK, no harm meant.

The Final Cut as well by Pink Floyd. Oppresively political, but you get used to it after a while.

Oh, and Iron Maiden’s eponymous first album.

Generation Terrorists - Manics. But now love it and nothing else they’ve done. Not a fan of Bob D, Pink F either. But then they’re my mum’s fave bands (she alleges knowing Dave Gilmour back in the day in Cambridge) but also my partners. I keep suggesting they go to some gig together. Pap is still hoping I’ll like the Sleater Kinny album he gave me for a birthday present.

Ah, you give a girl The Woods and she can’t see it for the trees.

Sure I’ll be alone in still following this guy but the latest Fish album is absolutely fantastic.

His best work since leaving Marillion. Like most of his stuff it requires several listens. Ideally with a single malt and a copy of the lyrics in front of you. The opus about the WWI trenches is deeply moving. Perfume river is about the aftermath of the Vietnam war. Played it to the father of a US friend who cried after listening to it - very moving.

Fish - Feast of Consequences

I wrote to him afterwards as his music has been a huge part of my life and his lyrics really are phenominal at times. He wrote back to me with a lengthy reply and posted me ( at his own cost) a piece of artwork from the album signed by himself and mark wilkinson. To say I was chuffed is an understatement

3 Likes

what’s his address? I’ve got a space in my hallway that I need a picture for.

1 Like

Fish

Fratton Park

Fratton

Portsmouth

WTF 1LN

6 Likes

Nice postcode. :smile:

3 Likes