Your all time top 10 films

I think Pap and Furbs should just get it on and be done with it!

2 Likes

Nah, touch typing and in a rush as someone wanted something doing, too late to go back and edit too!!

I would put an embarassed smiley here but there seems to be a distinct lack of decent stock ones on the forumā€¦

2 Likes

They are slowly building up to it, itā€™s all a grand bit of foreplayā€¦

Does anyone else love Cloud Atlas or is it just me?

Enjoyed the book. Not seen the film.

You may not like it then, always difficult to enjoy a film after reading the book.

Cloud Atlas? Cloud Atlas? Love story across the years with Tom Hanks? Think I need to watch it again to really understand it?

Oh, I know Tom Cruise isnā€™t the most popular but I did enjoy Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion

They used to hate each other back in the day I thinkā€¦

Thereā€™s a fine line between love and hate, Jonnyboyā€¦

1 Like

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Thereā€™s a fine line between love and hate, Jonnyboyā€¦

Using one of the examples on this thread, weā€™re Belloq and Indy. I will leave the readers to do the casting. Paul Freeman is a top actor though, so I really donā€™t care where this one lands.

I saw a meer 125 of 500 of those films. Never seen al of the Hobbity / Lord of the rings ones which brings me right down.

My faves are (this week):

Amelie

Cry Baby

Edward Scissorhands

GoodFellas

Cinema Paradiso

La Vita E Bella

Cidade de Deus

Mediterraneo

Lost Boys

Outsiders

My friend often asks me to list my top 10 songs when I visit her. We then drunkly youtube them until the early hours. I have about 2 that are always in my top ten. The rest are more fluid.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldnā€™t bother goats.

No offence NP, I really liked the book but didnā€™t enjoy the film so much tbh.

No offence taken. Itā€™s often the case, when reading a good book you form your own image in your mind which a film is unlikely to reproduce. Also trying to squeeze a book into 120 mins of film is difficult to say the least. Luckily Iā€™m not much of a reader and so quite often read a book after watching the film.

What an awful list! Some of the ordering is plain bizarre.

But it did remind me of some amazing films I forgot to include in my original list:

Misfits

Dir: John Huston

Arthur Miller wrote the film for his wife Marilyn Monroe, but their marriage ending during production created a backdrop of tension and mistrust. Marilyn was upset the film Miller that wrote for her, was ultimately a story about men and the end of an era, and I can empathise with her. But the film itself is incredibly moving. Marilyn should have got an Oscar.

A Canterbury Tale

Dir: Michael Powell

I love this film - an evocative mystery set in war time, gives such a feel for mystical old England.

You can watch the whole film here:

Nice to see mentions for Edge of Tomorrow & Oblivion, both unusual Sci-Fi stories and amongst Tom Cruiseā€™s best. Tomorrow shades it for me in a Groundhog day way.

Spooky moment tonight. I questioned Pap and mentioned classic old Sci-Fi end of world stuff & mentioned The Day the Earth Stood still (both versions) and bingo it was on TV tonight. The remake was OK but then John Cleese & Jayden Smith starred in it so it never had a chance especially when the chick didnā€™t have to remember Klaatuu Barada Nichtuā€¦

One bloody good film that I guess doesnā€™t resonate so well with you guys back home is Zero Dark Thirty. That is a damned good film and while probably only a smattering of the truth proves a damn fine historical record of those years.

Might even make my final list

As far as I can remember, these are the only films Iā€™ve watched more than once (by choice), so I suppose that must mean they are my favourites:

One Flew Over The Cuckooā€™s Nest
Saving Private Ryan
The Deer Hunter
Naked Gun
Itā€™s A Wonderful Life
Educating Rita
Billy Elliot
High Plains Drifter
The Lives of Others
To Kill A Mocking Bird
Jesse James (the 1939 one with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda)
The Exorcist

Iā€™m surprised no oneā€™s (including me) mentioned All the Presidentā€™s Men. I watch that knowing practically every line of dialogue, which means Iā€™ve seen it at least a dozen times (almost cetainly more).

Iā€™ve only seen it once, on a plane. Really enjoyed it but havenā€™t seen it enough times to be placing it anywhere.

Anyone mentioned Das Boot yet? Almost made my list.

I think lists by decade of release may be a good refinement of this thread. Just too many good/meaningful films to name a final 10.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @pap

Anyone mentioned Das Boot yet? Almost made my list.

The reason I donā€™t list it, as much as I admire it, is that it was originally, and better as, a TV series. If you havenā€™t seen it in that form Iā€™d recommend giving it a go.